Register now to get rid of these ads!

Buying a car out of state

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chopped 66 Bug, Jul 15, 2013.

1. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Bought my truck from out of state without seeing it in person. I should have asked more direct questions. The seller's idea of "usual rust" included the cab sitting on 2 x 4's and no viable cab mounts. The engine did run, but needed a total tuneup, not the "carb needs adjusting" answer I got. Fortunately it worked out okay and it's my daily driver now. I probably would not have bid what I did had I seen the floors and cab mounts though. From now on it's eyes on the product or a professional appraisal up front.

2. Bphotrod

Bphotrod
    from da U.P.

I just sold my A coupe over the net. I described honestly and accurately everything about the car. Got a $500 deposit while he lined up shipping. He then wire transferred the rest of the money. Several shippers flaked out on him while I kept the car waiting on him. After two weeks he finally got a shipper that would be willing to pick up at my location (Michigans upper peninsula) and deliver to his location ( Long Island NY). He got the car and was happy that it was better than he expected. He never did look at the car in person though. Your experience may vary.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. Nonstop

Nonstop
    from CA

I am helping a friend build his truck he bought off eBay. It came from Michigan and the pictures looked great. The seller seemed nice and honest. It looked like it needed little to no work. If he had asked before buying, we still would have likely told him to hold off.

Well, 5 or so years later, we are putting it back together. Fenders, doors, bed sides, and wheels and tires are what we are reusing. Rust is a bitch!

May be hard to justify, but had he spent the money for 2 round trip tickets (he and I) he would have saved well over $10 thousand (stopped counting a while ago since he was already into it this far and do not want him to feel bad) and been able to drive the truck he wanted instead of having a non running truck for YEARS.

Take it for what it is worth, but spending a little now might save a lot later.

4. mx6262

mx6262

I cant belive this post is up!

Im doing the same thing buying out of state, lots of good info here. I need a someone in Ill to look at a truck. May get T/T to look as well.

Someone in the area can send an PM and I will respond asap.

I will be glad to pay for gas and lunch..

We both are hammers....And will agree to show and test.

Thanks again,

Words of wisdom...

Dont mean to high jack the post....

Sorry.

:eek:

5. ginuine555

ginuine555
    from louisiana

If you have any doubts you have to see it in person. Spend the extra money and see it for yourself. Pictures make things look better than they may be.

6. Gman0046

Gman0046

You cannot afford not to go look at a car before you buy it. Too many scammers out there. Just remember pictures always look better then in person.

7. Chopped 66 Bug

Chopped 66 Bug

I knew what ya meant there bud, just pulling yer chain.

Mike

8. Chopped 66 Bug

Chopped 66 Bug

Hijack the thread?? Not a problem if my inquiry helps someone else in the same boat all the better. Good luck on your deal.

Mike

9. I bought my car off a well known HAMBer, talked to him a few times, looked a ton of pics, watched a couple of videos of the car running and talked to 2 guys who knew the car before I bought it without going to look at it. I knew I was buying a project, and I didn't feel there wasn't enough value in the car to justify flying out to look at it, but I did think I was buying a drivable/platable car.

For the rest of the story, have a look at my build thread.

10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

need to look for yourself - what is acceptable to someone else may not be OK for you. you will be looking with a whole set of different eyes as to what is good and bad. even going to look at a ride it is easy to get so caught up in the moment and still not completely check out possible new ride. or the fact that you spent all of the $ flying out that you feel that you must buy it. you can get a Bank Draft, not Cashier's Check for making payment. it is OK to just say no deal. Good Luck. if you do buy it be sure to post the story with pics here.

11. I would never purchase an automobile sight unseen; that's me though, I am weird like that.

12. Guys, there are several very reputable auto inspection companies that have inspectors in all states and in Canada that will inspect, drive, and provide an in-depth, non-biased inspection of any car or truck. Generally, these inspections run from $350 and up, depending on the customers' needs. What would you rather do? Spend the money on an inspection that is free of buyer's emotions and biases? Or buy a car sight-unseen (or off pics only), and take your chances?

I do inspections for a well-recognized inspection company, and have inspected everything from $150K BMWs to $100K hotrods, to $15K Toyotas and Pontiacs. I drive the car and go by a comprehensive, copyrighted and proprietary inspection criteria, provided by the company, that details every possible aspect of the car and does NOT involve disassembly of anything. It involves a drive, inspect, check everything possible, and take as many pictures of the car in every possible way, including underneath. Since I have no interest in the car as a buyer, and represent the buyer in the inspection process, it results in a totally non-biased look at the vehicle.

If you fly out one-way to see a car, you are going to spend at least $300 just in the flight, and one-way, at that! It's not what you want, and now you have to buy an even more expensive one-way flight home. So, that inspection fee seems quite reasonable now! Peace of mind, or a car in pieces?

Something to consider.

13. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Inspection services are great. No question about it. But, they do nothing to alleviate the buyer's concern that if he sends the money, he may never receive the car......which is the OP's primary concern.

14. That's another matter entirely, of course. But, with an inspection, you know what you are getting, as far as the vehicle goes. We don't inspect sellers, though. That's where good old intuition comes into play...and hopefully, a reference or two!