Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods .

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chucky, Dec 30, 2011.

1. ...you bringin the coupe to the Meltdown?

2. 40FordDeluxe

40FordDeluxe

Very nice rear shot! I'm jealous you went to Back to the 50's. :)

3. El Jefe ATX

El Jefe ATX
    from Austin TX

I'm a slow reader.

4. Plung

Plung
    from San Diego

Love the pic in post #881!!!

5. PA-IndianRider

PA-IndianRider

Me Too !!!!!

Shots like this one really capture the "feeling" of driving a gasser/hot rod on the street.

Threads & pictures helps guys like me to "keep going" when thoughts of "will I ever get this thing done" overwhelm us.

6. n847

n847

Good to get the ole blood pumping huh! Its good for the ticker!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. 40FordDeluxe

40FordDeluxe

Glad to hear you're leaning on it some and enjoying it!

8. El Jefe ATX

El Jefe ATX
    from Austin TX

Bring it down to west Texas and you could yank it into 4th all day and see whatcha got.

9. nice !

10. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Hi Plumbid

Your Gasser looks very nice, it is amazing how the 37' Plymouth's & Chevys look close to each other maybe some of the design team worked at both factory's

Some engine turned gold leaf would set it off just right, had silver on my blue 37'

A word about having a safe car at speed as your sets pretty high in the front, at speed a lot of air is going to get packed in under the car trying to lift the front and do bad things

I raced in the 60's the hay days of the gasser and the serious cars set level like my 37' in the pic, I know guys now think they have to be way up in the air but that is not good at speed [ just a word of caution ] as I saw a few flip and that sticks with you for life

Wan't to see you have a good safe time at the drags

Sincerely

Don Nowell

11. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I did a lot of 1/4 mile racing in the 70's and 80's, and enjoyed it, but now when I occasionally run it's 1/8 mile strips. The Austin went 90 mph in the 1/8 last year at the Billetproof drags, and it was fun! Not sure I want to be behind the wheel at whatever speed it might do in the 1/4 mile. My reactions aren't as quick as they were back in the 70's!

12. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

With the power that engines are making now your car will most likely go as fast in the 1/8 as my car did in the 1/4

Record setter at Irwindale in 66' at 121.80 for the B/Gas class

I would think about getting it lower before getting any ware close to those speeds, as you sure need to keep the shinny side up.

The C/G of your car is pretty hi and that is not very good for hi speed !!!

One other thing is throw away that Teflon Tape as it will plug up stuff you don't wan't plugged, the sharp pipe threads will cut that tape and the little pieces will get in bad places like your carb neddle seats - pressure regulator and guage etc

Plus it acts like a lube on the pipe threads and gives you a improper feeling when installing fittings etc, and you can over thighten and part and crack the female threaded part

Get some Loctite Instant Gasket kind of a thick dark red sealer that works with gas - water and oil it is great stuff for a race car, you can't go wrong using Loctite sealers

You might have to call a bearing house to get the sealer as it used to be an industrial type of product, but now it might be at a parts store too?

G Don

13. PA-IndianRider

PA-IndianRider

I plan to also add a 3rd brake ...... have had a few ideas of the years (and projects)..... still have a few of them still laying around.

Found this a few years ago ...... will use this on the Opel ..... eventually!!!! L o L!!!!

[​IMG]

For more info go to: http://www.obrientruckers.com/ecom/product/248/2626/

14. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Just put the springs under the axle instead of over. All that would take was some spring perches.

Meltdown Drags 2014 July 19, 20

15. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

That's a serious amount of drop! 2" axle tube(twice) plus the thickness of the springs and perch, would probably drop the front at least 6". It may not be aerodynamic stance, but it looks killer and will be fine at 1/8 mile, and maybe even 1/4 too. Unless it gets up around 140 or more, and then who knows.

16. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Re page 42, post #822, I photoshopped a 6" drop (more or less) into the front of the car. It certainly doesn't detract from the "attitude" of the car, bringing the axle centerline more even with the lower bodyline and reducing that air wedge under the car that may well reduce the "pucker factor" moments at speed. :)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  17. PandorasBox99

PandorasBox99

leave it up there looks great looks

18. n847

n847

Looks great either way I'd say bring it down if it makes it safer. But it would be hard to make this car look bad! Just Bad Ass!

19. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I like it the way you have it. The stance is great!

20. rustang

rustang

++1.....If the car drives straight and confident, leave it, the car looks great as she sits...
    Tom

21. Great work! Subscribed

22. I like this much better[​IMG]

23. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

The plugs can look rich, and it could be rich while running down the road, but too lean off idle, which is not unusual with a tunnel ram setup. I don't remember what carbs you used, but if they're 450 Holleys, then I'd either go to 50cc accelerator pumps, or go 4-5 sizes larger on your nozzles. The idle circuit, and cruise circuits of the carb are fine, but you need either larger accelerator pumps, or bigger squirter nozzles to overcome the lean off idle pop. Might even need both. I'd try the nozzles first, as it's cheaper, and easier, plus you don't need to remove the carbs to swap them.
    I have the twin 450's on my Austin with 327, and I went to 50cc pumps, plus larger nozzles. If I had gone to carbs with vacuum secondaries, I could probably have just used larger nozzles ot overcome this stutter and pop, but since mine don't have vacuum secondaries, I needed both to make them work.
    On the 454 I simply went from stock #25 nozzles to #35, and took care of the pop back off idle. I bet yours mostly does it in gear, not when revving the engine in neutral too!

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  24. n847

n847

As you know I'm fighting hella Holley carb issues right now and it does sound like accelerator pump or squirter issues...then again I've only got one carb and I'm F'd up worse than a soup sandwich!

25. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

That's the correct procedure for Edelbrock. Move the linkage to the arm closest to the pivot point. They also have various metering rods that you can swap in to give it a better shot. You'd need to figure out what rod you have stock, and then play with various other rods to increase the squirt.

26. my bet is on carb/ignition timing rather than mechanical, hope it is all set now, let us know....

27. OldColt

OldColt

Car looks great !! Looks like you're getting it all sorted out with a little help from "mans best friend". .. lol

Off topic a bit, but I chuckle every time I see and old gasser coupe. I sat between two guys at the strip back in the 60's, and they were hollering over the noise at each other and pointing and commenting as old gassers went down the track. An argument started over a car being a B/G car, or a C/G car. One of the guys thought the other was calling the coupe models "Big Ass" cars, confusing that with B/G cars.

--- Steve ---

28. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Hey Chuck, you're famous! Just got issue #85 of Gasser Wars Magazine, and your car is pictured in the Back to the 50's coverage!

29. n847

n847

Thats awesome!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

30. steamer

steamer

Hey, Great to see the finished product. You are an inspiration to the low buck do it your selfers. Have fun with that thing!!!!