Register now to get rid of these ads!

Aussie or Kiwi Hambers-cycle fenders help ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blue One, Jul 17, 2013.

1. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Looking for any info on cycle fender manufactures down your way that can help me out with some decent cycle fenders for my 26 RPU.

I ask because I know you guys need them there and I think there are some manufacturers in your part of the world, I just have not found them.

I'd also be interested in seeing pictures of your cycle fenders and how they are mounted as well.

I need them for registration, I'm considering having them removable to run without as we can do over here although if they look good I may even consider running them.

2. Weasel

Weasel

Find some spare tire covers from a 1930s Ford at a swap meet and make your own as many have done....

3. look on line at PG cycle or go visit your local bike builder's shop

4. had a talk with this fella outta Texas at a local show last year. Built his car in the sixties with his dad, said he used trailer fenders I believe, bent flat-bar connected to the spindle and the drum backing plate. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1374087852.509514.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

5. flatoz

flatoz

36 ford spare tyre cover was the common one back in the 60's. Here there getting harder to find. That of course means people make repo ones. We can get them in fibreglass and steel. I would suggest alloy for the weight. Due to the 'bounce' factor the brackets need to be made out of decent thickness strap steel.

I don't like them, but I put them on my car as yes we need them and I had run the gauntlet for years with no issues, but word was, they were cracking down.

Another option here is a guy who makes motorcycle guards from the 30's he has a heap of templates and you chose what style you want.

check where you are, as here the state law is from 12 o'clock the guard must go 30 degrees forward and then 50 degree's back, that will help you decide on length you need.

The hardest thing is getting them to hug the tyre, which helps the look, but then the bounce comes into it.

6. I have heard of cycle guards being mounted with Sikaflex or similar resilient type goo. This stopped the cracking of a solid mount, and if the stuff as applied correctly, won't let go .

7. Avgas

Avgas

Probably not worth asking the Kiwi's about there fenders cause as Lifestylz has already mentioned they dont need them to be 100 percent legal, its only the short sighted bureaucracy in Australia, ably supported by the Johnny come lately ASRF cohorts that dont consider it a neccesity for a Hot Rod not to have fenders! Was that any help?

8. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Attached Files:

9. krazee

krazee

As above koopdeglass in New Zealand. Check out his website.
    I have a pair of his '36 spare wheel style fenders in fiberglass,
    they are light and well made. They are very reliable and trustworthy.
    Email them from his website - Robin & Linda Barnes
    Some of us who drive our cars in NZ don't like that "cow stuff" that's on country roads in out teeth. The fenders come off on motorways and in towns.

10. Rok 51

Rok 51

As flatoz has said here in Aust.
    I have Chrysler spare wheel cover on the front and fibreglass on the rear.
    The fronts and the other set I have hanging in the shed (Ford spare wheel covers), I got from a swapmeet off a guy that took them off a T-Bucket he had in the 60's and he had them in his shed all these years. When I asked him the price and he said $2 ea. I couldn't get the money out of my pocket quick enough.
    [​IMG]

11. deuce1932

deuce1932
    from Australia

x2.. well said Avgas...

mandated by the near sighted dimwits who ignore the facts on safety.

cycle guards are fucking dangerous..I've seen more than enough fall off & cause more damage than they're supposed to prevent...

lets forget for a moment they make the car look like shit.

12. Look like shit? Well you're entitled to your opinion, and I'm entitled to mine. I dig 'em, probably because in the late 50s and early 60s when I was young, most all hotrods in NZ had them. My hotrod has them, and I can run fenderless if I choose to. I choose not to.
    BTW: I have koopdeglass fenders, they're pretty good quality.

13. IanS

IanS

Hi, I recently had Shane Dale in South Australia do some guards for me, English wheel any width and length you require and very reasonable cost. Arrived exactly as I had asked and when he said they would and there not heavy either! email him, [email protected]
    ( I don't recommend often)

Cheers Ian

Attached Files:

14. wanabe28

wanabe28

Other option is to cut 44 gallon drums up and use the raised ribs on the drum as strengthening, sorry but I don't have any pics, but if you do a search i'm sure you'll find some. The ones I have seen have been really well executed.

15. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

You can get custom trailer fenders rolled to your width etc.

This outfit in NZ is one of the best [and good value]
    I've seen their products used on a few Harleys

http://www.mudguards.co.nz/

16. Avgas you are spot on, all the Johnny come lately ASRF cohorts who call themselves hot rodders need to have a good hard look at themselves, and start looking at what real hot rodder's want.

17. Muzz

Muzz
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Blue One, I have seen repro steel 36 ford ones made in the states. Cannot remember who but saw it in DICE magazine particulary catering for the bobber/chopper crowd.

Cheers

Muzz

18. No offense intended but I prefer the less is more when it comes to fenders.

Being in the states most of us have the option of discarding the fenders on hot rods,,

I find the cycle fenders distracting and personally if fenders were mandatory I would use what Henry had on the car when it left the factor.
    HRP

19. Here you go.....original 36 Ford spare wheel cover on the front & bobbed 32 fenders on the rear.

Removable in a few mins.

Done.

To keep the fuzz at bay, I keep em on this car but they "fall off" from time to time. This is the land down under, when we have more bullshit "laws" than we have people (sheeple)

Rat

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
    A Boner likes this.
  20. best set up you can hope for (I like the look) 44 gal drums please no, have seen some on a "bobber" it did suit that look but an early roadster nup.

21. sorry forgot the pic -

Attached Files:

22. 44 gallon drum guards are "rego guards" only. They seem to fall off soon after rego.

23. 63dan63

63dan63

mine came straight from China thru our friend Jesse James ...

Attached Files:

24. ^
    I
    the way to go for sure, the ones that somehow fall off reflect badly on all of us, we are all ready the most scrutinized car people on the road and don't need any more rules "to save us from our self".

25. Guys have a good alternative to running obvious cycle guards..

One of my good mates, Dick Thornton (Some of you may of heard of him, hes a local southside Brisbane guy), had the bright idea of using fibreglass from memory and patching it over the tire he has on his Roadster, and then glassed it into some flat bar strap mounts and painted it all black.

He now has cycle guards with the shape of his tire molded into the cycle guard and has them very tightly mounted so it almost looks like he has none on at all.

I will try and find a photo of them..

26. Heres a photo from about 4 or 5 years ago.. the car is now black so some of you would've seen it from Wintersun / Cooly Rocks On and other local shows.. but it shows the cycle guards pretty well.

Attached Files:

27. tmf

tmf

Mine has 36 spare wheel cover on the front and fibreglass wider 36 copies on the rear. The rear are held on with sikaflex so no bolts through the guard. Front are welded to the bracket. Painted them flat black i hardly notice them on there.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Nice. But I've never, ever seen 36 Ford (or similar) spare tire covers for sale, new or used. Gary

29. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Wonderful looking!!! Are they a bike or car part? Link? Gary