Register now to get rid of these ads!

Muncie 4 speed reverse light HELP

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by newstranger, Jul 15, 2013.

1. newstranger

newstranger

Hello HAMBers, at some point in my 62 Imapla SS's history somebody pulled the Powerglide out and put a Muncie 4 speed in (I'd love to shake that guy's hand!). I'm about to pull out ALL the sketchy, spaghetti-mess wiring that has accumulated over the years and re-wire it from front to back. During this process I'd LOVE to hook up the reverse light assembly... I'm not really sure how to proceed (since it was originally an automatic tranny). Anybody dealt with this issue in the past? It might be a simple process. Muncie guys?

THANKS

-ns

2. jjflash67

jjflash67
    from Ohio

Check with the Chevy parts guys , ie OPG Classic Chevy, etc. Most have the swith, bracket, etc. you'll need

3. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

You will have to get the switch that mounts to the tranny then you need to run the wires from the switch harness under the dash that would be on the bottom of the streeing colume and route it to the switch on the tranny.

4. newstranger

newstranger

Thanks guys, looks like I have a bit of digging to do!

5. rfraze

rfraze

In the simplest form, the reverse switch gets power from a fused source and when in reverse the switch is closed passing power to a wire that feeds both back-up bulbs.

6. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Almost any GM resto parts place will have the switch. Are you using an after market harness? If so order one for a 4 speed car and the wires should be in the new harness to connect it. If your doin it yourself just drop a couple wires to the switch.

7. hoop98

hoop98
    from Texas

8. Hren59

Hren59

I put one in for a guy recently. The switch came from one of those restoration catalogs, year one or something like that. I ended up making a new bracket for it b/c it was really flimsy. Other than that it was pretty easy to fit and wire as the previous posters have described

9. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Thanks for the pic hoop98. Maybe I'll rig up a reverse light for my coupe.

10. badlefihand

badlefihand

summit has the hurst backup switch. $25.00 or so,I used it

11. newstranger

newstranger

Great picture Hoop, that might come in real handy!

12. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Bingo, that's the one. I see this one is a home done version but that's how Hurst does it with there Back Up Light Kit. Bracket attach's via the limit stop bolt.