Register now to get rid of these ads!

Travelling the West Coast

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dropouts, Jul 14, 2013.

1. Dropouts

Dropouts

I just read through this tread

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=393936

and was wondering if anyone had some further advice for me in regards to purchasing a vehicle or things to do. My girlfriend and I will be travelling the West coast from L.A up to San Fran. using the 101 then on to Salt Lake city to the Salt Flats then who knows. We will be spending around 5weeks travelling with no real plans just cruising around. Ideally I would like to purchase a car with the intention of bringing it back to Australia. Any advice would be more than appreciated

cheers

2. Dropouts

Dropouts

Seriously if anyone has some suggestions on things to do, like shows or routes to take please hit me with your ideas. We will be there from August 25th (arrive in L.A) till September 29th

cheers

3. roughneck424

roughneck424

4. slosteve

slosteve

First thing that comes to mind is the 'Twighlight Cruise' at the L.A. County fairgrounds in Pomona, CA the first Weds. of the month. It's at the NHRA Museum parking lot and it's free for spectators & participants alike. Get there by 2:00P to get a parking space although it's supposed to start at 4:00. Entrance to the museum is also free during the 'cruz'.
    It might be in August that they have a second cruz at the end of the month due to the start of the L.A. County fair.
    Have a nice trip.
    Steve

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013

5. toml24

toml24

Visit the Donut Derelicts car show in Huntington Beach, Ca., every Saturday morning from 5:30am to 8:30am. 250 cars and trucks. Best FREE car show on the West coast. Folks from Aust. and NZ come over in groups and they have a good time.

6. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

When are you going to be doing this trip?

I'd look for a car here in the hamb classifieds, on the LA Craigslist and ebay and just try to buy something that seems like it is what you want and is in good enough shape to make the trip obviously. Or something you can send to a local LA shop and have it checked out and fixed and maybe hold it for you until you can get there to pick it up and take it on the trip.

FYI, Hwy. 1 is the road you will want to take if you want to see the more beautiful scenery. That is the Pacific Coast Highway and is the one that follows the coast. It will take forever from LA to SF, but that is the sight seeing road you will want and no sense in rushing yourself anyway on 101 or 5 and just getting there fast.

7. Sounds like you will get here too late for Speedweek (Aug 10 - 16) at Bonneville but you could make the USFRA World of Speed meet there (Sept 7 - 10)

Mick

8. Dropouts

Dropouts

Cheers for the response guys this will surly be a great holiday something we have both been looking forward to for quite some time.

roughneck424 Thanks for the links I will be sure to give them look. I have been all over craigslist for the last couple of weeks checking daily.

slosteve I will be heading out to see the NHRA museum for sure but unfortunately we arrive the day after the cruise

toml24 The Donut Derelicts show looks cool mate thanks for the heads up on that one

stude trucks we arrive on the 22nd of Aug. and we are there till 2nd of Oct. plenty of time to get around. Sweet Hwy 1 is what I want to do, we plan on taking a couple of days to do this drive then hang out in SF for a day or two then head on.

lurker mick yeah unfortunatly we will miss Speed Week but I think USFRA should be worth a look.

cheers guys

9. Don't call it San Fran...Its The City ;o)

Lots to see & do up here in the Bay Area...Brizio's is next to San Francisco airport, The Blackhawk Museum in Danville is very cool, there may be a Goodguys event at Pleasanton too.

10. 37 caddy

37 caddy
    from PEI Canada

Another thing to see,its not car related but is awesome none the less.Go to see San Simeon,it is the Hearst estate,about halfway between LA and San Fran.Definetly well worth a visit,was there a couple of years ago,enjoyed it a lot.

11. Sean

Sean

12. Sean

Sean

13. Dropouts

Dropouts

Haha apologies all and thanks for the heads up "SF" or the "City" it is. I guess you guys have already helped by making me look less like a foolish tourist walking around cheers.

37caddy mate San Simeon looks beautiful and that Hearst estate looks quite impressive will check it out for sure.

Sean thanks for the link and also setting me straight. Last thing I want to do is sound like another stupid tourist haha.

A32Flathead thanks for the suggestion the Blackhawk meuseum sounds like its worth a visit definitely same as Brizio's, unfortunately I think we will miss the Goodguys show as we will not have a lot of time to get up there as I plan to take my time driving up to "the City"

Guys thanks heaps for all the advice Im getting very excited about this trip.

cheers

14. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Call John or Nigel at EDI customs in Brisbane and have a proper chat about what you need to do to bring a car back. Its not hard but there is a process that MUST be followed. I use these guys exclusively to bring in my bikes and cars. Get educated FIRST, before going over.

Once you are there you need to sort out insurance for the car which isnt always easy as a non resident but certainly possible. Hopefully someone will chime in re that. Make sure you have your international drivers licence in hand before you go, just slip down to RACQ and get one. You may need to take a passport pic or two.

Have a great trip, always loved touring in the US.

15. Dropouts

Dropouts

cheers panhead_pete good advice mate you still living in Brisbane ? Sorting out the international drivers licence next week and it looks like we will have the address of a friend that lives in L.A for the insurance and any other paper work that requires one

16. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

Early Ford Store in San Dimas(near Pomona) worth a visit if you are into Early Ford's. Walden's Speed in Pomona also.Hollywood Hot Rods (Burbank) + there is a good cruise nite there at Bob's Big Boy.

17. TomP64

TomP64
    from Vancouver

Guess we aren't supposed to call it "Frisco" either then?

Definately take #1. The 101 is like a freeway and inland after Santa Barbara... or Barbie, or Barb or whatever. From LA to San Fran..... cisco is hardly a two day drive. Once you are north of Santa Barb there aren't many places to stay until you get within an hour of SF. Not a lot of gas stations either so get gas in SB or San Luis Obispo.

18. Sean

Sean

Call it "Frisco" and the locals will say tourist... unless you add chopper :) Just trying to help a brother out.

Personally, for your trip north, once out of LA I would suggest taking the 5 to Bakersfield. Home of Buck Owens, FOMOSO, and tons of Hot Rodders. Then hang a left to Ventura and start the 101 North for a bit. Points of interest along the way.
    • Pismo Beach - huge sand dunes, lots of dune buggies and sand rails
    • Santa Maria - current home of the West Coast Nationals
    • San Louis Obispo - The Madonna Inn. You just have to see it to believe it
    • Paso Robles, past home of the grand daddy of custom shows on the west coast.

Once you hit Paso head west into Morro Bay to pick up HWY 1. Take HWY1 north. Some points of interest along this route -
    • Carmel - Bixby Bridge / 17 Mile Drive
    • Pebble Beach - Home of the Concours d'Elegance
    • Monterey Bay
    At this point if you head east you will hit Salinas, home of Cole Foster and Deadend Magazine. Take 101 north for a bit and you can easily side track into Hollister, home of the original motorcycle rally, the Wild One's film was based on this event. If you have chosen this path, continue up the 101 into San Jose. You are now in Silicon Valley, home of Apple, Google, Facebook, etc. If you are a tech geek, lots of photo opportunities. At this point you are about 45 miles south of San Francisco.

If you get to San Jose, hit me up. The bar will be open for a cocktail or two. Safe travels.

19. 1959apache

1959apache

make sure to eat at In N Out Burger, order a Double Double, animal style or 4X4 (four by four) if you are really hungry.

20. I'm near San Jose.....can I hit you up for a cocktail or two?

:D

21. lc1963

lc1963
    from iowa

Just finished a western trip a week and a half ago.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=808143&highlight=roadtrip

Spent 3 1/2 weeks
    I was a bit overzealous on mileage on route 66
    I would do about 200 miles a day next time

Took over 8,000 pictures
    If you take lots of pictures and videos - portable hard drive is way to go
    I had a gopro, Nikon SLR and video camera

If you want to stay somewhere special get reservations early
    For Yellowstone I had to get them a year in advance

Highlights were too numerous to list but here is a small list
    Black hills and mt rushmore
    devils tower
    Yellowstone
    grand tetons and Jackson
    salt flats
    watching base jumpers at twin falls
    Columbia river gorge
    cannon beach
    redwood forest
    highway 1
    napa valley
    san Francisco
    nhra museum
    Peterson museum (vault tour also)
    moon and socal speed shop
    sacramento vintage ford
    hearst castle
    grand canyon
    vegas
    route 66 - Americana overload

I planned for a year ahead
    Just my 2 cents

good luck on your trip
    If your in southeast - let me know
    get a tenderloin in the midwest

22. WillyNilly

WillyNilly
    from NorCal

Nobody mentioned Solvang? They have a nice little motorcycle museum there, but has quirky hours.

23. If you call ahead of the visit and mention that you are travelling a great distance, they will make arrangements to leave the key in the office upstairs and just let you visit anyway.

24. Chuck R

Chuck R

Here are some ideas, have a fun trip

The Peterson Museum
    http://www.petersen.org/

The NHRA Museum
    http://www.museum.nhra.com/

Non Car related:

Yosemite Park
    http://www.yosemitepark.com/default...mite&match=e&gclid=CL6B8JbSu7gCFa9cQgodBjoAuA

Treebones
    A Cool Place to Stay Near Hearst Castle
    http://www.treebonesresort.com/

Pismo Beach Has some cool restaurants
    The Cracked Crab- Great dinner spot
    http://www.crackedcrab.com/

Splash Cafe-More of a quick meal great beach cafe food
    http://www.splashcafe.com/

25. Ventura Nationals

Ventura Nationals
    from Ventura

We would love to have you at the show Labor Day weekend.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1374276184.700389.jpg

26. Dropouts

Dropouts

Guys thanks for all the great tips.
    Sean We would love to stop in and have a drink with you I will message you for directions

1959apache I know all about In Out Burger and look forward to trying them. Mates of mine that have tried there burgers rate them highly I haver been told to try a place called Sals Sandwiches & Beers which just happen to be two of my favourite things.

lc1963 My girlfriend is an avid photographer so we are fairly well prepared for tons of photos. I will be sure to check out Yellow Stone national park and thanks for the awesome highlights list. your trip must of been great.

WillyNilly thanks mate will hopefully have some time to check it out

chuck R thanks for the links I reckon the Cracked Crab could be worth a look

VenturaNationals I will be there mate

Guys thanks so much for taking the time to give me these tips and advice. We are both really looking forward to travelling. Just got to find the right car now...

cheers

27. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You might want to mention what model of car you are thinking about as one of the folks who is an active Hamber might have a car that is what you are looking that is up to a serious road trip and can pass muster when you take it home. Your fellow countrymen will tell you what needs to be right on a vehicle that you take back so that it doesn't get rejected. Here it's buying a nifty car that is up to a road trip and not one that helps you meet a series of Hambers because you broke down and need rescue after rescue.

28. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

You can check out some doable routes and stops on my Motorcycle and California Classic Car Tours and Rentals website http://ridefree.com/classic_car_tours_rentals
    Happy to sell you a car also. But we only do classic car rentals with a tour.

Too many people want to rent them to "go up the coast", then end up taking a little side trip in August to Vegas via Death Valley when it is 128 degrees F.

Just too many problems to just rent a classic for long range use.
    But we can sell you one and buy it back after your trip, or you can join a tour up the California Coast in a Classic Car in the summer, and out Route 66 from LA in late fall, winter, and early spring.

Just an option, have a great trip whatever you do!

29. Dropouts

Dropouts

MrV8chev thats one of the issues that seems to be more complicated than it should be as there is two people involved in the decision making process. Me I had this idea of doing it in something 20's-30's roadster, coupe or pick up,. BUT the girlfriend likes 60's-early70's like a Nova actually make that only a Nova, my fault shouldn't of taken her to that car show eight years ago. Not such a bad thing as I am quite fond of the little Nova as well. Basically we have been trolling car adverts for what seems like an eternity trying to find something that not only, do we both like but also fits the budget. Please by all means if you have a car that you think can handle a road trip, has a clear title and is tagged send me a PM. you never know you may just have the right car. probably looking at spending around $us10K

30. Blake84

Blake84

MUST DO THE FOLLOWING

donut delerics sat Huntington beach

Check out Peterson auto museum

Ventura nationals aug 31

Cruise through cayucos and get cookies from brown butter cookie company. It's a great old beach town.

Swing by Hearst castle it will blow your mind

On your way up take pch and stop at Julia pfieffer burns state park and see the waterfall that dumps on the beach it's unbelievable. Google Mcway falls big sur.

Cruise through Carmel and enter pebble beach and do the 17 mile drive.

I promise you will enjoy those stops

Have a great time