Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bumper Boys chrome NFG

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by joburnsjo, Jul 14, 2013.

1. joburnsjo

joburnsjo

Got bumpers for 67 GTX from bumper boys spring carlisle installed them last week chrome pealed off around bolt holes and they will not stand behind them said they weren't insalled soon enough????? FTF doe's that have to do wil the chrome sticking to the bumper Let's spread the word about their poor buisness practice's
    Thanks

2. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Their chrome has been known as junk since at least the mid 1990s. Google is your friend.

3. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

A buddy got screwed by them 10 years ago. Stay away from them.

4. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

mine held up good , but the car was not a daily driver
    67 cars are not serviced here

5. bbc 1957 gasser

bbc 1957 gasser

6. Screwed is screwed regardless of year. HRP

7. C-10 CST

C-10 CST
    from Indy

They did bumpers on my 49 Fleetline, a year and a half later they still look great.

8. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

My buddy had some bumpers done for his 36 by them and his dash waterfall. The rear of the waterfall looked better than the front, the front looked like it had been sanded with 80 grit!. The bumpers were still tweaked a bit and they didn't even bother welding up the crack in one....

9. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Sad news I would give my left nut for a 67 GTX. When you tightened the bolts down it probably distorted the bumper and then the chrome started to pill from the stretch.

10. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

11. historynw

historynw

I went through 3 smoothie bumpers with them on my 47 Chevy, chrome peeled off on the corners......I won't buy from them again. I sent the last one out to Sandy's in Syracusw for chroming they got it right....unfortunately the front one has a peel on it now too. BB gave me the Bs line about plastic washers, etc. When I told them they never supplied them they gave me a new bumper.

12. My Bumper Boys bumpers are not show quality, but the chrome is still intact after about 12 years or more. Quality not bad for the price, imho.

13. years ago i bought a rear bumper for my 65 awb car from them and it was good. about five years ago i tried to buy one for my sons 69 super bee. it was horrible. they never stripped the crap off the inside surface area. they sprayed silver paint over the inside surface. when i questioned them about it they said chrome is too expensive now to plate the inside. such b.s. never again will i use them. they did give me my money back.

14. I thought chrome was a dip process, how do you dip just the outside of a piece? ...

15. 1941coupe

1941coupe

exchanged a 49 ply bumper ,mounted and waxed 3 months a 3 inch rash appeared, car always garaged bad news stay far far away

16. 5window

5window

I've watched them at shows and thought, "these guys seem way to slick". A qucik HAMB search and you'd find way more negatives than positives. Sorry about your experience. It's not just the shoddy work, it's the lack of care afetr the sale that's most telling. Good luck.

17. Jimv

Jimv

I never used them but i have seen people arguing with them at shows& I have never heard anything good about them.
    JimV

18. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

19. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So many car folk think this, that it's a "dip" process. Galvanizing is a dip (or spray) process, but chrome is an electrolytic affair. Negative on the bumper, positive on the solid chromium anode. They both sit in an acid type solution and as the chromium "dissolves" in the bath the current attracts it to the bumper. If you could remove only the layer of chrome and held it up to the sun you could see right through it. Copper and nickel are applied the same way, where the copper is a filler (think primer) that gets polished, the nickel is a bright base for inspection which can also be spot polished before chrome is applied. There's also a softer industrial nickel that can be polished in lieu of using copper, then a bright nickel applied, again to check the part.

For the plating experts here, I admit to my grossly over simplified explanation, and as to what brought this on, someone was fed a line of bullshit that it's too expensive to put chrome on the back side. Generally speaking, polished back sides of bumpers can look really dumb on most cars. Packard painted the backs of theirs silver for several years, then black as standard or chassis color when customers selected something other than black for their frames. It looks really nice when done, the back of the bumper in chassis color, on most 30s cars.

20. I must be thinking of "chrome" plastic parts.

Either way, the thing sits in a tank collecting a coating, right? How do you only coat part of it and not all of it?

21. I think the guy gave me the bs line due to them not cleaning the back side. They cdipped it without cleaning then painted it to disguise the poor work.

22. I've seen those guys at the Pomona swap meet for many, many years. They sell a bunch of bumpers, but if you look at them closely, their quality is crap.

Honestly, it's very hard to find a quality chrome plating job for a reasonable price anymore. You have to pay big bucks from a reputable shop to get a nice job.

The cheap chrome shops don't spend the time prepping the part correctly. A chrome job (like a paint job) is only as good as the prep work. Dipping the part is the easiest part of the process. It's the straightening, grinding, buffing, and dozen of trips to the copper tank that drives the cost. The cheap guys are nothing but production shops where quantity is more important than quality.

23. pbr40

pbr40
    from NW Indiana

Sorry to hear! I'll pass the word "DO NOT USE"

24. Squablow

Squablow

Chrome doesn't "throw" into deep parts unless you build a tank specifically for it. Super offset wheels have to be plated in a special tank. That's why the back side of a bumper doesn't get the same amount of plating that the outside does. Chromed concave parts often have a yellowish tint in the deep part since it's hard to get plating to "throw" inside. It's a factor in all chrome plating.

Bumper Boyz are scammers. Truck a bunch of cores to Mexico, get back some cheap chrome, and as long as you price your stuff $50 cheaper than the quality guys, get lots and lots of business. Make up some BS excuses when people complain about the shitty quality. Suckers keep them in business forever without having to have repeat customers.

25. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

They were at Turkey Run last year and their stuff really didn't look all that swift, plus with the huge number of negative threads there have been on their customer service (or lack thereof) I would stay away.

Don

26. Fenders

Fenders

They were also at the South Shore swap in Franklin Mass this year.... I keep wondering why the venues even allow them to show up.

27. We around here have always called them the "Bumper Bandits".

28. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Bumpers Boyz is still terrible. In other news, water is still wet.

29. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Had a good buddy buy their bumpers for a 68 Road Runner he restored installed the bumpers on the car in the garage in the winter. Pulled the car out in spring the bumpers were dull and wouldn't polish back up. They gave him the line that he should have kept the car under a car cover! They said it was caused by the dampness in the garage? WTF is that? A car can never get wet? It's the same ole story you get what you pay for! There is a reason their bumpers are usually less expensive than others! Their process is has to save them money to sell their parts for less. Saving them money equals less quality. Advanced Plating in Tenn gets all our chrome needs not cheap bout OUTSTANDING quality!