Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods The Rolling Bones " Y - Block ' Bonneville challenge

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ROLLINGBONES 1A, Jul 15, 2013.

1. ROLLINGBONES 1A

ROLLINGBONES 1A

In the spirit of Mark Morton's HUNDRED MILE AN HOUR CLUB and of HOP UP fame We are starting a Bonneville Y - Block Challenge .
    here's the rules
    1- you must have raced a y - block powered car / truck last year
    2- you must present your best speed from last year to us either in the Nugget Parking lot or on the salt before the start of racing on Saturday
    3- the winner will be determined at the end of racing Tuesday in the parking lot of the Nugget at 6:30 - bring your speed slip . If you leave before Tuesday night present your best speed before you leave , if you win you pay the shipping of the cup to you.
    4-the winner is determined by most improvement over last years speed - no handy cap , no sliding scale , no spot , simply who ever gains the most speed over the previous year
    5- the winner takes possession of the cup and bragging rights for the year
    6- the winner pays for the engraving costs of name - class -speed and year
    7-new y - block racers from this year will be eligible for next years CHALLENGE
    and are invited to the winner " CEREMONY " to be held in the parking lot of the Nugget 6:30 on Tuesday while leaning on our hot rods , telling lies and toasting the winner .
    8-this may well be a two horse race this year ( unless there are others out there from last year that we don't know about ) but if your racing a y-block this year for the first time introduce yourselves and join the friendly challenge next year.
    9-NUMBER NINE THE MOST IMPORTANT RULE OF ALL - If you have some stupid comment or problem with us having little fun and camaraderie with fellow y - block racers and vintage racers in general please display your vast knowledge on some other thread.
    Remember - IT'S NOT HOW FAST YOU GO - IT'S HOW YOU GO FAST
    THE ROLLING BONES

Attached Files:

2. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

This should be illegal. Encouraging hoodlums to go fast in their vehicles? Shame on you all.

MAY THE BEST MAN WIN! Sounds like a good time to me!

3. badshifter

badshifter

I'm building a Y Block for Fred Dupuis.... Yes, that Fred. You'll be sorry!
    Im sure he'll tell you all about it........
    Hope this doesn't violate the no dumb comments policy.

4. ROLLINGBONES 1A

ROLLINGBONES 1A

Hey your in Utah so you must be on the salt to , anybody's welcome to lean on our beat up old hot rods and tell of few lies , come on by

5. ROLLINGBONES 1A

ROLLINGBONES 1A

Yes there is ONLY ONE FRED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! of course any comment about Fred can certainly be classified in many ways.

6. Cool! I don't have a Y block and I won't be racing at Bonneville in the near future, but I like the spirit of camaraderie and competition that you guys are creating with this one.

I'll be interested to see who the inaugural winner is!

7. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

Im in, just not this year. My other 32 5w patiently waiting will be y-block powdered and it will go to the salt. Keep this fun going. BTW.....i am looking for a 6x2 y-block intake.

8. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

My Y-block has been sitting on the Garage floor for 4 years now waiting for my Merc to get chopped..
    I have raced around it looking for things all that time.
    Does that mean I get a zero for this year as a starting point?

9. ROLLINGBONES 1A

ROLLINGBONES 1A

Let me think ............. AH ...NO
    but in the words of Larry " GET R DONE " bring her out and run and once you have a base line your in

10. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

I never miss it! I'll probably see you feller's at the Salt Flats Speed Shop if you're going this year. I'll see you at the Nugget too, and out in the pits. I'll be helping TMAN out with the HAMB BBQ, and probably spending most of my time in Tim's (Y BLOCK GUY) pit. If you see the big yellow wagon say "hi". I'm hoping to see him chime in here as I think he's the man for taking this trophy this year!

11. Winner pays for the engraving? haha

Why stop there? How about winner has to buy enough beer for whoever shows up at the Nugget

12. I'll take that challenge!

13. awesome!

14. Great idea ! I'm in New Zealand , so if I load up my Y block and bring it as hand luggage will one of you good buggers lend me a car to run it in so I qualify for next year ?? :D:D

15. yblock32

yblock32
    from Australia
    1. Cranksters

Sounds like a lot of fun guys.Unfortunately I'm just a little too far away to be joining in. :D
    Best of luck to all of you.:cool:

16. It would be a hell of a feat to join both clubs with the same car

17. Yes, we shall. ;)

My money is on Tim this year, and not because I crew for him......................

18. rebelrat

rebelrat

When I saw the challenge I immediately thought of you Tim........go get um mate.........:D

19. the-rodster

the-rodster

Don't you guys have enough excuses to drink beer, without making up new ones? :)

Rich

20. There are no excuses for drinking beer, only reasons!

21. jangleguy

jangleguy

Puttin' all my money on Tim! Go man, go!

T-bag: Where and when is the BBQ? I'm hungry already...

22. Looking like Sat night at the new Museum site.

23. jangleguy

jangleguy

Thanks T-bolt! See you there.

24. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

This is good.

25. Now this is a GREAT IDEA!!!! I like it. Plus I like the idea of the winner buying the beer also. How about buying some G&T as they go down soooooooooo good at the nuggett for some reason....But we have to have Gary there to make them.
    But I have to put my money on Keith as I think he is going to make the 200+ mark this year.....GO KEITH!! I am pulling for ya. Hell I will even push ya if it will help.
    Mayor Dennis

26. Funny.... The rules state that any engine "called " a y-block could win...

Verification seems marginal ..."is that a y -block in there? Yup!"

27. ROLLINGBONES 1A

ROLLINGBONES 1A

We have to admit Tim will be the favorite since he will have Ted,s heads and news pistons and it is easier to gain more speed starting at 150 than it is at 185 BUT YOU GUYS JUST DON'T KNOW HOW SMART ( devious ) WE BONERS ARE . See we figure that the winner will be so happy winning a used trophy turned around backward so ya can't see is was for an old lady's bowling league that he or she will want to buy the beer and gin and tonic's.

28. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Since someone implied that Lincoln Y blocks were included in this challenge, I have to ask. What constitutes what we call a Y block. Is it the actual design of the pan rail? Or is it the stacked ports that Ford built into the engine they called Y block? I say it's really the ports. Lots of non Ford V8 engines have deep blocks. But they are not called Y blocks. And i know that 8 of the 10 head bolt holes locations are the same between Y blocks and Windsor/Cleveland Fords. So you could have a very good breathing Y block if you are only concerned with the block design. Or you could have a very large 400 inch plus Y block with really restrictive heads if your only concerned with head design. So I think a Y block is a 239 through 312 inch stacked port engine, as a starting point.

29. Splitting hairs Rich. We all know what they meant!

Same reason a Rover is not a Nailhead.

30. ROLLINGBONES 1A

ROLLINGBONES 1A

THANKS Tman , For a minute i started getting a HEADACHE