Register now to get rid of these ads!

puttin a sbc in a 55 ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mikhett, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Once I has a clapped out 73 mustang. It had a really good 302engine. I sold the engine. My son Chris who was 16 at the time wanted that old car. I gave it to him. There was a 351W in a car that was a stripped junker. He installed it in the mustang. fired it up and it ran like crap. He relpaced the very worn timing chain. Still ran crappy. I kept telling him it had bad valves. He finally pulled the heads and every exhaust valve was severly burnt. He found some good 69 heads and fixed it. That was a very fast car. He beat a 70 chev with a LTI in a drag race. had to race the chevy three times before he admitted that a junk 2bbl ford was faster than his high dollar chev 4 bbl. Chris was born to turn wrenches, Unfortunately he died in a car crash when he was 17. That was 20 years ago today.

2. While I would probably never do another Y-block (I'm way over the thrill of adjusting valve lash, getting burned while replacing plugs, or crawling into the engine compartment to change points), there is absolutely no reason why a properly-built/tuned Y-block can't run with the best of them or be as reliable as any other same-vintage motor. I had a friend in the late 60s that had a 272-powered '56 Ford 2-dr with a T-10 that regularly embarrassed SS350 Camaros and 400 Firebirds street racing.

I have also seen them absorb abuse that would kill a SBC in a 'heartbeat' (is that where that came from? LOLOL) and keep on going. I've had more engine failures with GM motors than all other brands combined....

That crank failure in my '56 was the only Ford that didn't get me home.

3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Old wolf - sorry about your loss.

4. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

Sucks Old Wolf, I never want to find out how that feels, God Bless!

5. slowmotion

slowmotion

Yes, it was quite common for those healthy 272's to whip-up on those LT-1's, L79's, LS6's, L88's, fighter jets, SR-71's, the space shuttle, yep, seen it all the time...uh-huh...yep them things were strong, uh-huh...:eek::rolleyes::D

6. You may be right. I wouldn't blame him.

7. Its getting pretty deep time to bring out the hip waders.;)now ill admit the 312 fords would sometines give a 283 chevy fits. There was a local builder who built some 312,s that did very well on the dirt track stock cars. right up until the chevy 327 came out and that was the end of the Y block stock car success around here. One guy put a 430 Mel in his 57 ford and tred to pass it off as a Y block. By and large almost every Y block I was ever around was a blowby belching dog. Y blocks where common around here in F600 trucks. Ive swapped a few FE,s into those bob trucks and the FE Pulled better and got better fuel economy too boot.

8. Thanks its something you wouldnt want to wish on you worst enemy. Ive came to terms with it and got past it, however it something you never get over. OldWolf

9. I never said the 272 was stock.... ;) The guy's older brother was a machinist and could work magic on Ford motors; he later built a lightweight Falcon sedan that went 8.90 with a 302 (on the motor, no power adders) at Bremerton Raceway.

It also didn't hurt that he was running 4.30 rear gears. This was stoplight-to-stoplight, not a quarter...

10. That little kid when he was twelve built a 289 and put it in a 64 fairlane Htp. That engine would turn 8500 RPM. It would blow oil out the dipstick and oil filler cap at that high RPM. blow out a quart in a 1/4 mile. I still have the car & engine. Its the green car in the background, the red car he installed a 351W and FMX trans. OldWolf

Attached Files:

11. I've got a 1957 Chrysler 300C. The 392 Hemi is getting tired. I think I'll repower it with a '29 Model A Ford 4--Banger. Does anybody know where I can find a kit for this?

12. kracker36

kracker36

I offer one for this swap. Google hemiblowssoidroppedina4banger.com

13. My dad had a 63 ford unibody and a 64 international PK. The binder had a broke rearend housing. He swapped the 4 cyl and three speed from the scout into the ford there was even a place to mount a ford master cyl to activate the international hyd clutch slave cyl. He also put the international no spin 456 gears in a 56 ford pk housing and used the 56 axles & brake parts. He prefered to drive the ford because he had a stock rack that fit it. It stayed on the truck permenetly. I dont remember why he pulled the 292 from the ford I do remember what he did with it. Back then we could easily get dynamite for blowing up stumps. He packed that engine full and blew it up. Im pretty shure he was mad at it. He drove that 63 Pk until 1995. He then bought a brand new ford truck. First thing he did was build a metal stock rack and weld it permanetly to the bed.:eek: His name was Norman. and he always had a temper. We called him stormin Norman. LOL OldWolf

14. Dirty2

Dirty2

PM me your phone # and ill send you some pictures of my 56 Parklane with a sbc in it . You just need a nova oil pan . Make your own mounts .

15. Check out mikes user profile. he belongs to the 52-59 ford social group. there are plenty of threds and post &pictures of SBC engines in fords there. Mike was you just yanking on our chain? Its a fun thred anyway. I havent done anything useful today just drank beer loafed around and played on the internet. I think I go to bed.

16. k9racer

k9racer

The main reason.s for small block chevrolet swaps. They are cheap. plentiful. You can find parts any where.They are very simple to work on. My mom if she were still alive could build a sm block chevy. In my car inventory just to name a few. I have all of the big 3 covered..I have a 55 ford Y block. a 53 Ford Buick powered. a 72 Ford truck 427 FE.. a 78 dodge truck 360 mopar HP replacement engine, 4 round track cars 2 small block chevy and a 71 Baracuda 440 powered and a vintage 34 ford flat head powered. My fork lift has a Hercules engine. I can rework 3 chevys for what it cost to build a Y block. If he was closer to me I would help him with the swap as I have done it several times.. Bobby..

17. Edsel58a

Edsel58a

What? The Y block is wider than the Cleveland. There is also a 460 54 Ford running around near me that was not clipped....

18. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Not to worry fella's Mike's bringing the car to my shop. I know my way around a welder.
    But I'd try to steer him into keeping it all Ford, just so we dont't have to do any oil pan stuff.
    Mike, I've even got a Mustang 302 and trans if you want it!

19. 34Larry

34Larry

Well at the very least BB427 we agree on something.
    I've often considered starting my own show, no awards, just food/drink and bench racing. One section for the guys who buys 'em and one for guys who builds 'em.
    BTW you say "overlook the Olds, Caddy, Ford, etc. cars?" You misunderstand me I think or I misunderstand you. Those are the cars that drew my attention.

Well Mike guess you got some input.
    How about a 425 Buick nailhead. I have one if you would maybe consider it. Its a dual quad, 360 horse that needs freshening, but there are plenty of aftermarket parts out there now.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  20. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

A Viva? I started putting a 283/glide in one when I was 15, always wanted to go back and do it right. Theres a black one around here with a flip nose that I have seen at a couple cruise nights.

21. Believe it or not Ive got one of those too. its a 401 with a weiand intake and the very rare wieand valvecovers. TRI Y hedders and go fast goodies inside. Their cool but the heads are the limiting factor. Like the Y block the heads just dont have the performance potential that the better chevy and pontiac mills do.

Attached Files:

22. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

my reply:
    "Why would looking at cars with a SBC cause you to overlook the Olds, Caddy, Ford, etc. cars?"

I think you misunderstood my reply. You indicated you would be overlooking the other engines if you spent time looking at cars with a SBC engine. As I said, I see no reason that looking at any car with a SBC engine while judging would make you somehow overlook others?

23. Edsel58a

Edsel58a

Not trying to sway anyone or 'jack this thread, but a 351C fits way better than a 351w in a 54 -56 Ford. The canted heads are the key.
    This is in a 54.......

[​IMG]

24. MoparJoel

MoparJoel

For half a second I thought you were serious and got so mad...:D, that is my dream car(57 300), with my dream engine(392)... Sorry for highjacking this thread but damn im jealous. Please live the dream for both of us!

25. alicia-dusty

alicia-dusty

There is a kit for this abominaion? As a mopar guy the only thing I can buy is a license plate topper.

26. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Another reason to put a Chevy in your Mopar! I'm sure there's a kit for you! ;)

27. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

mopars are poop

28. MoparJoel

MoparJoel

Thanks for digging up a old thread to point that out...your opinion makes you a real hero...:rolleyes:

29. You gotta be talking about Dave Bliss, his SB Fords were killer in the Northwest.I mainly have raced Ford FEs since the mid 70s, but after meeting guys like Bliss and Don Divito at Bremerton in the 80`s, I gained major respect for the little 289-302 Ford. Hell, the pump gas, flat tappet 331 SB Ford in my Mustang is only 45 HP shy of my FE 427, and less than 1/2 second slower in the 1/4 mile. Maybe in the 60s it hade sense to slap a SB Chev in an older Ford, but with all the 302 and 5.0 Mustang stuff and engines out there, I can`t believe that anybody really thinks that you can`t build or find a good running SB Ford for a swap, or find just as many Ford parts at the local auto parts store to keep the car on the road. A SB Ford is almost a bolt in for a 55-59 Ford car, the engines are everywhere, narrower and lighter than a SB Chev, and if you ever want to sell the car, you won`t be alienating the Ford guys with a 1/2 breed. Sounds like a no brainer to me.

30. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

Wah wah wah