Register now to get rid of these ads!

WTF, who here is running a working vacuum wiper

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kcbeardclub, Jul 15, 2013.

1. kcbeardclub

kcbeardclub
    from KCMO

Hey, I have a 51 Fleetline that is 95% stock and I'm doing my best to keep it that way. It is running on it's original 6 volt system, but I am having a hell of a time with the wipers. I have adjusted, rebuilt, added an aux vacuum fuel pump, but it still fails as a wiper. Is anyone out here running the 6 volt vacuum wiper with success OR does anyone know where I can get a decently priced 6 volt electric motor? Thanks a million for any and all input.
    T

2. GREASER815

GREASER815

Stock vacuum motor, works like a dream, you realize its not going to work well under accel or anytime vacuum is low. It will never function like electric wipers do. Just go to the junkyard, grab a motor from rear window of an SUV and make some brackets up...shouldn't be a big deal.

3. WillyNilly

WillyNilly
    from NorCal

I'm running the vacumn motor in my Willys pickup. I just squirted a bit of oil into the motor to soften up the seals. Seems to work better, but not like an electric one.

4. BJR

BJR

I have a 52 Willys 3A that I bought 2 NOS wiper motors on the Bay for. They work great, except when you floor it going up a hill.

5. kcbeardclub

kcbeardclub
    from KCMO

I do realize that it won't ever be an electric motor, but the blades hardly move at all even on the downhill?? Sorry a bit frustrated with this. Unless I'm a bit slow (probably) how will an SUV rear wiper work on a 6 volt? Thanks for the input fellas

6. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

I kept the vacuum wipers on my 55. All that I did was take the motor apart, clean it well and grease it with Vasoline.

It's fun to run it through the gears with the wipers running. :D:D:D

By the way, if the inside of your wiper motor is full of pits, or if the leather on the motor paddle is cracked, the motor won't work very well, if at all.

Attached Files:

7. squirt some gun oil or WD40 into the tube where the vacuum hose attaches, hook it back up to vacuum and run it, do it a few times if necessary, should work as good as it ever will....the oil swells up the leathers for a good seal.

8. kcbeardclub

kcbeardclub
    from KCMO

The inside pitted eh? damn, need to check that out.

9. Merc cruzer

Merc cruzer
    from Colorado

I have the vacuum wipers on my 53' Merc. The system is 6 volt. The key is the double action fuel pump that provides the vacuum along with the vacuum from the carb. Pull the paddle out and put this stuff all around the edge and the top seal. Put rain-X on the windshield...lets the blade slide better.

Attached Files:

10. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

If you take it apart, be careful of the housing gasket. I don't know if new ones are available or not. I reused the paper gasket in my motor, but it was about 1978 when I rebuilt it. There was an article on rebuilding these motors in Street Rodder Magazine. The issue was in the mid - late 1970's...Don't remember what month or year. It may have been written by Pat Ganahl???

I still own my 55 and haven't touched the wiper motor since I rebuilt it in the late 1970's, and the wipers still work pretty good.

11. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

Apply some Bee's wax to the inside mechanism to hold the seal.

12. kcbeardclub

kcbeardclub
    from KCMO

Thanks again guys for your help, We'll see what I can get done.

13. 39 Ford

39 Ford

Vasoline always worked well for me when I was young, Now that I am old, electric is the only way to go.

14. petew

petew
    from Mebane, NC

Make sure your pivots are lubed up.

15. Or add a vacuum tanK (like what the "lumpy cam" guys put on ) with a non return in line valve. Also, replace any suspect lines with the correct vacuum type (Thick walled so they don't suck in and block up).

16. 36DodgeRam

36DodgeRam

They still work great in my '40 coupe. I Just add a little air tool oil every 5 or 10 years.

17. Alex D.

Alex D.
    from Hydes, MD.

If all else fails, try out Ficken Wiper Service.( http://www.wiperman.com )He rebuilt a vacuum wiper motor for my 46 Jeep and it now works great. It was money well spent.

18. They are a old antiquated system and along with the age comes deterioration.

The vacuum wipers I have taken apart are gummed up with old hard grease,,I have cleaned them out and made new seals and I also used bees wax to reseal.

They worked about as good as you can expect for vacuum wipers,,just carry a bottle of rain-X,,works much better if you use it. HRP

19. 42merc

42merc

D. Ficken Wiper Service in NJ rebuilt the motor on my '40 Ford, about as good as it gets for a vacuum motor.

20. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

you want to keep your chevy all stock and you're on this forum? changes are good and safer

21. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

I just went through this on my 58 Chevrolet. I disassembled the motor housing and used lubriplate (white) grease to soften the leather on the paddle. Also there was a 1 inch coated fiber washer on one side of the paddle. This washer seals off the vacuum port and causes the paddle to reverse direction(cycle). I coated this washer with some brush on rubber that is used to repair the insulation on electric wires. It is available at auto and trailer/farm stores. Anyway mine now work as good as they did new. I used rain-x also. Good Luck, Sam

Attached Files:

22. kcbeardclub

kcbeardclub
    from KCMO

Do you know of a good 6 volt motor?

23. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Go find a 50-55 Chrysler products 6V wiper motor. Or find a 6V motor from a VW. Those are the 6V motors I can recall.

You can use a mini van or SUV rear wiper motor, but will have to use a step up voltage converter that can handle that current.

24. SquireDon

SquireDon
    from Oregon

25. 54Buick48D

54Buick48D
    from Maryland

Did you check the vacuum that is supplying the motor? As other said, there is a paddle inside with a gasket. This gasket gets dry and worn. It is a very simple unit to open, clean and lube. But again, all that is for naught if the vacuum supplying it is not there.

26. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
  27. 1931modela

1931modela
    from montana

I have on on my 53 m-37, I rebuilt it and lubed the crap outa it. Works great. Wish you luck

28. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He's got a nice fleetline...skirts...looks slightly lowered in the rear maybe...a little pinstriping...he's rebuilt the front suspension himself, etc. Give 'im a chance.

KC, the vacuum wiper should work pretty darned good if it's up to snuff...especially with the combo fuel/vac pump. That is, assuming the vacuum pump is working correctly. Verify that it is or not, before tearing into the wiper motor. Make sure you're getting good vacuum. Your choice, but I wouldn't be too quick to go changing it out for an electric motor. I actually like the old vacuum wiper motors if they're working well. They help an old car retain some of its vintage personality...even if the drivetrain and stuff has been updated.

Verify that the vacuum pump is really working first, and that the vacuum line is in good condition. Then start with the motor by force-feeding it some WD40. Connect a good vacuum hose to it and add a small hose clamp to keep the hose from coming off and making a mess. Squirt a fair amount of WD40 into the hose, then introduce some low-level compressed air while manually moving the wipers back and forth. Then hook the wipers to the vacuum pump again and give 'em a try. Move the wipers back and forth by hand to give 'em a little help at first. You might find that they'll get stronger after a bit. If this doesn't work, then you might have to disassemble the motor for service and do what the other guys are saying. Or you might consider getting a good working original for a replacement. Another thought: Make sure the speed control isn't leaking. If it is, you should hear some hissing. Good luck.

29. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

I have a vacuum reservoir up under my dash, I believe its from a GM car. The manifold vacuum line attaches to it and the wiper motor feeds from the can. the can has a check valve so It usually has some vacuum in it when I use the car regularly. I can get about a dozen to 15 passes on the can, by that time, I am usually up the hill or off the gas. Also check the glass if its got a lot of road scum on it, cleaning it real well will reduce the drag of the rubber against the glass. Go to the detergent section of the grocery store and look i the cleanser area for Bon Ami cleanser gold container, or Bar Keepers friend, red and blue can. these are both feldspar based not silica, will not scratch the class. wet down the windshield, wet a pad or towel, sprinkle the cleaer on the cloth ad use ti like rubbing compound of the glass. It will get the road grim off, polish the surface and make you wiper blades more effective. If you cant find one of thee two DO NOT USE ANOTHER product as they will scratch the glass. And as mentioned a little WD 40 or penetrating oil in the line will help the diaphragm and valves more efficient.

30. ems customer service

ems customer service

i switched my from vac to the 6volt electric from " the filling station" works great, easy install and now i have wiper that work in the rain