Register now to get rid of these ads!

Support from your wife/girlfriend.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34Larry, Jun 14, 2013.

1. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

2. stimpy

stimpy

mine about a 7 , she knows Its my out , I won't be caught at a bar or buying a case of beer a day like my useless neighbor who can screw up changing a headlight , as long as her daily driver is fixed I am allowed to play , and lately the DD needed some major attention ( upper end work ) so now that its fixed I can work on mine , and she knows the work is good and the parts I buy are good too . before she met me , she taken by many so called garage robbers , and these were people her father said were good , and I am finding they are hacks !

my ex wife hated my car hobby , untill she had to ride her bike or walk to work because I refused to fix hers if I couldn't work on mine .

3. LSGUN - sorry for staring for so long, but take it as a compliment! :)

Reminds me of when me and my 49 year old wife went to a Halloween party / costume contest at our local uh... "gentleman's club" when and as the owner of the place helped her up onto the stage as they were judging everyone's costumes he quietly said "Hi! Uh, say, if you're ever looking for a job...???"

But anyway... Mine is a solid 8 or 9. When we met over 34 years ago, I explained that I really didn't like drinking, didn't smoke or do drugs, didn't gamble or anything like that, but I LOVED "cars", and said that "if you can put up with cars, you've got it made!" We've been married for 29 years and she jokes that she wishes that she had a nickel for every car that she's helped me push into or out of the garage... She used to photograph the old cars in my little country junkyard near Richmond VA as I pulled parts... She helps me line stuff up on the trailer when we're moving non-op cars and trucks around... And when we go to visit her parents in Daytona at Thanksgiving, she'll wink at me as she tells her mom & dad "Well JOHN wants to go to the Turkey Run car show on Friday, and we'll TRY to be home for dinner....".

Check for one of my other posts about "yard art" and the 55 Pontiac quarter panel that's sitting in her flower bed...

I also get a kick out of a few of my newer friends or acquaintances who'll ask "What does your WIFE think about all of the pin-up stuff and nudie stuff that you have hanging around your garage?" (As if she's never out there!?!?) I reply "I dunno... You'll have to ask HER! SHE bought me that, that, that, and she found me that..." :)

Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  4. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

I've got to sell something now to prove that I can part with junk. At this point in time, even I agree that we are overstocked, so if I move some junk now, I'm counting on trust later when a gotta have it deal comes along.

Help me out and check out my ad.

5. swsimon

swsimon

As far as support for cars and motorcycles she is in the negative column. Everything else she is a 10+. Scott

6. stev8

stev8

My girlfriend, ( who isnt a car person), recently informed me that I have an expensive hobby, and I cannot afford to build the cars I build, (even though I still manage to do so, by doing without and doing everything myself!).
    So she said that if we are to marry then I have to sell my cars, (even my steel 32 5 window!), and buy an investment property, and not build any more projects!

I can not imagine life with out building at least something and I really really want to finish my 32, so what is a bloke to do........

If we were to marry, I would place her in the minus catagory!!!

7. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Blessed with a 10 here. More if available.
    "Honey, come and look at this. I want to get it".
    OT Bugatti kit car, at an estate sale, but its bitchen.and a hoot.
    1961 Alumalight trailer for the 57 country Sedan, we werent even home yet and she knew what she was gonna do with it. Colors and interior.
    She was a real trooper at Viva this year and cant wait to go back next year.

8. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Stev8,,,,,,run, fast and hard and long!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

You gotta drop her fast. No good woman would ever make you choose between her and the things you love.

10. Rattle Trap

Rattle Trap

Stev8 I have an EX-wife that was like that. I dropped her like a rock off a tall dam.

11. Swifster

Swifster

So me and the girlfriend were discussing marriage. And then she says, "You realize if we get married, that you have to get rid of the car". Every so often I miss her...

12. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

:d:d

13. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

need some advice maybe from the ladies. My avatar shows the pinup on my decklid. Pam Anderson basically topless in a witch outfit. I want to hire a model to recreate it in some photos and some bikini shots. One of the local strippers is willing but my wife is freaking out over it. I even invited the wife to go along so she knows there's no funny business. IDEAS????

14. I ain't a lady, but if your wife is worth keeping, forget about the stripper! Think about it, what woman wants to hear that you chose a stripper over her.
    What would be wrong with some pictures of your wife with your car? She doesn't look like Pamela Anderson? Maybe you need to change your pinup a bit!

15. and wonder at what they are thinking at when they are saying that ....

its like me telling them that, " you realize if we get married, that you have to stop the PMS ing, groaning, shoppin, etc .... ". i sure think back sometimes to the ones that said that but not in that other ....

16. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

I'm not choosing the stripper (Candy, which I'm sure is her real name) over her, just recreating the pinup. I have too much time & money invested to choose a Candy over her. Even though the stripper really seemed into me (at least until the billfold was empty). No actually I met Candy at a fund raising car wash.

17. pila38

pila38

Agreed, get the hell out of there!

18. herbet99

herbet99
    from Central NJ

Steering this thread back to the op's topic... My wife of 29 years is about a 4. Doesn't really get it but is tolerant.

I wish she was a 10.. but I don't have much else to complain about.

19. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

I thought my GF was a 10 until I drug home project #19 last Dec, then she said, think you should finish one before you buy another?
    I now classify her as a 9
    I'll still keep her and see if I can boost her back to a 10!

20. wex65

wex65
    from WV

I started a business 6 years back and sold my '29 Model A to pay the bills etc. It was instilled into me as a kid that responsibilities come first. I knew things would get better and we would get toys once we were able to but I also knew the wife wouldn't want me to sell the A so I didnt tell her. Well, she was super pissed. Told me in no uncertain terms I should have kept it as it was special.

Roll forward 6 years, we have 4 of them now and she encourages me each week to spend time in the workshop as she knows it helps me relax as I work long days from 5AM etc. She even has one herself, a '59 MGA which she loves.

Any time I am doing something that requires 3-4 hands she is straight out to the workshop to help out. I am lucky and I know it...

21. My wife is an easy 10 when it comes to her support of me and our cars. She has cleaned hubcaps and pistons and has totally gone along with whatever I do when it comes to the cars. I am a VERY lucky man!!

22. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

My wife has been tolerant of the cars or projects ive done to this point. Maybe a 5. My dad passed in Nov. Its time to bring his 48 bus coupe to our place to finish and she is like we dont need any junk cars. Went from a 5 to a minus 10. WTH. She is pushing it to the point that I may have to choose:-( that car was one of the first cars i drove etc. Dont know what Ill end up doing.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

23. #7 wife of 42 years sais that she is not jealous of other women
    she does not do the shop thing but likes to know what I am building
    she will bring me out lunch
    she will go to any place that old cars are at with out A/C
    the TT Ford she always tell some one that sais they want it come over when I am gone & she will give it to them (just a joke)
    she lets me spend what ever I want on projects and knows I will only spend what is extra
    she likes the 37 Plymouth and drives it
    I am looking at a 20+year sitting 38 Chevy coupe that I was told about 2 days ago
    its apart Hot Rod ? Restoring do not know the reason its apart
    he will be back home some time next week
    she is a little on edge on this one. 6/15/13 I just got out of the hospital had a hart attack. not a plumbing problem it was electrical . got a pace maker
    been out of work 6 weeks been in the shop every day putzing around
    I am only aloud 3# on left side to pick up

24. Firefly

Firefly

Be afraid, be VERY afraid.

If she is dictating to you now... it will only get worse if you get married :eek:

25. IRMB

IRMB
    from SF Bay

7-8. She thinks it's a good hobby - but she doesn't really care about cars.

She approved the budget needed to buy the car - and approved a budget needed to fix it up. That's pretty good, I guess.

26. flat-v8

flat-v8

Mine's a solid 0 ZERO! She needs to go but won't! I can't go anywhere, too much stuff to drag with me and too old to start over. I just pretend I have hearing loss when she starts bitchin!

27. Nailhead Brooklyn

Nailhead Brooklyn

I guess it's a lot easier to find a boyfriend who's into cars then a girlfriend or wife, my honey is horribly supportive, we both love cars and some of our favorite time together is just piddlin' at the shop...it's a lifestyle and I think if you're into it, you have to find someone who has the same passion or who at least is supportive of it...once my truck gets rolled in, I know he will be the one who will help me complete it...he knows having something to tool around in has been something I've wanted for a very long time...I couldn't ask for a better guy and I always look forward to our shop days... <3

28. Tim decided to tie the knot with his long time girlfriend.

One evening, after the honeymoon, he was polishing his street rod. His wife was standing nearby watching him.

After a long period of silence she finally speaks. "Honey, I've been thinking, now that we're married maybe it's time you quit hot rodding. You spend so much time on it. You could probably get a good price for your hot rod."

Tim gets this horrified look on his face.

She says, "Darling, what's wrong?"

"For a minute there you were sounding like my ex-wife."

"Ex wife!" she screams, "I didn't know you were married before!"

"I wasn't," he replied

29. thebrisbanebennetts

thebrisbanebennetts
    from Australia

Mine is a 10 for sure. There has never been any issue with anything I have done when its rod related and she always is ready and willing when push, lift, shove or a opinion is needed. Got to tell ya though, this thread really opened up the lines of communication at home and really drew in my wife’s attention to this discussion and the site. Hell it was even bought up over a bbq at our friend place just the other day. Is anybody else having a similar reaction?

30. I stated way back mine was a 10. The other night I meet her at the garage door on her way home from work. 95 degree day and she can't wait to get in the pool. I told her I had found a divco. She changed her cloths got in the truck and we left. Drove an hour ole thing needs TLC. Only thing she is says is the coupe gets done before any parts or work gets done to the Divco. On the way back mentions that it would make a nice tow vehicle.