Register now to get rid of these ads!

New C4 transmission feels slower?!?!?!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Julio, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Julio

Julio
    from san diego

Hey guys, So the story goes I drove up to Santa Maria from San Diego, my car, 63 comet-200 I6 250 head, alot of upgraded crap and a c4 trans, well she drove up fine the whole way, cruising about 75-80, really nice drive, on my way back down I lost any sort of shifting, it stayed in first gear until i put it in low 2nd, well by the time i got home the transmission was blown (after a 6+hr drive down the coast)no drive, reverse or anything. so I found and bought a rebuilt c4, bolted it right up got a new torque converter, same one as my last and now i feel as though my car doesnt accelerate or even go as fast as my last trans?!?!? I would cruise at 75 all day now im lucky at 65. can anything explain this??
    thanks for any help or insight!
    -JULIO

2. txturbo

txturbo

Could be slipping....especially if you didn't flush out the Trans cooler before installing the other transmission.

3. Julio

Julio
    from san diego

I flushed everything 3 times before installing and it shifts fine, just doesnt have the same "umph" as the last

4. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

So many things it could be....WHat he ( Txturbo) said ^ .Does it have a band adjustment?

Is the vacuum line plugged? does it have ample fluid cooling?

Was the assembly right? clutches slipped and the only way to tell that is look for discoloring on the clutches themselves??? Is the fluid burned?

Did the installer properly install the converter? 2 clicks in or did it only click once and take out the front pump?

Me,,, I wouldn't have drivin it 80 mph. That didn't cause it, but boy that little engine was workin...

5. Julio

Julio
    from san diego

I replaced the vacuum line to the modulator and yes it cools through my aluminum radiator, fluid smells fine. I will check for a band adjustment, everything was installed properly, is there anyway the planetaries could be different or the trans could be out of a v8 not an i6? would that make a difference? sorry newbie to transmissions (and lets be real not the best mechanic) but I'm trying!
    Thanks so far guys!

6. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

1965 to 1980 the forward plant gear and hub ect where the same. Was this tranny rebuilt?

I have seen, mostly on GM metric trannys where an old tranny, when new fluid got introduced, the High detergent wiped it out. The old fluids high friction content was the only reason they ran..... I don't know what year your tranny is, but may be its just tired?

Pull a tranny line off the radiator, start the engine, see if she is pumpin..... Otherwise you gonna have to take it in or read up and do your first rebuild....

It could be a lock up converter not locking up in the wrong application as well

7. Julio

Julio
    from san diego

yes it is rebuilt with a 2 yr warranty also, I'll pull the line and go from there, thanks guys!

8. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

9. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Did you fill it with Type F or Mercon?