Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage North to alaska living the dream

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bob K, Jun 22, 2013.

1. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

I've got time for a few more while Maggie does her morning Girlie stuff.

You guy's are prolly getting sick of seeing these birds, sorry but I think that these are magnificant and am shooting for the perfect picture to frame.

[​IMG]

We are on the last leg of our ferry boat adventure, we have been on 6 different ships on this trip. Here are the shops on the Homer Spit (that is really a dumb name for a geographical unit.) When we dock here, the rest is all road trip.

[​IMG]

Seagulls (Rats with wings) seem to like mooring lines. All line up nice and neatly, to bad they are protected.

[​IMG]

Maggie using her "Bobby's piece and quite Machine". When there is no scenery or Eagles or Critters to look at, she reads. It's nice.

[​IMG]

This guy was moving from Wisconsin to Fairbanks Alaska, we ran into hundreds of tourist's from Wisconsin and Minnesota on this trip. The terrain is very similar to back home.

[​IMG]

It was too late for us old folks to stop but this was a neat bar on the Homer Spit at LANDS END.

[​IMG]

When I was here in 79 with my kids in my Hippie Van (Mr. Mushroom) these camping spots on the spit were all occupied by by young folks commenly reffered to as Hippie's or Beatnicks. The crowd has aged to say the least.

[​IMG]

On the way from Homer up to Kenai we spotted these out in the Cook Inlet the were close to the east shore and right accross from two Volcanoes, I have not a clue what they are but my first thought is some kind of Tsunami Warning System. I'll just post a pictures and see if anyone on here knows anything about them.

[​IMG]

Spotted Mama and baby hanging in the woods just off of the back road into Kenai.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lots of folks dip netting at the mouth of the Kenai river where it runs into the Cook Inlet. Action was very slow though as the run has not really started yet. Sure brings out the crowds though. Lots of the locals tell us that they are fed up with this dip netting rule. It was supposed to be a substinence thing for Alaskan residents. Instead, they say, that a lot of these fish are fresh frozen and sent to the lower 48 for friends and relatives or in some cases actually sold. Not in the true spirit of the law. WHATS NEW ?????????

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There was a small car show at a Ford Dealership we spotted on our way north out of Kenai, we took a cruise through and spotted only one semi HAMB friendly car.

[​IMG]

That's all I have time for this morning. We are leaving Anchorage and heading for Denali National Park for a couple of days.

Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!

B:)B

2. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

BTW. We have been here for 4 days and we still ain't seed the MOUNITAN.

B:mad:B

54delray, Mr48chev, Ebbspeed and 12 others like this.
  3. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

Bob, thats a oil platform. Thats what lets us drill for oil over water. If you look to the left side you see a single tube going down, that what is called a down hole tubular. The drill head is at the bottom of that. We actually get that natural gas thats is used in south central Alaska from the Cook inlet.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
    54delray likes this.
  4. Keep the pics coming B:DB I'm enjoying the ride.

5. dustdevil

dustdevil
    from illinois

Wow!! I'm jealous!! This is one of those once in a lifetime trips that we all hope to make, you have got to see some amazing scenery and make great memories along the way. Now I see why my dad enjoyed living up there in the military for years. It's beautiful. Thanks for all the bald eagle photos, I love them. The picture coverage is almost like being in your back pocket.

6. nexxussian

nexxussian

7. Bob:
    Enjoying the memories from 04 when Peg & I were there. Have a card in the Red Dog saloon in Juneau on the post opposite the bar & a dollar bill stuck in the ceiling.
    Have a good safe rest of the journey & keep the pics coming.
    Burn out Bob

8. Keep the photos coming Bob,,I am enjoying my virtual vacation with you guys! HRP

9. josh77

josh77

Now there's a coincidence.....:cool:

10. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

Thanks for taking the time to post day by day.

This thread may be as close as I have been to Alaska.

11. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

What the hell can be top secret on a damn ferry boat??

[​IMG]

So they're moving the "Ark of the Covenant" to Alaska. Quick, someone let Indiana Jones know! :eek:

12. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

Our home in Anchorage is a neat little Inn on lake Hood, the most active float plane lake in north america. Our host is a pilot and has 2 float planes out front and the place is decorated in all kinds of neat flying motiff.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is a ceiling fan in the hall above the staircase. It is functional.

[​IMG]

Wall art.

[​IMG]

No visit to Anchorage would be complete without a visit to Earthquake Park, when we were here in 70 this park was just started.

[​IMG]

We also like trains, even little ones.

[​IMG]

This trolley looks like it came from the town of Crandon Wisconsin about 40 miles north of home. They make a ton of these for places all over the country.

[​IMG]

Really cool huge mural on a downtown building'

[​IMG]

We think this is a tribute to the Alaska State Bird, the mosquito !!!!!

[​IMG]

K.B.'s cool inliner truck.

[​IMG]

I love the license plate, semi sweet.

[​IMG]

Maggie like Sid's austin, or is it an Anglia?

[​IMG]

jr9162's 38 Buick.

[​IMG]

We thought there was a car show here but we were a week early so we went in to check out the chocolate fountian.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gotta load some more to Picture Trail.

Be back soon.

54delray, Mr48chev, Ebbspeed and 12 others like this.
  13. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Yep,that SMISWT truck is very nice with some rare parts under the hood!

TagMan likes this.
  14. davo461

davo461

Yes! Anglia it is.
    Stay safe and continue to enjoy your trip.
    Davo.

15. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

Here is the one I had to load, I knew that this was gonna happen somewhere on this trip but I expected it on a gravel road by a big truck in front of me. Not a pickup truck coming at me a the speed limit, which I happened to be obeying also. I heard it hit and knew that it was the hood that got it. Well I was right.

[​IMG]

Job security for my body and paint guy who happens to be "duchan" here on the board. THAT WILL NOT BUFF OUT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

B:DB

54delray, Dedsoto, Ebbspeed and 12 others like this.
  16. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

Back to more pleasant pursuits. After the visit to Sid and Eric's K.B. took us to his buddy John's. For an inliner guy like me it was like dying and going to heavan.

He has a bunch of 49 to 54 Chevy's all of them with various size GMC motors and he has a bunch of spare motors also. This is in a 52.

[​IMG]

This is in a 52 HT that looks like it just came out of a junk yard as far as finish is concerned. Turbocharged no less.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In a beautifull 54

[​IMG]

He has a whole bunch of rare inliner parts and pieces.

[​IMG]

It just never ends

[​IMG]

His only 54 has this beautifull motor.

[​IMG]

The spare motor storage area.

[​IMG]

We had dinner at this place the night before last and this was hanging in the mens room.

[​IMG]

This place being the F street station, it has an airplane theme also as it used to be a pilots hangout.

[​IMG]

Anchorage and most other Alaskan cities have these hanging baskets of flowers all over the place, it really brightens up the streets.

[​IMG]

A couple more of the Lake Hood Inn, these are from the deck on the 2nd floor. See the float plane down in front.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The next morning while Kona Cruisers had his technician working on my 52 his lovley Jamie and son Liam (who slept the entire time) gave me a tour which included a place owned by The Frenchman on the old Glenn Highway that was a step back in time. I have been in dozens of these places in Northern Wisconsin and the cars all looked just like the ones back home. The ones at home have been crushed out long ago.

This car can be had for about 800.00 according to Jamie.

[​IMG]

Nice tailights. The licenses are repoped.

[​IMG]

Would you believe 2 sets of Packard lights.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nice elky

[​IMG]

Too many pictures again, to be continued.

54delray, Dedsoto, Ebbspeed and 13 others like this.
  17. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

What the hell kind of amusement ride is this, I ain't never seen nuthin like it.

[​IMG]

How did this get all the way up here?

[​IMG]

The Frenchman says the he worked with Ed Roth back in the day and has a bunch of memoriablia to prove it. We spent about an hour there and it was really enjoyable.

This is an old DeSoto converted into a truck.

[​IMG]

For all of you who havn't seen any garden gnome jokes in this thread.

[​IMG]

I also got to see this but I have been sworn to secrecy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's all for tonight folk.

54delray, Mr48chev, Dedsoto and 12 others like this.
  18. Looks you are having a FUN trip!! In the 49 years i have been there, I have driven the ALCAN Hiway (Now Alaska Hiway) 41 times. 1st time in 64, had 1300 miles of gravel from Ft Nelson (NW of Dawson Creel YT) to the Alaskan border. I'm sure you have met some of the Midnight Sun Street Rod folks by now, I formed that club in Mar 73, still going strong. I have been to all the places you have shown many times, brings back a lot of memories. Hope you trip continues to be uneventful as to repairs. I was back in Anchorage Sun and Monday, am back in Mesa as the flying job finished early, would liked to met you and yours. I was in Anch in 64 when the Great Earth Quake hit, very scary!! Best of luck on your continuing journey. I still have a 48 Chevy Aero Tudor sedan up there that I am heading back for in Aug to bring to Mesa.

19. You should have seen a metallic blue 59 El Camino of mine in Frenchies collection. He bought it for parts for his wifes green one. It had a 425 horse 427 with 400TH, 3:55 P Track. Got some parts off of it about 10 years ago for my 59 I have here.
    The 36 3W looks like Bob Browns old one. Jim Herrick put a 57 Pont 347 in it in the early 60s.

20. Leviman

Leviman

I've heard of the frenchman, but never been. Cool stuff! I really love old Packards, are those both Packard wagons?? That's a trip, I've never seen a Packard wagon. Man I need to make some connections! haha You going to be at the thursday night cruise this week?

21. Nemosgarage

Nemosgarage

Lived up there for 2 years can't wait to do the trip when I retire. Keep the pictures coming and have a safe trip.

22. Deadbird

Deadbird

I'm loving the pictures Bob. Looks like you're having a great trip.

23. I didn't know you had family up there! :D

(yeah, someone had to say it)

24. austinhunt

austinhunt

I'm lookin' forward to meeting you! I'll give you a call tomorrow!

25. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Funny that you hate seagulls so much, Bob. My wife is a life-long birder and has always considered city pigeons (rock doves) as "rats with wings." Have never heard seagulls given that moniker before.

I grew up in Miami and seagulls were just part of the landscape. Scavengers, yes, but no different from crows, blue jays, or a lot of other birds . . . in fact, Bald Eagles steal more food than they hunt. :)

26. phat rat

phat rat

Sea Gull aka flying rat. I live 1 mi inland from Lake Michigan and the gulls we grew up with in the 50's were not like the ones we have now. They were smaller, fewer, and white w/black not the mongrel things we see now. I'm with Bob that they shouldn't be protected. They are a nuisance at the beach, mall parking lots, etc.

27. volksjunky

volksjunky

I see you got to meet John, he actually ended up with the flat eight out of my Pontiac, he's difinitely an inline fan ! Ol Frenchy is a character , I've never heard of his history with Roth. Are you hitting the thursday night cruise tomorrow ?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

28. Bob, thanks for going to Alaska, the weather in Wisconsin has gotten much nicer now ! :D Can't wait to hear what the total mileage will be on this adventure, Steve.

29. rosco gordy

rosco gordy

Thank you for the wonderful pics we all is diggin em you guys be safe ........oh and have fun ah you guys all ready know that!!

30. telekenfun

telekenfun

Bob, In case you folks didn't know, you should be getting into Fairbanks just in time for "GOLDEN DAYS". That's Fairbanks' celebration to its mining heritage. Tonight there is a car show going on right now(wednesday), festivities will go on through the week end. Lots of people in 1900s period costumes.There will be the usual small town parade on Saturday that is always a hoot. You will likely see many vintage cars and contraptions as well. What ever you do, don't miss the Fountainhead Museum! Lucky You, wish I could be there as well.Stay safe, and enjoy your sojourn. The best to you both, KB.