Register now to get rid of these ads!

1950 Buick Battery Cables

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GreaserJosh13, Jul 18, 2013.

1. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

OK guys. Here's my next question. I just put a brand new 6 volt battery in my 1950 Buick & Im trying to get it started. The gas pedal start has been bypassed & there's a button under the dash to start the car (car was Luke this when I bought it). When I push the ignition switch it slowly cranks, but seems like its under a very load & won't turn over & start. From some of my research I'm thinking that I might need heavier battery cables. What gauge should I get? Are 2 gauge enough? If not what gauge? Where can I find heavy gauge cables. None of the stores I've looked at has them. Maybe a Internet sight? Some if my research says 0 gauge.
    Thanks for your help,
    Josh.

2. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Go to a welding supply you can buy the cable by the foot and have the ends soldered and crimped.

3. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

O gauge sounds right. The cables should be as big as your thumb. Twice as big as the typical 12V maybe 3 or 4 times as big as today's cars. If you have some spare 12V cables you could try using 2 of them or just get bigger cables. This is a typical fault on 6v cars that have been repaired with the wrong (too small) cables.

4. jw johnston

jw johnston

How's the ground? I like to use those big heavy braided ground straps on 6v cars.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. refried confusion

refried confusion

Have you looked at the starter brushes yet? 2 of the 4 could be bad and will cause a slow crank problem

6. oldolds

oldolds

Truck parts house or tractor parts place to get cables for 6 volt. Welding supply good as well. As stated above. Have your starter brushes and bushings checked. Buick straight 8 is usually an easy starting engine.

7. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I was able to get 0 gauge for my '47 Ford at Bumper to Bumper. It makes a BIG difference.

8. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

Thanks for all the help guys. I found a welding supply place near by that has 0 gauge. Now I just gotta find time to go get it. Ha ha. As for the brushes on the cranking motor no I haven't looked at those yet. That's going to be the next thing I do. So hopefully with those two thing corrected I'll be sitting pretty. Hopefully. Ill let everyone know how it goes. Thanks again for all of your help.

9. creepjohnny

creepjohnny

I ran 4ga on my buick and had no problems. But I had switched over to 12v. Which made that old starter really spin quick and start the motor much faster than the 6v.
    Good idea on bypassing the pedal switch. I did the same.

10. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

Thanks again for all the help guys. I built my own 0 gauge or 1/0 cables like you guys suggested. I bought the cable from a welding supply store (Air Gas West) & was able to get the the other components & solder pellets at (Napa Auto Parts). Probably spent close to $50.00 on these things, but there beasts. Changed the oil (which looked like mud) & disconnected the gas line & connected a tube to it & placed it in a can of fresh new fuel. Had my Old man come over & spray some carb cleaner in the carburetor as I cranked the ignition & "boom goes the dynamite". The old girl fired up ran for the first time in 30+ years. Was really rough & won't stay running (definitely needs a tune up) but I'm on my way & at least I know she runs. I took a video of her first start up & I'll try to oust it to another thread. Just wanted to say thanks to everyone again. Ill keep you updated on my progress. Thanks again fellas.