Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Is this bad?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrod54chevy, Jul 14, 2013.

1. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

So my father-in-law and I were taking off my Chevy's tires and I crawled under to snap some reference pictures in case I decide to buy parts later and need to see what I have. My concern is this part where the tie rod end meets the knuckle (?) and I wanted to address it. It's a Mustang II manual rack and I'd been thinking about going with a power rack and I'd been told I could reuse my tie rod ends. So I looked at them and the driver's side one has me worried. Do I need to replace it? Thanks in advance, guys!

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1373854628.420441.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1373854652.515166.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Tie rod ends are not expensive,,,replace them. HRP

3. F&J

F&J

It took me 3 minutes to see what you are talking about.

The M2 setup dropped in the weeds, has the tie rod bent by the sway bar.

Send the car to a good shop with a lift, and look every inch of that front end over real good. Bad ball joints, cracked A arms, cracks on lower A arm mounting areas.

4. I also noticed that it appears the arms on the rack and pinion are hitting the sway bar. HRP

5. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

F&J, until I put bags on it, I can't get it on a lift! 4 inch blocks, and I've tried. And I'm not taking the blocks out just to let some guy look at it. It's on stands now and I figured I'd look at it. It hasn't driven badly at all, I just thought I'd post this up and ask if I should be concerned. Thanks.

6. ionaetp

ionaetp
    BANNED
    from new york

It took me 3 minutes to see what you are talking about.

7. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

If you change racks, the bent arm will be replaced with the new rack. 1" longer sway bar end links might take care of the interference that bent the old rack arms. I would replace the tie rod ends just because that one took a pretty good hit and they are cheap.

Blue

8. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

Thanks, guys! I was looking at replacing it with a T-bird rack and seeing what all else I have to worry about! How much are tie rod ends usually? Should I go for longer ones? Thanks!!

9. I'd fix the root cause of the problem, and replace the bent part.

10. F&J

F&J

Yes you need to be concerned. If that rack is hitting the sway bar, apparently the suspension is not riding at the height it was designed for. That increases angles on ball joints for one thing, and a "cramped" joint can wear quickly and can fall apart on the road....if it really is cramped. Can't tell by pics if it is or isn't.

Any time a setup is stressed, you need to look at every possible nook to make sure there are no cracks forming.

These can be unsafe front ends in some cases; meaning ones not built with "correct" balljoints, or inferior arms, and or mounting points. Not to mention the ones that the ride height is very wrong.

11. Forget that layin frame bullshit and get the car up to a safe ride height....steering arms hitting sway bars is not something conducive to staying alive a long time....

12. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

Chopolds, the car doesn't lay frame. Like I said, it has a Mustang II front end and 4 inch blocks in the back. I'm only planning on putting bags on it to raise it up for a better ride, not drop it down lower. I haven't done anything to the front suspension. That was the previous owner over 10 years ago. I'm just updating/fixing what needs done.

13. AlbuqF-1

AlbuqF-1
    from NM

You'll just bend the new rack unless you change the sway bar in relation to the tie rod. If you can take it to a place with a pit (Jiffy Lube?) so you can see the tie rod with the suspension loaded, you'll be able to see what your clearance is. Drive carefully!

14. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Looks like to me the inner tie rod is bent not the rack. Blue 49 got it longer sway bar links. And replace the tie rods inner and outter.

15. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

Well, if I get a new rack it wouldn't have outer tie rods. Think longer ones would do the trick?

16. badshifter

badshifter

Your sway is bent to hell too. Looks like the car has been jacked up by it more than once.
    Replace sway bar, rack, tie rod ends and lengthen the sway bar links so they don't hit the steering. If you look at the tie rod jam nut, it's being worn away by the sway bar.

17. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

No longer tie rods will not fix it the sway bar is the problem needs to be moved away from the tie rods.

18. AlbuqF-1

AlbuqF-1
    from NM

I assume he meant longer end links, which may or may not fix the problem.

19. sunbeam

sunbeam

My old single post stands up a little high so I use a couple of 2x10 to drive on when cars are to low.

20. Crafty

Crafty
    from UK

Looks to me like you need to ditch that sway bar and replace with one that isn't going to foul, then replace the tie rods & ends before about thinking of adding anything else.

I know TCI do a sway bar that fits to the rear of the crossmember, which would mean it'd be right out of the way.

21. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd have to agree that the tweaked sway bar is the majority of your problem. Along with someone using it to jack the car up instead of putting the jack under the crossmember or using a bottle jack to lift the car high enough to get a floor jack under the crossmember or as was mentioned before running the car up on 2x boards to get it high enough to put a jack under it.

If everything right with the sway bar there should be no possible way that the tie rods would hit it. I'd look on the top side of the sway bar to make sure it isn't hitting on the frame and causing it to flex enough so that the tie rod hits it.

22. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Your sway bar has been deformed, and is now all cock-eyed, leading to the interference and deformation of the tie rod when the wheel hit a bump. Replace that sway bar, it's mounting bushings (including it's mounts to the frame), links, and the tie rod ends. None of this is expensive, so don't try to re-use any of it. My $0.02.

23. It is a rack car - they don't have Inner tie rods in the traditional sense - they don't have a tie rod end on them. They have pivot ball that generally rides in a Nylon socket or cup. His is definitely bent and needs to be replaced, which probably means a new rack.

I can't help but wonder if the short little sway bar links were used because the sway bar would hit the frame otherwise. The bar is so bent to hell that it has to be sorted out first.

OP - can you show a picture from underneath with the car sitting on the ground. that would really help to know what is going on.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
  24. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

I've been looking at my picture wondering what happened to my sway bar and the bent crossmember above it when it came to me. Once I was driving and the brakes went out. I drove over a curb to avoid rear ending the car ahead of me. At the time, I seem to only remember a dent on a corner of the crossmember, nothing wrong with the sway bar, but that was years ago and I'm looking at it now.

Mustang IIs HAVE inner tie rod ends as well as outer ones, and they do sell them, but the clips for the inner ones aren't reusable and a new rack (which I'm in the market for anyway since I'm upgrading to power steering) will come with new inner tie rod ends.

So it looks like a new sway bar, bushings and tie rod ends are on my shopping list along with a new rack. If I get the wheels back on it tonight I'll try to snap some pictures. Thanks, everyone.

25. upspirate

upspirate

One other thing, I replaced a power M-II rack with a manual one....the shaft stub going to the column is a different length, and I had to make a new connector shaft/joint to fit

26. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

Yeah, the guy who suggested a T-bird rack also mentioned it'd be different.

27. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

Took a few more pictures. The sway bar isn't hitting with the car at ride height. I was thinking about going to dropped spindles for another 2 inch drop. I shouldn't be into the scrub line by then, should I? ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1375461657.714964.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1375461675.129617.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1375461692.247001.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1375461710.832069.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1375461733.697621.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1375461761.647797.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1375461780.198366.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1375461797.364958.jpg

28. Crafty

Crafty
    from UK

Both sides look bent to me.
    At the very least you need to buy new tie rods.
    I still think you need to re-locate the sway bar.

Personally I'd do this before buying new spindles.

29. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

I'll be switching the tie rods and the whole rack when I switch to power steering. I'm not worried about the tie rods right now. The car steers fine. I wouldn't even be going to power steering if parking weren't so bad.

30. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Both ends look bent, and the car does not need 2" more of drop.