Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage North to alaska living the dream

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bob K, Jun 22, 2013.

1. jr9162

jr9162

Oh they are up here, just gotta find em...

2. I would love that GMC for a camper!!!! Just saw Ken and Vicky on their way through here. We are going to have that same pizza tomorrow Bob, that would make the third set of HAMBers that have hit the Almost World Famous Lintz Bros Pizza!

54delray likes this.
  3. phat rat

phat rat

Is that the place we met one time?

54delray and Tman like this.
  4. Make that 4 HAMBers:eek:

54delray likes this.
  5. Buds64SS

Buds64SS
    from Canada

If your heading up Alaska hwy from Dawson Creek (Mile zero Alaska hwy) car show this weekend usually good show/lotsa cars

6. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Beautiful, thanks Bob!

7. Kramer

Kramer

Yep, Stellars Jay
    AKA Camp Robber
    If you turn your back for a half second, they will steal your food.
    By the way, thanks for letting us come along.

8. What an awesome adventure. Im very envious!!!

9. Gustavson?????

Gustavus?????

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/kb0kiiB3O-o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Wear the Fox hat

Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
  10. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

Actually it's Gustavis !!!!!!!!

B:)B

11. Leviman

Leviman

Yes they are! I met a guy today who had two of them. One in his pickup with dual carbs, split manifolds and such. And one that's going into a record holding lakester! :eek:

12. jr9162

jr9162

Oh, that's KB. I was at the club breakfast this morning. Drove the 38 Buick business coupe.

13. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

What a great photo essay Bob! I'm really enjoying your trip! Almost like being there!

14. Leviman

Leviman

Sure was. I was at the bear paw show for an hour or so. I was driving my '73 VW Super beetle. But, not to fret, there's a '31 coupe at home waiting in the wings.

15. afaulk

afaulk

Hi Guys, I just spent an enjoyable hour reading the entire thread. Great pics, thanks for sharing! I took a 6 wk road trip from Colo Spgs, Co, to Alaska back in the early 80s. It doesn't appear to have changed much. We drove the entire route in an old Ford p/u. I was tougher then LOL. Anyways, hope you're both having a blast.

16. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

We are in Anchorage, just spent an enjoyable hour washing the dirty ol car. There is a stain on the hood, prolly from drippage on the ferry boat, it'll buff right out I'm sure.

nexxussian, (Eric) has arranged a small meat & greet at a famous old time Alaskan restaurant called Gwenies at 1pm today. Can't wait to meet these guys that I have been talking with on the HAMB.

B:DB

54delray, Mr48chev, Ebbspeed and 13 others like this.
  17. NoSurf

NoSurf

mmmmm reindeer sausage......

Tman likes this.
  18. jr9162

jr9162

See you there Bob!

19. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

Damn have I ever been slacking, the last time I posted any pictures was last Saturday or so. I've got a bunch uploaded and there is some really neat shit so stand by. Here we go.

On the way to haines junction is the national Eagle Sanctuary. Unfortunatley there were no Eagles hanging around the rest stop but had to have a picture for posterity.

[​IMG]

Maggie found our honeymoon cottage, 40 years too late. Come to think of it, 40 years ago it prolly was quite the place. NOT!!!!!

[​IMG]

We are just loving these driveway decorations.

[​IMG]

So we are driving up this gravel road on the other side of the Haines river, this is one of the better parts. We get up about 10 miles and the son of a bitch dead ends.

[​IMG]

At the end of the road is a small logging road going up to a house and I says to my self, SELF, that looks familiar. Now how the hell can a house way back in the alaskan outback look familiar?

[​IMG]

Then I spot this sign and it all clicks, this is one of the gold mines in that stupid reality show on discovery or travel channel.

[​IMG]

The Big Nugget Mine, I think that this is the one that the young kid who is always running out of money owns. It's amazing what you can run into when you get off the beaten path even when the path is more like a path than a road.

The Canadian port of entry, just a few questions, looked at passport cards and we were in British Colombia for only a few miles.

[​IMG]

In a national park just a few miles up the road I saw something come out of the woods onto the roadside hill. It was the this huge black bear, his goat was glossy and shiney and he looked to be in very good health. He was out the eating the fresh grass and seemed not to care that we were snapping pictures like crazy.

[​IMG]

He was getting too close to the car, so we decided to depart hastily.

[​IMG]

Here we go out of British Colombia and into the Yukon Territory. I don't know the difference between a territory and a province but if it's any thing like the US it has to do with representation in the legislature.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Weezner get to visit Million Dollar Falls, you will notice that I am buttering him up to get a better price on the next painting that he does for us.

[​IMG]

This is the falls, not quite a million dollars but noteworthy nevertheless.

[​IMG]

Are you guy & gals ready for this one????? This to me is the most spectacular pictures we have taken so far. I told you about the black bear that walked out of the woods and was eating the grass.
    Well a few miles into the Yukon territory, out of the woods comes this magnificant creature. I don't know the difference between a Brown Bear and a Grizzly but this was a Gorgeous Animal, and like the other guy he didn't seem to care that we were there.

[​IMG]

Just a chewing on the nice fresh roadside vegitation.

[​IMG]

A pair of trumpeter swans, there are a lot of them up here, I just found out that they mate for life, like Canada Geese.

[​IMG]

I offered Maggie the oppertunity to spend the night in one of these but she gracefully declined. Yeah Right, I won't repeat what she said.

[​IMG]

I guess this is supposed to represent all of the things around Haines Junction. It was a photo oppertunity not to be missed though.

[​IMG]

I thought we had been on it but I guess that this is the main one and numbered 1, so here we are finally official.

[​IMG]

Ooops !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Got too many pictures loaded.

20. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

The ones that were supposed to be on the last post.

The scenery along the stretch between Haines Junction and Tok is outstanding and had better be as it is the worst section of the Alaska Highway according to the locals, it's full of pot holes and road construction and the dust is horrific so it's good to have some distractions.

[​IMG]

Speaking of distractions.

[​IMG]

Why do the names of these places fascinate me?

[​IMG]

Distractions, distractions, this is getting tiring, nope it ain't, we just love it, seems like there is something around every corner.

[​IMG]

I was kinda hoping that when he came up for air there would be a huge rack. No such luck though, just the nubbins of a young bull Moose.

[​IMG]

He was feeding on the vegetation on the bottom of the pond and you could see and hear the water dripping off of his head, he was only about 25 yards from shore and maybe the same distance from the road so we enjoyed a few minutes of watching him.

[​IMG]

That's better.

21. Thanks for the new pics Bob.....was starting to worry you had fallen in a creek or got eaten by a bear or something!

22. austinhunt

austinhunt

Looks like things are going well! You are welcome to stop by my garage. I can join you at the museum if you want some extra tag-alongs.

23. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Damn Bob you need to be shooting pics for National Geographic.That is some cool stuff right there.

I am feeling an Atomic Industry " A month in the life of Bob K" documentary.....

24. 32Gnu

32Gnu

Loving this Bob!!!
    Y'all have fun!!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

25. Hot Rod Nut

Hot Rod Nut

All I can say is WOW!And THANKS for the pictures.What a neat trip.

26. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's a grizzly, very cool!

27. davo461

davo461

Fantastic Bob, have you figured out where you are taking us on your next adventure?
    I reckon that this is almost as good as being there; what with the pictures and all.
    Thank you.
    Davo.

28. gc427

gc427
    from SoCal

What an amazing journey!

Thank you for sharing all of these beautiful pictures with us Bob.

Best of luck with the rest of your trip.

29. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

30. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers