Register now to get rid of these ads!

UPDATE: Is this a good trade? '47 Ford for '60 Bel Air?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Thor1, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Man, the HAMB is leaning toward 'Chevy Power' magazine! LOL

'46-'48 Fords are the 'ugly ducklings'? Looks like history is being changed unanimously.

2. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

IF your '60 is a daily driver-meaning winter time as well, then I assume it's got a good heater/defroster...??? Does the Ford have that...??? IS it as good as the '60's...??? I doubt it.

Your '60 is capable of 75mph on the highway and getting where you want to go in relative comfort...I suspect the stock Ford is not.

It's hot and humid in Wis. in the summer...your '60 has A/C...are you willing to give that up for a Ford that has none...???

IF the Ford were already street rodded, then the swap might be worth it, IMHO, your '60 can be improved on easier and cheaper than the Ford...and if you want to see a '60 Chevy wagon being built,that was in worse shape than your '60 go here: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=785551&highlight=the+2nd+best+60+chevy

R-

3. 54rat210

54rat210

Anytime u leave Ford for Chevy is a good decision.

4. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

keep th 60, but lower it and put skinny white walls on those cragers.

5. estes

estes

skinny whites on Supremes and lowered....

6. banginona40

banginona40

I would go with the Ford. Just my preference, but repaints scare me and I don't really like the color.

7. I don't care which way you go, but for a frame of reference....[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    I paid $8,000 for this bone stock good running 47 Super Deluxe showing 60,000 miles here in Texas about a year ago. If that helps.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
  8. wheels777

wheels777
    from York, PA

9. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mike, your '47 is what I had in mind with the changes I would make - that looks nice by the way. I like the stance.

10. bubblesbacon

bubblesbacon
    from wisconsin

looks like both cars need work.. the older the better is what I prefer. and I don't understand why 47 fords are considered ugly... I think they are great looking, some of the best looking fords, but from my avatar you can see I like the big bodies... I think there is a lot more options on the old ford while the chevy is cool and hard to go from the stock look, if you are looking for a project that you can build your way, the ford would be my choice.. besides it's only money and I never look at resale value because I would rather build a car my way for my taste than have to build it to some other standard just so it can sell better... just my humble opinion... :D

11. 302aod

302aod
    from Pelham,Tn.

Trade!!! I'd rather have an ugly Ford, than an ugly Chevy.

12. bubblesbacon

bubblesbacon
    from wisconsin

As far as I am concerned there were no ugly cars built before 1970, after that the trend towards ugly began. Anything 1950 or older are just cool!:D

13. I'd do that trade in a heart beat. 41-48 Ford's kick ass!!

My old 41

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

15. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

I would keep the 60 as a daily driver then save and build a hot rod

16. Mercchev

Mercchev

I agree with what StudeDude says...Keep the 60.

17. Torchie

Torchie

Ok my two cents worth having owned each of the style cars you are talking about.
    For everyday driving you would be better off with the 60. The 47 will have no turn signals(You can add them). Vacume wipers.(You can replace with electric) and a drive train that was not designed to go 65mph plus on the highway(You say you want to swap out the engine anyway)
    My 60 Belair that I just sold was stone stock with the exception of a 66 283 and an aluminum powerglide. Lowered it slightly and it was a great driving car. My wife and daughter drove it from Northern MI to N Carloina in 1 day.
    Costwise in my neck of the woods the two cars are a wash. The 47 looks to be in nice shape.
    If you are wanting a fat fendered car instead of the flatwing one go for it. But if it was me I would stay with the Chevy,do a trans swap and still drive the crap out of it while you continue to work on it.
    If you are going to re enginer the whole drivetrain anyway look for a roller for less money.

18. Paul B

Paul B

Keep the Chevy

19. 55FORDWGN

55FORDWGN

I have seen both cars on Craigs list in my area, both intrigued me. Good luck with your decision.

20. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Do you have the funding on hand to make that 47 Ford the same reliable driver as your 60 already is?
    In trading, you will loose the ability to drive the 60 until you can get the Ford up to pace, will that be a problem? You will probably loose at least the rest of this driving season with the Ford upgrade.

From where I'm sitting, I would find the guy that wanted to trade his 46-48 Ford street rod for the 4 door 58 Chevy, at least there you could still be driving your ride instead of working on it. Point is, there are other options out there, be sure this is the one you want to take. Gene

21. brandon

brandon

Funny how i find this post.....i replied to the other side of the coin last night on a different site.....too bad its in northern wisc and im building a house:rolleyes:

22. 3340

I Would Keep The Chevy.

23. The37Kid

The37Kid

That Chevy looks too nice to swap for that Ford, and I'm a Ford guy. Bob

24. S.F.

S.F.

keep the 60, that thing is rad

25. Here is my take....

as far as 59-64 Chevy's go 60 is by far the least desirable. Yours looks in nice shape. It's probably worth what you are asking and it looks like a good driver. You can't beat a old chevy for a daily driver. Parts are super easy to get.

I personally like the Ford, it looks pretty good, but will definitely need more routine maintenance. the are fairly close in value. It all depends on what you want more.

26. Squablow

Squablow

Value wise, I'd say they're about equal. $6K for the '60 seems right, and you'd be hard up to find any pre-war driveable Ford around here for less than that, especially a 2 door.

It's more about what you like better, and what you want to do with it. I agree with those who have posted that value-wise it's a wash.

27. RatPin

RatPin

Need more details to give a good answer, but all things even I'd keep the '60.

28. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I guess it depends on whether you like cars or really old cars. I like older cars, but those Belairs kick ass.

29. Give the the Ford any day of the week.

Lets see,,rusty Chevy,,not rusty Ford,,HRP

30. if you keep the 60 I have already said I would don't lower it it looks great with the stance it has now not all big chevys need to be lowriders some are allowed to be hotrods and have some originality