Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Imperial 1954 Dodge pickup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by F-ONE, Jun 1, 2013.

1. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Sometimes hot rods are built by accident. This is a story of one built due to an accident.
    This story takes place in the mid 50s in Clay County Alabama. It involves a father, his two sons and a 54 Dodge Pickup.
    Mr. Williamson was a farmer who supplimented his income by painting houses and doing carpentry work. In 1954 he needed a new truck and found a truck he liked at the local Chrysler dealership.

Maybe he liked the deep bed in the Dodge, perfect for his work. Mr. Williamson and the entire family were very proud of their new truck. A new vehicle in those days was a big deal. For the boys it was the first brand new vehicle their family had purchased. It was a special event and a special trust when Mr. Williamson let his boys drive the shiny black truck.

I do not know the details but Mr. Williamson had some business in town that fateful day in late 1955. He was not at fault. Whatever happened whether someone crossed over into his lane or pulled out in front of him is not clear. The result was catastrofic for the little black Dodge. Mr Williamson was sore but unhurt.
    The wreck was sadly pulled to the same dealership where just over a year before it left triumpfully, at least for the Williamson family.

The news from the dealer was not good. The damage was severe. All the sheet metal foreward of the cab was a loss. Even the firewall of the cab was damaged due to the engine smashing into it. The frame was bent and the engine block was busted. It should have been a total loss but this was 1955.

There was insurance money available but not near enough for a new truck. So the dealership made a special effort to fix the Willaimson's truck.

A couple of weeks passed and the dealer phoned. Good news. The truck was near repaired. The head mechanic said he had fixed worse and the damage was not quite as bad as first thought. All it needed now was a new engine which should have been no problem. Another two weeks pass and Mr. Williamson called to check on his truck. For some reason truck engines were in short supply. There was not one in Alabama. Mr. Williamson understood but let the dealer know he really needed his truck.
    The dealer called back later that day. He had found a new engine in Montgomery a brand new V8. He had talked it over with his mechanic and it could be installed with a little creativity. The dealer presented this to Mr. Williamson and he agreed.

Finally the day came and the truck was ready. The mechanic as well as the dealer were proud of their creation. The mechanic with a grin opened the hood of the shiny black truck and there sat the new engine as good as if it came from the factory. The engine, a 1956 Imperial Hemi head. The dealer stated with a grin, "And it's got a 90 warranty!"

The family was glad to have the little black truck back but for the boys it was someting else. They had always been proud of it, but now it was Cool. They were in love. It still looked the same except it sat a little lower in the front and two pipes just peaked out below the back bumper. It now had a rumble and the Hemi combined with the 6cyl axle made it a monster. A wolf in sheeps clothing. Today we would call it a sleeper.

The boys worked the farm and helped their father. They raised their own chickens and hogs for their own money. After the second set of rear tires in as many months, Mr Williamson informed his boys the next set of truck tires would come out of their "hog" money.
    So things settled down a little. A few months later Mr. Williamson sent his youngest son Fred across town to fetch his wooden extension ladder. Fred was 17 at the time and really was the most level headed of the two boys.
    Fred loaded the heavy wooden ladder in the back of the truck. The ladder was a ancient 3 section extension ladder.
    There was one red light in town. As Fred idled at the light a sleek black 51 straight eight Pontiac Coupe eased up beside him. The Pontiac goosed his engine. This was too much for mild mannered Fred. He returned the favor and could not wait for the green to show that guy this little black truck is more than a hay hauler.

The light turned green and the little black truck launched like Sputnick. The Pontiac not to be undone caught Fred and passed him. This began a passing duel that would go from four lane to two lane to eventually dirt as the rural road aproached the Williamson Farm. As the road became dirt Fred passed the Pontiac for the last time. The speedo only went to 80 or 90 and that had long been exceeded. Just as Fred got around the Coupe he heard two noises one loud the other extremely Loud. The wooden ladder had blown out the back. Fred could see the ladder desintigrate on the front of the Pontiac. The Coupe then fish tailed off the road. Fred was at such a high rate of speed he knew if he touched the brakes on dirt he may loose it so he coasted for nearly half a mile. When he slowed down enough to control the truck he turned around to check on the Pontiac.
    When he pulled up to the coupe the older fellow, all of about 23, was surveying the damage. He looked up at Fred, pulled the cigarette from the corner of his mouth and said, " I'm not saying nothing if you ain't, I'm loaded and I gotta get the hell out of here." With that the fellow jumped in the battered Pontiac and went on his way. He was loaded with white lightning or moonshine whiskey.
    Fred looked around on the road and there was no piece of his father's old ladder bigger than a half dollar. So he drove the truck the short distance to the house.
    As he pulled in he could see his dad watching him from the barn. He went straight to the porch and inside the house.
    Fred told me his dad never asked what happened to the ladder. You see the Pontiac wrecked within earshot of the Williamson Farm. Fred never told me what became of the truck. I assume it served them for a few more years.
    I'd like to think that somewhere in a barn or field in Clay County it sits and that maybe someday it will catch a young man's eye and Oh what a suprise when he opens the hood.

2. MoparJoel

MoparJoel

.....WOW, Im speechless. that was the coolest car(truck) story I have ever heard. I would love to know what happened to that truck such an awesome story needs a truck to go along with it. Thanks for sharing that, This is why I love the HAMB.

3. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Yeah, I wish the truck was available to be pictured in this story. Maybe it will be found someday. Fred Williamson never told me what became of it.
    I can't help but imagine that dealership mechanic as a WWII vet. Maybe he got his experience in the Air Corps pounding battered B-17s back together.

4. bomcadillac

bomcadillac
    from Las Vegas

It wasn't my 54. Still had the 6 flatty when I got it