Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help me find this fitting!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1959apache, Jul 18, 2013.

1. 1959apache

1959apache

I need to find a 90 degree elbow (normally called a street elbow) with one male end and one female end (inverted flare) with both ends for 5/16 for brake line.

They look like this:

[​IMG]

The only ones I can find have a 1/4" NPT male end which I need to be 5/16 brake line fitting. The female ends around here are 5/16 inverted flare that I need.

Thanks!!

2. i've been looking for one 3/8 for a long time and have never found one.

3. 1959apache

1959apache

Someone has to make them right? They can't all be NPT???

4. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

I think I thought I needed the same thing to at one point. but the male part can't be inverted flair, because when it bottoms out, it may, or may not be in the right spot for your other line to tie in. it might not be "clocked"right if you get what i'm saying. the male part need to spin free. I ended up buying some brake line pliers that you could bend the line after you flaired the end right up close to the nut. hope this helps.

5. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

If they both were straight threads you would be unable to time the direction of the opening for the brake line fitting

6. chopo

chopo

7. There's more than one way to skin a cat, but its not going to be with a fitting like you are looking for. They aren't out there. You migh be able to find another way, some trick bends ( three lefts make a right) , a double female elbow.

8. Barsteel

Barsteel
    from Monroe, CT

9. badshifter

badshifter

Edelman makes them, the male end looks like this.
    The other end is 5/16 female.
    My Edelman catalogue is at work, but google Edelman and search. You can put in desired ends and orientation.

Attached Files:

10. 24riverview

24riverview

Get one of these, cut off tube, drill and tap for 1/8 pipe, screw in 1/8 pipe to 5/16 female inverted adapter.

Attached Files:

11. Make friends with a NAPA counterman,,there fitting catalog has literately thousands of fittings. HRP

12. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

They do make that fitting, parker has them. But they are not rated for brakes. At all,due to the nut being on thin wall brass they can get the pressure rating needed for brake use. You can however use them for fuel.I got that info from a parker company awhile back while looking for the same thing.

13. 1959apache

1959apache

Napa was useless, I asked them for me to look in the manual... they didn't have it. I kind of forced them to put one on order. They did. I will try once more when that manual gets here if I don't find them. I am trying to find them for my tranny cooler lines out of the radiator due to this thread:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=817713

As you can see I don't have much clearance. Where can I find a brake plier that is worth a damn? That sounds like what I need to get the close bend I need. I will check out the other stuff you posted. Thanks guys!!

14. Buy Dorman - Autograde Inverted Flare Fittings 90 Degree Male . Part No. 490-273, advanced auto parts.......maybe this will help

15. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

16. hot rust

hot rust

might try godman high performance in memphis tenn. i purchase all my hard to find items from them.dont have the # but you should be able to google it. there on elmore road.

17. Wildbill29tudor

Wildbill29tudor

Go to the junkyard and look on old cars and trucks, brass fittings dont really go bad unless they are stripped

18. Drive Em

Drive Em

The fitting pictured is 1/8" NPT.

19. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

That one is 1/8 male pipe. 5/16 brake line nuts are 1/2"-20 threads per inch. I don't think anybody makes that fitting. About as close as you can come is a T for trailer brakes but they go in the master cylinder and don't go up to 5/16 line size.

Seems that these fittings, in various sizes, come up often on this site.

20. 1959apache

1959apache

Dude you are a dumbass, just quit posting on my stuff and harassing me. that LMC link you have posted has 1/4 NPT male end, does not go into my radiator and is not what I am looking for, I already called them and their fitting is overpriced by 2 bucks plus shipping from what I can get down the street. I already did my homework on this stuff that is why I am asking for what I am on this post.

Thanks to everyone else that has helped so far

21. 1959apache

1959apache

I know, it was just a picture to let people know what the part is that I am looking for (something with a low profile)

22. Andy

Andy

How about two fittings. Put a straight inverted flare X pipe in the hole and screw a 90* pipe to female inverted flare to it?

23. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Sent you a p.m. Tom.

24. 1959apache

1959apache

My thoughts as well. I may try to find another place where I can rummage through the bins, as I was unable to find what I was looking for at NAPA, initially, but was able to find the NPT and inverted flare elbow there. They said that the piece I needed wouldn't be in until next Tuesday.... I tried Advance and Autozone, as well as Oreilly's today with no luck in either fitting. I will try carquest way down the road in hopes they have what I need, they have a hard time doing this stuff over the phone around here. Thanks Andy

25. 1959apache

1959apache

right on Tom, thanks!

26. You could also take the 5/16 tube x 1/4 npt 90 degree fitting and drill out the npt end to fit the 5/16 tube and silver solder a short length of tube with a swivel nut into it.

We used to silver solder a lot of hydraulic fittings and they worked with no problem at a lot higher pressure than your trans cooler.

27. mullskull

mullskull

28. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe