Register now to get rid of these ads!

Worlds Smallest T Roadster?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I think that this has a very strange design history...it is based on the Hubley "1932 Ford Custom Roadster" die cast kit rather than on any full scale reality...though I have never managed to find what could have been Hubley's inspiration.
    Like the Hubley "1932", which dates back to my childhood during the early Iron Age, it seems to be a slightly curved up 1927 T with an Offenhauser engine! From that website below it seems they took the whole chassis from their Indy car.

http://www.hubleykits.com/

Even when I was 12 I was baffled by the 1932 appellation...the Piccolo folks must have done a bit of research to clarify the name, but the visual origin is still very clear.
    I've always assumed that someday I would bump into a picture of the real car behind the Hubley model deep in an East Coast small mag...but so far it has not happened, and the world is rapidly running out of small mags I haven't seen!
    Both are cool cars...and I still believe that somewhere there was a real hotrod behind the design!

3. flamingokid

flamingokid

The proportions are a bit out of whack,but I love Schuco.

4. This one is pretty small. :D HRP

5. Swiss50chevy

Swiss50chevy

6. weez

weez

Jimmy C. did this for me 10 years ago- I got at a dollar store in Tokyo and gave it to him, a year later I got this in the mail, painted up like the Earl Bruce Mercedes! It's pretty stinkin' small, I was blown away-

Attached Files:

7. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

Wouldn't that be a "Yen" store?

Always loved that Von Dutch flame job.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. weez

weez

100 yen store= $1 store... I didn't want to confuse anyone, so I was confusing.

9. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

That's what she said!...sorry I'm logging off now.:D

10. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Kinda makes me want to build an HO scale (1/87) model railroad now.

11. desotot

desotot

That is small,, and very cool.

12. kenmo

kenmo

13. big-daddy-george

big-daddy-george
    from New York

To expand on what Bruce mentioned, Schuco also made a 1/43 wind up version with steering of the Offy powered 27 t bodied hot rod that was a very close if not exact to the larger Hubley Hot Rod kit. Strange combo indeed. I think the Schuco version was made before the Hubley KIt.

14. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

So...has anyone found an origin for the thing?? Very interesting body and general look... not what you'd expect to turn up from toy companies seeking inspiration for a hotrod.

15. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I've noticed the connection between the Schuco Micro Racer (windup), the Hubley roadster, and the Hubley Indy car before, too.

I assumed that, since the Offy engine made sense in the Indy car, that it was probably done first (it also has the first model #); that the Hubley "1932" was tooled to share the Indy car chassis, and that the Schuco Micro Racer was copied from the Hubley .

I've never seen the Piccolo version before, but it appears to be a miniature version of the Micro Racer.

16. Cool! How much they go for?