Register now to get rid of these ads!

steering column ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by duchan, Jul 17, 2013.

1. duchan

duchan
    from Antigo, WI

I'm looking to up grade my steering column, in my 62 buick special, I recently put a 3 speed trans in, and a steering rack, and the old column is not working very good, directional switch is broke shift indicator is off from the old 2 speed trans. What gm car or truck would be a donor ,30" column shift tilt or not.

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

3. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you want tilt and PRNDL, I'd try a mid '60s Cadillac.

4. I guess I would look at columns from similar cars (GM compact) from a few years newer and see how they compare. You may be able to upgrade your column with a new turn signal switch and the correct gear indicator

5. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

I'd be at Pick-Your-Part with a tape measure.

6. Shot in the dark... '67 Buick Electra with tilt.

7. Depends whether you want a keyed column or not. Keyed ones are all over the junkyard. Non-keyed with tilt are tough to come by, and some years the directional switch can be a problem, they break inside. Unless you find a you-pull yard expect to pay at least $150.

Indicator is probably adjustable, whether or not the switch exists is a matter of searching.

8. duchan

duchan
    from Antigo, WI

I'll have to head to the junk yard.

9. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

Ididit has several Chevy columns. One of them may be close enough to fit with a few modifications. Give them a call. They are great guys.