Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Gene (Moonlighter) Cromer's A/G Willys Resurrection

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Quain Stott, Aug 31, 2012.

1. I got my t-shirt, and it is not blank......It is cool!

2. Frank Taylor

Frank Taylor
    from Iva, SC

I got my CD and it worked. Gene, I appreciate the kind words.
    The CD has a collection of pictures of the Moonlighter and beautiful thank you card from Gene. That's something I will always treasure. Thank you Gene for allowing us to be a part of the resurrection of THE MOONLIGHTER!

3. Gene personally delivered me my 3rd CD today at my wife's shop,,it works!,so third times the charm,,thanks Gene! :) Danny

4. OldColt

OldColt

Artsy.JPG Well, here I go wondering and asking questions again. Been doing that since I was a little kid lol. :D Bear with me please. :eek:

The Moonlighter ran Nitro during match races at times ( late 60's - early 70's I'm assuming).

There were possibly some other '41 Willys Gassers that did this, but I don't ever recall seeing, or reading about any. Blown AA/GS ones yes, but not Nitro injected ones.

I'm hoping some of the drag racing historians here on the HAMB can answer that question.

I've heard injected stroker nitro cammers in the early funny cars, and how they sounded. :)

To hear an old Willy coupe sound like that would be truely unique. Darn, I wish I could have heard it. :mad:

Old Willys didn't have those stretched out front ends like the funny cars had. Bet the dry hops and leaps off the line were just beastly. :eek:

--- Steve ---

5. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

BEST thread on the HAMB.

6. Although a blown car, I'm pretty sure the "Fantasia Willys" ran some percentages back when. FANTASIA.jpg

7. Gene Cromer

Gene Cromer
    Member Emeritus

I ran nitro with the run whacha brung cars in the 60's also with the funny cars and qualified 8th out of 20 funny cars at the 1967 Atlanta 10,000 meet.

8. Man Gene, that pop must have made the Moon Lighter a handful. What was your best run on nitro, and did you hurt many pistons figuring out the right jet & timing?

9. OldColt

OldColt

I would have loved to have been there, or even seen a video of it. I have searched the internet and found nothing about Willy's on nitro, except for maybe Pannetons post. Gene, you may have been the only member (or one of a very few) of a very exclusive "Nitro Willy's Club".

--- Steve ---

10. Pudge87

Pudge87

Any updates on the Moonlighter?

11. Hopefully Gene and The Moonlighter will be at Ware Shoals,South Carolina drag strip next Saturday. HRP

12. OldColt

OldColt

If any of y'all locals get down to Ware Shoals with Gene, be sure to pack a camera, or at least a cellphone with one. This thread could use a restart. :D

--- Steve ---

13. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

No kidding, looking for more info on Gene's car and future runs! Btw, I received my t shirt from Cassandra and the Moonlighter is represented in Hawaii; got some pretty cool comments on the car and hope they all tune in to the HAMB to see more. hint hint :D

14. DGreggsr

DGreggsr
    from SC

At the moment this is just a little tease, while the videos load up. You may want to check back later tonight to see Gene Cromers first pass in the Moonlighter in 40 Years!!

[​IMG]

15. I was staying quiet about this,,Gene told me earlier this week that he and Quain were planning to go to Ware Shoals for a little test today,,I was concerned that the bad weather would put everything on hold.

I haven't talked to anyone today so I too and waiting with baited breath! HRP

16. AHotRod

AHotRod

Tick ...tick...tick...tick....tick......

17. elgringo71

elgringo71

Go Gene go! I think this is the first time that Gene makes a pass in the Moonlighter since 1971

18. OldColt

OldColt

Been waiting nearly a year to see the Moonlighter make it's maiden "power pass", so .... BRING IT ON!

Can't believe what it must be like for Gene after 40 times that long.

--- Steve ---

19. DGreggsr

DGreggsr
    from SC

We had a very long day. It tried to rain and was cool. Every time we got the track dried off, it rained again. Finally got to go late this afternoon here are some of the photos. Special thanks to the folks at Wareshoals dragway. They are awesome!!

[​IMG]

20. DGreggsr

DGreggsr
    from SC

21. DGreggsr

DGreggsr
    from SC

22. DGreggsr

DGreggsr
    from SC

23. DGreggsr

DGreggsr
    from SC

24. DGreggsr

DGreggsr
    from SC

25. DGreggsr

DGreggsr
    from SC

26. DGreggsr

DGreggsr
    from SC

27. DGreggsr

DGreggsr
    from SC

First Burn out of the Moonlighter with Gene at the helm.

[​IMG]

28. David,,the suspense is killin' me! :D HRP

29. DGreggsr

DGreggsr
    from SC

First launch in 40 years! Awesome job! Congratulations Gene!

[​IMG]

30. DGreggsr

DGreggsr
    from SC

Weather permitting we should do more tomorrow. Car went straight and Gene did great! Again thanks to Wareshoals dragway.