Register now to get rid of these ads!

UPDATE: Is this a good trade? '47 Ford for '60 Bel Air?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Thor1, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

See post #81 for an update

Hey Gang...I need some input.

I've been thinking about sending my '60 Bel Air down the road and I got a call tonight from a guy with a '47 Ford two door sedan and he said he would like to trade straight up.

My Bel Air is a daily driver that has rock solid sheet metal other than the trunk floor, tail panel and a little bit of rust just starting to form behind the rear tires. It is in its original paint. Has the original powerglide with a mid-80's small block of unknown displacement. Seats and carpet are okay but needs headliner and door panels. Most everythign works and it has aftermarket AC. I have a few more pictures of the Bel Air in my album.

The Ford is a stock driver that appears to be rust free top to bottom. Has the flathead and three speed on the column. The interior will need to be redone. I have a few pictures below.

Now for a few questions.

1. I was asking $6K for the Bel Air. Is that a reasonable price for the Bel Air?
    2. What is the Ford is worth as it sits?
    3. Is this a good trade?

I know people hate "what's it worth" threads but this would be my first experience with a car this old that still is running a flathead. I have no frame of reference to work from on this so i am looking for some guidance.

Thanks in advance fro any help you can offer.

Thor

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  2. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll try to get some bigger pictures of the ford posted.

3. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

I wouldn't do it.

Your bel-air is a great looking, dependable, comfortable car.

That Ford will need work to be a highway cruiser, and replacement parts will be triple the cost of the '60

Maybe just change some small things on your car like the wheels and tires or stance or something so it feels "fresh"...

Or if you've always been dying for a 47 Ford Sedan then go ahead and trade ;)

4. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

And by the way, I would pay 6k for your Bel-Air, but I don't know what they're worth.

5. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Streamliner, thanks for the response.

Here are some bigger pictures of the Ford. Hopefully they will show up.

Attached Files:

6. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

not even ford guys like those things, but it does seem like a nice one---keep the 60 ...

7. TERPU

TERPU

Keep the '60

Tim

8. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sounds about right...depending on a few things.

The Ford is a pretty good looker. And as you said, seems to be really solid. But ya gotta make sure it's a good runner/driver too...especially if you're planning on driving it as much as you do your Chevy. It won't be a highway flyer due mostly to the gear ratio of the rear axle. Though I think that can be changed without too much trouble. Is it close enough to you that you can take it for a nice long test drive?...over bumpy roads and all? Engine runs great with no issues? Perfect clutch? Shifts nice? Real good brakes? No loosey goosey steering? Everything works? Also look at stuff like panel fit. Do the doors, hood and decklid open and close nicely? Windows roll up and down easily? All the lights work with turn signals? You know.

Be honest with yourself about what you'd really have to change or fix to make it the car you want or need. Try to look at it with your head, not your heart.

Past that, I'd say it depends on your tastes. Good luck.

9. When I opened this I thought I was going to be congratulating you on swindling some sucker out of a flat fin for the cost of a 47 Ford......

10. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Btw...Your Chevy is a pretty cool car. And it's obviously good and tight and dependable to be a daily driver. Don't be too quick to give it up. Streamliner makes good point. You might rather do some work to your Chevy to make it even cooler than it already is.

11. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If the Ford was a good running solid business coupe, I'd trade in a second. But it's not.

12. ColinCS

ColinCS

I vote keep the '60 also. Could be even cooler with minor tweaks, whereas the '47 Ford...well, it's a '47 Ford.

13. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Go to http://www.nadaguides.com/Classic-Cars/Manufacturers and compare the two. Prices listed are for low-average-high retail
    47 Ford Deluxe 5800-6600-13,300 Super Deluxe 6675-7225-14150
    58 Chevy 5925-8300-15600
    I like all the 46 to 48 Fords and would make the trade but the Ford would have to be in better condition relative to the Chevy to make it an even money trade. I've owned a lot of flatheads and have no fear of driving them as a daily driver.

14. Muttley

Muttley

No way, your Chevy is much cooler than that Ford.

15. thebrisbanebennetts

thebrisbanebennetts
    from Australia

Dont do it. The Bel will end up being a better bet further down the line and you will be kicking yourself that you made the deal. Its a 47 ford! Spend some coin on the Bel enjoy what you have. Remember the grass is not always green on the other side of the fence.

16. Agree with most of the posts, keep the Chevy. Great looking car by the way.

17. I am a big Ford fan, but that Bel Air looks a peach. I'd keep the Bel Air for sure. Hands down.

18. Keep the bowtie. Of the pre 50's Fords 47's are far from my favorite. Just lowering the Chevy would be a huge improvement in looks.

19. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Keep the Bel Air.

20. my vote... belair, for numerous reasons

21. raidmagic

raidmagic

I read the other side of this thread on Yellow Bullet. Kinda funny having two posts from both sellers. A few questions to ask.

1) why are you selling the 60?
    2) are you willing to get into more work to have a daily?
    3) do you really use it as your daily or just drive it alot?
    4) do you like the style of a 47 Ford?

Me personally, 60 Chevys are my favorite body styles. I would not make that trade but you are clearly ready to move on or you wouldn't have your car for sale. I think your asking price is fair. That 47 would be a cool and fun car to own.

22. im with the rest of the guys keep the 60 id love to have one myself

23. I gonna go against popular opinion,I like the Ford. HRP

24. 30FordNerd

30FordNerd

Keep the bel air.

25. forty1fordpickup

forty1fordpickup

I'm a Ford guy. I like that '47, but I like the Bel Air more. Most of the '59-60 Chevys rusted away around here. Yours is a keeper.

26. brad chevy

brad chevy

Money value and popularity is higher on the Chevy. If you trade you will never see $6000 out of the Ford. If you are selling the Chevy to just find something different keep looking.

27. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

Thor 1, good luck with your decision. I have been struggling all week myself with basically the same trade. In my case I have a really clean and solid 58 Biscayne 4dr. with a fresh 327 and 350 turbo. The car runs and drives excellent-original interior, glasspacks, etc. I have the opportunity to trade for a 46 2dr. sedan. It's an 80's build with 302/c-4 and Granada 8" on parralel leafs. It drives good. Just needs to be freshened up. It's a tough decision. Sam

Attached Files:

28. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the input so far guys. I'm really torn.

The '46-'48 Fords are definitely one of the ugly ducklings out there. If I got it I would want to lower it about 4" all the way around, give it a little bit of a rubber rake with some chrome reverse wheels or similar and I would like to put a T5 in it to make it more highway friendly. That will mean converting it to an open drive instead of the torque tube. It will all cost money.

The Bel Air while being pretty solid needs a lot of work too. I'm not looking forward to redoing the trunk, tail panel and rear wheel wells. All of the rubber around the doors, trunk and windows needs to be replaced as well. I guess I'm just looking for something different but I appreciate the "grass is not always greener on the other side" comments.

You've all given me a lot to think about. I will reflect on it for a couple days.

Thanks,

Thor

29. 59bones

59bones
    from Illinois

I'm biased but I would keep the 60.

Running, driving and you know what it needs vs an ugly ass (sorry folks) underpowered Ford.

30. 61 chevy

61 chevy

NO, a coupe, yes