Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Recreating the jesse lopez coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by jivin jer, Aug 18, 2012.

1. Karl stark

Karl stark

Jer,you ever find one of those refrigirator trays for the radiator air scoop?m

2. jivin jer

jivin jer

Nope, still lookin'. In the antique stores I look for the old galvanized tubs, barrel's or trays that are there. They all have the correct lip on them. It needs to be 18" wide. I thought my wife found one in Sacramento but, it had square corners. I can fab one out of a barrel, tub or tray that's deep enough.
    Thanks for asking.

3. jivin jer

jivin jer

I meant to say bucket instead of barrel, sorry.

4. jivin jer

jivin jer

This is the L side done. It needed a lot of "bumping" to get it where it needed to be.

Attached Files:

5. Karl stark

Karl stark

IMHO it was worth all the time, not to mention the money you invested to get the chop right. A little black and white photoshoping and this might be a photo Jesse took at the same point in the original build. Your doin good Jer. By the way, I'm glad you clarified bucket from barrel. I don't have the strength to kick the barrel when that time comes.

6. It looking good or I guess I should say looked good when you did it.:D

Thanks for the updates!!

7. jivin jer

jivin jer

I'm workin' my ass off as I look over my shoulder to see if you guy's are gainin". You are.

8. jivin jer

jivin jer

Well now that I have the parts talking to me and, me answering back, it's a signal that I need to back off a bit. As you know I'm pretty much doing this car by myself. I need to remove this self inflicted lash off of my back. Sometimes it seems overwhelming.This same thing happened on Jr's car. The dash was completely done and I had put it away to protect it. Oh no, one day it marched in and demanded to be installed. These dead on clones become tyrants when they discover that things have to be done in a particular way. I woke up early this morning and declared I'm on vacation. If we make the 2014 GNRS, we do, if we don't, we don't. Oh, what a weight of off my back. I think I can go out there and have fun, we'll see.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
  9. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Monumental task to undertake alone, the chop recovery has been awesome to watch. Very impressive. Does this mean we're caught up?

10. jivin jer

jivin jer

We've got to finish up the doors, go back and pick up where we were on the chassis (post #629), install the engine/trans, build the headers/megaphones, install the body, build the running board covers and the rear gravel shield. Then we're caught up if I stop now.

I've located the upholstery guy, the chrome guy's and I still have to buy more stuff. Oh, did I forget paint?

NOW I SHOULDN'T HAVE DONE THAT, HEELLLP!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2013
  11. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry I asked. :eek:

But you've gotten a lot done, keep the pics coming!

12. jivin jer

jivin jer

I'm going to go back and forth (R-L) on the upper door frames. Here's the R with the parts car piece tacked in place.

Attached Files:

13. jivin jer

jivin jer

This is where we get our shape for the door end/corner.

Attached Files:

14. jivin jer

jivin jer

Establishing the top of the door opening with 1/4" rod.

Attached Files:

15. daddio211

daddio211

Unreal. Your tenacity blows me away!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

16. Karl stark

Karl stark

I like the way you are establishing the door openings with the 1/4" rod. I don't think I've seen that done so much on this era build, usually just round the corners and than adjust the gaps with lead. Do you tack and form as you go or pre-form the piece off the car. Also, it looks like you were doing some carpentry work and hit the wrong nail. Ouch!

17. jivin jer

jivin jer

I form the rod as I go, it comes straight and is easily manipulated into what you want it to be.

My eye's aren't as good as yours Karl, I don't see what your talking about.

We're gettin' there.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  18. Karl stark

Karl stark

Was that your left hand holding the template for rounding the upper left door corner? Looks like the ring finger nail got beat with a hammer.

19. mikes51

mikes51

I kept my drip rails but I've heard of the big gap that shows up when the rail is removed.

At first I thought the tacked in rod was going to be the new the top edge of the door. (cutaway the tacks, the 1/4 rod stays with the door, leaving a perfect door gap). In hindsight 1/4 is too thick for the door.

but I see now you are using the rod to get a nice edge on the roof.

Looks good.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  20. jivin jer

jivin jer

Karl, that was an injured fingernail in the process of falling off. It got damaged on the Saturday that son Dan and I got the new top in Oklahoma.

This is the picture that I sent to Jr. to remind him that he had said "you did a good job on my car, there's a lot more work to do on Jesse's car". I replied that I knew that and would get some help (ha!). It shows that finger, a bandaged hand and a bumped head.

We are almost ready for BBBBBBBBondo.

Attached Files:

21. C'mon Jer, did you forget to duck(?) - the roof is lower now! :D

-Dave

22. Jer......IT LOOKS GREAT!
    Thanks for all the info & photos.

23. Jer, any progress pictures from inside the car ?
    Just curious

24. jivin jer

jivin jer

Inside the car? Oh, wait a minute, I know what you mean. I'll get some.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  25. Karl stark

Karl stark

My eyes aren't as good as yours are Jer, I don't see what your talking about.

26. jivin jer

jivin jer

I call this a "bondo bridge". It bridges that trough below the rear window. It will save time and material. It is welded in after applying some weld through primer.

Attached Files:

27. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

Did they use very much bondo in Jesse's day?

28. There is one in every crowd........

29. banditomerc

banditomerc

. Looks great Jerry.You're correct when you say,"clone projects become tyrants".When I did the Ayala clone,I would obsess over the smallest detail,temporarily insane at times!
    . Anyway,good job so far.dont take off to long,want to meet you and see it at gnrs 2014.