Register now to get rid of these ads!

60's custom bodied show rod ***OPINION'S NEEDED**

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SaltCityCustoms, Jul 13, 2013.

1. SaltCityCustoms

SaltCityCustoms

I'm looking to start a build on a 60's style custom bodied show rod but I am on the fence about what style car to build, I have a lot of my own idea's but I am not stuck on any particular one. I thought about building a woody bodied roadster with a surfer theme or possibly something in an Ed Roth look but I don't want to do a bubble top more like a roadster or hardtop. I plan on driving the crap out of it so I need to be realistic about the ergonomics of the design. I'm looking for opinions and Ideas here, I have a few different drivetrains I would like to use I have a Model A frame and a 36 Chevy frame and I have axles. I want to show that people can build a show quality car on a tight budget and all it takes is skill so when I do the build I will list my cost of the build as I go along.

2. Zykotec

Zykotec

I love show rods, and intend to follow this when you start the build, even if there's not much to go on so far.
    If I recall right not many of the original show rods had practicality or ergonomics as a main feature, but it can surely be done, considering everything would be custom anyway.
    You will have two choices when it comes to the build, either build it after a sketch/design, and custom make everything to fit, or build a chassis that fits your intentions for the use, and then cover it as stylishly as possible, and then you can either make a body as a jigsaw puzzle of old cars (which seems to be the trend right now, especially late 50's sheetmetal) or do a full custom body. Only your skills and imagination is the limit, and as you say, it can be done on a budget as you don't need for example a pristine '32 roadster body to begin with.
    PS, I also love designing/sketching show rod style cars, both digitally and on paper ;)

3. SaltCityCustoms

SaltCityCustoms

Zykotec, If you wouldn't mind I would love to see any designs you could come up with. I would probably add my own twist or use some idea's but I like the idea of accumulating other peoples idea's into this car as I am building it not only for myself but I do plan on showing it and know people get excited when they see some of their idea's in someone else's work.

4. Zykotec

Zykotec

I could whip up some quick sketches in paintshoppro, hmm, surf style woody roadster sounds kinda fun.

5. mrjynx

mrjynx
    BANNED

Interesting thread. The world needs more custom showrods. I will be keeping my beady eye on this.

6. Sakke

Sakke
    from Finland

Buy some books like "Americas Wildest Show rods" or "Famous Custom and Show Cars" by Barris. Take a look and make your own design. Mark Moriarty has done/restored some showrods and Darryl Starbird is still building same kind of vehicles also.

7. SaltCityCustoms

SaltCityCustoms

Sakke I have looked through all the books, I have my own idea's for two different type's of cars but don't have anything nailed down yet and I just want some other people to interject their idea's so I can see where to go with my plan.

8. mrjynx

mrjynx
    BANNED

Well your posts pretty vague atm, what cars have inspired you the most? Any little bits on customs you've seen and would like to try incorporate into the build?

9. SaltCityCustoms

SaltCityCustoms

Yep its kinda of vague in my head too that's why I came here but the cars that have inspired me are the Manta Ray by John Burness and the more popular Manta ray from Dean Jeffries, also Casper's Ghost from Carl Casper and the X-ray from Ray Farhner just to name a few.

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just start sketching. That's what I do. I love show-rods. I have one, in-progress, but in-storage, until things get better.

11. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

You could try out different ideas in drawings and if you come up with something good, make a model first.

I know Roth, Barris, Winfield, Starbird and those guys usually started with drawings and possibly a model.

12. The37Kid

The37Kid

Post some photos of what you think are good looking "Show Rods" then we can come back with an opinion. Bob

13. papajohn

papajohn

How about something like this?
    1373761812816.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

14. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

I love the show rods and think you should build one, but IMHO asking for group advice is the wrong way to start. Too many cooks in the kitchen kinda deal. Start sketching ideas, jut rough lines at first, and after you have a rough shape you like start refining the drawing with more details and such.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

15. indyjps

indyjps

a-symmetrical would make the parts hunt easy, you only need to find one of anything. I think for a 60's show rod a roadster would be best.

16. Zykotec

Zykotec

Couldn't help but starting a quick sketch as I had nothing better to do right now :p
    It's really rough, and vacation is starting, so not gonna get much else done for the next few weeks, but at least some shapes :p
    And as people say here, knowing more about your ideas and inspiration, and offcourse if you prefer sheetmetal or fiberglass would help a lot.
    [​IMG]

17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

18. SaltCityCustoms

SaltCityCustoms

These are some that I mentioned.

Attached Files:

19. SaltCityCustoms

SaltCityCustoms

Zykotec I plan on either fiberglass or metal, I'm a damn good metal fabber so you can go as crazy as you want. I like the look you have going on with that but maybe a crazier front end and maybe see if you can add some "woodieness" to it. as far as Motors I have a mildly built Buick 430 motor or a decently souped up 283 that I plan using.

20. Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
  21. Deuces

Deuces

Or, how about a '53 F-100 pick'em up truck???...

22. SaltCityCustoms

SaltCityCustoms

That's it thats what I'm looking for!!:)

23. Zykotec

Zykotec

Couldn't quite let it go, so spent a couple hours more on it.
    @gimpyshotrods, if only you've seen what kids today can do with photoshop, on OT cars...
    [​IMG]

24. slammed

slammed

An Uncertain-T Woodie. Make the motor period perfect. No 'tree fi'dy chubbie motor. Skip the bubble tops, many have been done lately. BUT, make it a driver.....

25. Sakke

Sakke
    from Finland

I really like Fahrner`s Xray. It would be great to see new design with that direction.

26. mrjynx

mrjynx
    BANNED

27. SaltCityCustoms

SaltCityCustoms