Register now to get rid of these ads!

1954 Lincoln Capri from Gemany

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by derthor, Jun 26, 2013.

1. derthor

derthor
    from Germany

Hi @ all

My name is Thorsten and two weeks ago I bought my first american car. A 1954 Lincoln Capri, a wonderful car :D but I love Kustomz so I´m thinking about to lower the Lincoln a little bit. Now my question, does anyone knows wich springs from another car will fit and lower a 1954 Lincoln, ´cause I don´t want to cut the springs. I know this is the easiest way, but I will have the option to rebuild it one day and make it original.

Here´s my "new" car

[​IMG]

and here is the version (made with Photshop) that I want to build :D

[​IMG]

2. 1959apache

1959apache

Cool, looks good. Welcome from Indy

3. JoeyP.

JoeyP.

Those are cool cars, I would love to have one.

4. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

got one of these beauties, two tone, light/dark blue. Needs some front end body work, interior, and exhaust, but runs good.

Have no idea what springs might work, as this is a heavy car.

5. Now I have never had a Lincoln so don't quote me on this. But for Fords the Ford Aerostar (minivan) springs lower the Fords 2.5-3"s If it is the same for Lincolns (not 100% sure) they probably wont have many Aerostar minivans in Germany so the part number is Moog CC850. I believe the cheapest place to buy them online is Amazon.com.

Nice Lincoln and keep us posted on it!:cool:

6. rld14

rld14

7. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

A good spring shop should be able to get suitable springs. It would probably be cheaper to have them made, as you would save a fortune in shipping.

There may even be a common Mercedes or similar spring that will work. The right technician can figure it out.

8. Movinman

Movinman

The Mercury front end is the same as the Ford. The Moog springs are your best option for lowering the front of the car.

9. derthor

derthor
    from Germany

THX for your help :D the Aerostar springs sounds good. If that way won´t work, I found a company that will compress the springs up to 3 inches......but the small voices in my head ;) told me that I have to think about an airride system :rolleyes:....I must take a look which way I will go.

10. Rem

Rem

I've used RockAuto for parts, and they're decently priced and will ship with all the import duty paid, at least to the UK. I know that Amazon.co.uk don't always have the same stuff available as Amazon.com.

11. derthor

derthor
    from Germany

red rims, white walls and my old hubcaps, now its time to make him a little bit deeper :D but that´s a step for for the winter.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

I have a 55 capri and thinking about 5 inch lowering blocks in back 4 inch cut springs in front , use different springs if you can too save originals. Putting air-ride on the car you need too do some fabricating found this out from another hamber post I'll share the link to that post later he also had a 53 . I'm going too put 53 cadillac sumpreroes caps on mine too give it an old school custom look. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  13. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

14. guzzisven

guzzisven
    from Germany

Hi Thorsten!

I bought the coil springs for my Buick at Eaton (http://www.eatondetroitspring.com/). They´ve already lowered springs available for a lot of cars. Unfortunately for mine only the rear coils. So I sent the front coils to Wuppertal to let them press. Here´s the website of that company: http://www.kloos-autofedern.de/. Good,cheap and fast service!

Cheers Sven

15. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

Watch the "scrub line" with that much rear block. I have 3" lowering blocks on the rear of my 52' Capri and it wouldn't be safe to go with anything more. You could always have your rear leafs re-arched or maybe remove a leaf. My front springs have been cut by 1 1/2 coils.
    I did a little research and I do believe that "Shockwaves" would be a bolt in deal on the front. Check out the Shockwaves made for the Caddy and I think those would work perfect.

16. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

Opps, I forgot. As far as I can tell the Lincolns are different than the Fords and Mercs. I know 52' is completely different because it was "ball-joint" typoe front suspension vs. kingpin on the Mercs and Fords.

17. derthor

derthor
    from Germany

I was thinking about the shockwave system ´cause I think its the best and easiest way for the front suspension.

18. i am not so sure about the shockwaves. Any pics?

19. 4444Design

4444Design

20. derthor

derthor
    from Germany

[​IMG]

@ Gazolinedeniz I think shockwaves like these will work

21. 2935ford

2935ford

Welcome from East Coast Canada.

Nice ride.
    I had a '53 Capri years ago....the smoothest running engine and driving car I have ever had.

22. guess the problem with these is
    they put the cars weigt on the shockmounts instead of the springcup:-(