Register now to get rid of these ads!

Patented by my Grandfather 1934, handed down to me.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by trukin55, Jul 19, 2013.

1. trukin55

trukin55

I thought you guys might think this is cool. It is to me. Made by my Grandfather and patented by his Brother in 1934. The first electrical cut off switch for the automobile. Some might say an anti theft device. Anyway, It was handed down to me and I had to show it to someone. I have a copy of the Patent attached, Hope it opens.

Attached Files:

302GMC, Chuck Craig and kiwijeff like this.
  2. Jibs

Jibs

That's cool!!

3. raidmagic

raidmagic

That's really cool

4. Roadsir

Roadsir

That's a great piece of family history. I'd frame the switch, and patent in a shadow box, and a write a note on the history on the back so your family can pass it down for years to come.

5. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

Trukin,
    Thanks for sharing that. Obviously, your grandfather was a very smart man. And I'm sure you're very proud of his accomplishments.

6. roughneck424

roughneck424

That's cool and like mentioned should be framed and saved for years to come.

On an other note. That cool old "Patent Art" is still used today. I was just talking to a guy who was filling a patent and had all the new fangled autocad drawings. In order to get a patent. He had to have it redone to " Patent Art' or the typical old school look.

7. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Any more pics of it? Looks like he was ahead of his time.

8. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I don't know what's cooler, the switch or the patent art work. Very cool piece of your family history. Was it ever manufactured or used?

9. trukin55

trukin55

I dont know how far it went in sales or what happened with it. It was given to me by my Uncle. He claims to have the cover, still looking for it. he says that the cover has both names on it, Gramps and his Brothers names. In a fancy way. hope he finds it.
    The best part, I have a 1934 Chevy project waiting for me to start. Coincidence on the 1934 part. but makes it even cooler to me.
    More pics attached , per request.

Attached Files:

10. trukin55

trukin55

Gramps, never had a drink of alcohol, never had a credit card, never borrowed a dime. worked two full time jobs till he retired. Then was bored so he went back to work as a CTA bus driver, then a maintenance man at the local retirement home. he was older than most of the people living there. He was 80 when he stopped working, and went on for another 12 years doing things around the house and for neighbors. He had two Motto's. "If I am gonna lay down, I might as well stay down" and " I'll get all the rest I need , when I die."
    Sorry to go on so much about Gramps, but he is my true life's hero! Thanks for listening.

11. Paul

Paul
    Editor

very cool, thanks for sharing

12. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

No apologies needed. His work ethic is what's missing these days. Too many people sitting on their asses waiting for others to do something. Do you or are you planning to incorporate the switch in your build?

13. Is it missing the rod or arm to activate it?
    Pulling on the arm with the split silver button would cause the
    the rubber wiper to push on the curved bar, breaking the battery
    lead contact. Very clever and simple........Frame it!

14. trukin55

trukin55

It's cable operated. I think I could make it work. Probably frame it as suggested

15. trukin55

trukin55

The arm is there. Works perfectly. Would just have to attach a cable.

16. D.B. Cooper

D.B. Cooper
    from SD

I wish I'd have gotten to meet him. There were a lot like him from that generation and before, not sure what happened but folks like him are kind of rare these days. Blame it on the gubmint.

17. pug man

pug man
    from louisiana

Wow, thanks for sharing that with all of us. Your pride shows and there is not a thing wrong with that. I liked what his work ethic was to. Don't make em like that anymore.

18. AHotRod

AHotRod

That's something to be proud of !

19. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

That is a really cool piece. What a great bit of family history.

20. If you decide to shadowbox it I will be happy donate an engraved plate with as much verbiage as you want.

PM me if your interested.
    Kevin

21. jrb2

jrb2

That is very cool. Did anything come of his invention? That is, did anyone ever produce it, or offer to buy the rights?

My grandfather patented the "combination collar and hames" in the 1920's. I have a box full of correspondence from people offering to produce it under license or just buy it outright. Of course this took place just as tractors were replacing horses on the farm and nothing ever became of it.

22. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

Cool. Very cool....

23. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

Top notch brother. Only on the HAMB.:cool:

24. That's too cool! I'd be real tempted to install it! Maybe make or have one made??

25. Quick call the NHRA...........

26. chop32

chop32

Very cool...thanks for sharing this and the proud words about your Grandfather!

27. Phil Stevens

Phil Stevens

that's very clever with the dashboard mounted cable, you can be truly proud of
    your Grandfather's ability

28. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

I think this is really a interesting piece of engineering and family history. One would have to suspect that it would be rare to have all the pieces of the history of an invention. Hopefully you will find the cover for, please let us know if you do.

Agree that building some type of display cabinet would be a fitting tribute to your grandfathers inventive life. Sounds like a very hard working man.

Thank you for sharing the story and photographs.

29. I concur!:cool:

30. USA Tires Sign Joe

USA Tires Sign Joe
    from Western NJ

Now that is great stuff!! Thanks for posting.