Register now to get rid of these ads!

About 13 Months Ago...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shaun1162, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

..... I started working on my old stock car that used to race locally, which had been neglected out in the woods for quite some time....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here it is, just about 13 months later:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Part way through the restoration I realized that making it street legal would let me get alot more use out of it... It's not truly "done" (next project is the hood), but it is registered, inspected and insured- so now at least I can DRIVE it!

Here's the car circa 1971 (or possibly 72) with the last driver standing next to it:

[​IMG]

(Sorry... I know this belongs more on my build thread... But I just had to share)

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Awesome save! VERY nice job.

3. The car turned out pretty good. HRP

4. Lots of good work there!

5. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm more of a truck guy but damn that is one sweet ride. Great job in the restore.

6. barslazyr

barslazyr

Nice job bringing it back to life, Looks great.

7. Rodding, racing, and restoring collide! Fantastic job!!

8. Damn, damn, damn cool! Have your contacted any of the previous owners or drivers since the resto? .... absolutely bitchen!

9. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good job! Really cool that you kept it pretty much true to it's original racing form.

10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Cool - when are you going to take on a real project? - Ha! Great job.

11. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Thanks everyone!

Ha, as a matter of fact I'm more of a truck guy myself! I have 4 other trucks and only one road-worthy car...

To be honest though, this is race car is really more of a truck! Basically the body is the only real true part from a car... I was told the frame is was from a pickup, the motor came out of an F-6, the transmission out of an F-1, the rearend came out of an F250, and the radiatior, steering box, and master cylinder (at least the originaly one) came out of a mid-60's Chevy C10

Thanks! Yes I have been in contact with them... I found the original builder of the car this winter, and he actually lives next door to where he originally built it! He remembers quite a bit about it, but to be honest he'd rather talk more about hunting which is his current passion..

The guy in the photo unfortunately passed away just a few years after it was taken, but his daughter has been very enthusiastic about the restoration and enjoys seeing the progress on it.

Thanks! I tried my hardest to keep it in as-raced condition- welded doors, welded trunk, you sit in the middle of the car, etc. I made the lights and everything so I could remove the exterior parts and put it back to vintage race worthy in the matter of a few hours

Well, I figured I've restored two other factory vehicles, and I've restored this homemade vehicle... So now, I guess I'll have to build my own vehicle! :rolleyes:

12. Redlighting

Redlighting
    from Tn

Wow!! Great job!

13. Too cool! That will turn a few heads going down the road. Damn nice job.

14. pumpman

pumpman

You did a real nice job man, love the fact that you saved it, and brought it back (even better) as she was born.

15. Ol Dawg

Ol Dawg

Love old race cars. Great job !

16. And street driven! Love it!

17. Great job! That would be a great ride to bring to the Jalopy Showdown next year in PA. You could make some laps around the old dirt race track.

18. pbr40

pbr40
    from NW Indiana

Bad ass!!! Thanks for sharing

19. outlaw256

outlaw256

ah man I want that!!!!!

20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice work. It looks like you had your work cut out for you on that project from the before photos.

21. Speedchop

Speedchop
    from Sweden

Turned out really nice!

Cheers/ Jonas

22. deuce354

deuce354

I grew up watching cars like that. Sweet coupe, nice job!!!!

23. wow! awesome transformation!! great job!

24. man, when I looked at those first photos I thought, this is not going to end well. I eat my words - Great Job

25. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

That does look like a great event... But just a little too far out of my range! I hate to leave NH :rolleyes:

I'm still waiting to meet the first cop with it! Not sure how that'll go over

Haha, don't worry- you weren't the first to doubt that the restoration could be done.... Since I'm 19 people REALLY had their doubt that it would get finished at first- But I guess I proved 'em wrong :cool:

26. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I also saw the first pictures, and wondered how a rusty old race car could be brought to any condition that would be cool? Well I'd say you answered my question! That's a very cool and very unique rod! I doubt you'll see anything like it running around, and I bet it gets tons of thumbs up! Nice work!

27. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

Yeah, Cool!

28. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Glad you guys like it :)

There is a '34 Ford sedan that is similar to this on the road, but has been changed quite a bit, and not realy sure if it ever raced or not...

It does atract some attention driving though! Lots of people waving, thumbs up, and staring at it when I drive by

29. David Chandler

David Chandler

Good New Hampshire tin!

30. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Yup! Amazingly the body managed to remain pretty intact after all those years... The frame.. Well that was a different story :rolleyes: