Register now to get rid of these ads!

Photochopped my 62 Valiant...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by guitard, Jul 18, 2013.

1. guitard

guitard

Here is the before shot, before the photochop & before I rescued it from a doomed old yard. It was so ugly it deserved another chance... and then the after shot. Chopped, lowered, recurved rear quarter glass, removed bumpers, filled rear doors, shaved a little. Interesting what that did to the look of the car.

Attached Files:

2. VintageFordDan

VintageFordDan
    from Alabama

3. guitard

guitard

I don't think there's an angle on these cars that isn't funky. Virgil Exner had an interesting relationship with line & proportion.

4. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

Very interesting effect from reworking that C-pillar. Makes it look a little like this Raymond Loewy Studebaker prototype:
    [​IMG]

5. Big improvement,,it would be a labor of love to transform the ugly duckling into a swan,,,well,maybe not a swan but something with more style,,,go for it! HRP

6. guitard

guitard

Yeah, Hotrodprimer - that was the main surprise is what just a big chop & a little tin work did for it. Fixed lots of lines. Still ugly as hell, but I'd drive the heck out of it. El Cheapo paint & scallop job and it'd be about the coolest little economy car around.

Now actually DOING that chop... that's another story. I know I'm a little odd but the more I look at the after shot the cooler it looks to me. Hmmm...

7. R Pope

R Pope

Try blanking that window out completely. Just too many posts on those little guys!
    They are a good car, just kinda homely. Old Tom McCahill said in a writeup that if they'd been made in Europe and priced double what Mopar sold 'em for, they would have sold like hotcakes!
    I once toyed with making a convertible out of one, get rid of the top and they look pretty good.

8. guitard

guitard

I did try that with the blanking out, it didn't do it for me... too much of a Carson effect, which is wasted on something as weird as this IMO. It needed a curve up there to resolve that hideous area.

If you split all the odd lines and curves and fins of this car into two, you might get two good looking cars out of it. But all together it's just the strangest looking thing... if you aren't looking at one in person, walking around it, you don't have the full picture.

I've been looking at it in my driveway for months now... sometimes I laugh, sometimes I cry. Here's a frontal... forgive the lame-ass shading etc. Just squint at it. Probably better off that way anyway. Maybe bumperettes? A La Kart style?

With the mods, that's 10 times better looking. It's only as funky as an old Citroen now...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  9. mrjynx

mrjynx
    BANNED

And people complained about edsels? I don't know how the public reacted to these but how did it not financially ruin them?

EDIT heres a 61 lancer someone did.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 19, 2013