Register now to get rid of these ads!

Any Pontiac guys? Thinking Pontiac 428 in Model A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GetSome, Jun 17, 2013.

1. It doesn't take much for a Pontiac to kick ass. I have a rebuilt $999 400 2 bb block with #16 heads that are non ported built in 1991. It runs 12.5s all day on pump gas , has a 0-60ft in 1.6 seconds and does 0-60 mph in 3.8 seconds in a 3810 lb race weight car. It can sit in traffic in the dead of summer and never get past 175 degrees. If my 36 didn't have a low mileage 351 Windsor, I'd drop one of my 455 4 bolt Pontiacs in it. Or if my 1929 Whippet didn't have a Desoto Hemi fresh 0 mile engine in it, it would have a Pontiac in it!!!. Pontiacs kick ass!!

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  2. The arm is based on the one from chris casny's mopar cowl steering tech. I used a ross box outa 50 stude

3. GetSome

GetSome

Interesting, I've got to say......wicked cool Rod man! Modified with a Pontiac and you didn't even do the whole big and little tire thing.....at least not overkill on the size difference. I'll be running same size tires all the way around on mine.....I'll have to post some pics!
    .....As far as Pontiac kickin ass, I highly agree! I think Pontiac is very underrated....421 SD was just flat bad ass!!! I love the 1961 Catalina's....dream car of mine!

4. I figured it waighs under 2k &700 of its pontiac. The fronts are 600\16 the rears are 700/16. Thanks for the compliments its a fun lil car

5. GetSome

GetSome

I thought Pontiac was heavy, from what I've read about 40lbs lighter than a BBC.
    I gotta ask, you running a suicide front end? That's the thing with mine, going suicide with spring perches through the wishbones....running 35-36 rear bones & trying to figure out how to run a torque arm or some other link to strengthen the rear without going into the body/floorboard too much.

6. How about this 347 in a T Model Ford Modified? 21 TT frame and 27 cowl. I'm in the UK so not an easy build....

[​IMG]

7. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Can't find the picture now but Jerry Burger (started Rodders Digest) had a 389/421 Poncho in his model A back in the early 70's.

Pat

8. GetSome

GetSome

Woah! Buildin that in the UK! That thing would turn some heads here, let alone across the pond! Awesome!!!!!

9. hellerods

hellerods

I can't remember the cu.in.(370??) early Poncho in this rod at the Pismo Car show in 08', the car was built many years ago and the guy said that he was from the Bay area and drove the car everywhere. This car was very cool and the guy that was the builder/owner was very nice and easy to talk to------------ this car was flat out COOL !!!!!!!!!!!

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 and brut4s like this.
  10. Thats motor & trans. Yep suicide front but I have 40 split bones. Welder series has a spring beind batwing kit. & on the torque arm depending on the rear some can be mounted fairly low.

11. GetSome

GetSome

Here's a pic of it so far!

Attached Files:

12. That looks like a good start. Are ya going to put a bed back there?

13. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

The 39 Deluxe that I built in the mid 70's had a 400 Pontiac and 400TH in it. It was always a very reliable car. An orginazation that I belonged to in the 80's spo nsored nostalgia drags, and the car ran in the low 14's. All the engine had was a ram air IV cam, and some mild porting on the heads. Sometimes I wish I had that car back

14. GetSome

GetSome

Not running a bed on it, nothin but a gas tank back there!

15. GetSome

GetSome

That's awesome! Those 400's are great motors, underrated for sure! I believe it was Jim Mino that used to race a Firebird 400 Ram Air in a stock class and he stomped everyone in that car! Of course Arnie Beswick as well, killer Pontiac drivers!

16. dubcee

dubcee

17. dubcee

dubcee

18. dubcee

dubcee

6 in recess in the fire wall, a little trickey in the steering bits, had to clearance the frame for the manifolds, I wouldnt have it any other way!

19. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

428 is hard to find ...good job

20. you don't want that 428 sell it to me....I have SBC in the garage for you.. LOL

21. I built a 370 Pontiac [1957, 347, bored .125"] for my 34 ford coupe...uses a '59 bellhousing with a T-5 transmission. Not yet together.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 and brut4s like this.
  22. GetSome

GetSome

Awesome cars Dubcee & Rocky! A car with fenders for once! ....and the 34 is about the only other car that makes me want to build another Hot Rod! One is more than enough for my mind & wallet to handle!

23. dubcee

dubcee

Thank you! I figured if I put fenders on it I would be at least 3 years ahead of the next curve!

24. GetSome

GetSome

Mine has fenders too, they're just see-thru....just like the hood and bed :D
    Trying to figure out my front end ride height right now, I don't know if the stock spring is going to get me low enough....even with my spring perch through wishbones, death trap suicide front end....thinking I might buy a reverse eye, maybe even mono-leaf.
    I even have the flat front crossmember by JW Hot Rod Garage, still seems high to me....I want to sit a couple inches above my scrub line when it's all said and done.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
  25. It doesn't take much for a Pontiac to kick ass. I have a rebuilt $999 400 2 bb block with #16 heads that are non ported built in 1991. It runs 12.5s all day on pump gas , has a 0-60ft in 1.6 seconds and does 0-60 mph in 3.8 seconds in a 3810 race weight car. It can sit in traffic in the dead of summer and never get past 175 degrees. If my 36 didn't have a low mileage 351 Windsor, I'd drop one of my 455 4 bolt Pontiacs in it. Or if my 1929 Whippet didn't have a Desoto Hemi fresh 0 mile engine in it, it would have a Pontiac in it!!!. Pontiacs kick ass!!

darn it ! I wish my 62 Bonneville Safari would run that cold... running a 70/71 pontiac 400 with Edelbrock carb and Pro-comp distr... flex fan, 195 t-stat(hoping it would slow flow down) I did find a factory fan shroad I'm going to install. That 62 Wagon sure moves out ! LOL

26. I was thinking of puttin a a pontiac 400 in a tri five chevy. The starter location would be a problem so i was thinking a camaro firebird subframe clip would be the way to go, You get power steerin & disk brakes and hedders wouldnt be a problem. However There is another thread about swapping a SBC chevy into a 55 ford. Anyway the Y block lovers lamented so much ive decided instead to frame clip my 55 ford and put in the pontiac mill. My pontiac stick bellhousing is dual pattern and bolt to a ford trans. Those pontiacs look wicked with a tri power setup. I ve subframed quite a few vehicles and they all drove and handled excellent. The OP might consider a subframe graft.

27. in2hotrodz

in2hotrodz
    from Spiro, OK

Throw me in the mix. I'm gathering parts (about 80% there) and getting ready to build a '37 Chevy truck with a 400 Pontiac. It's going to be pretty rowdy with lots of head work and dual quads. It's actually going to be a nicer engine than what's been in my Trans-Am the last 15 years. This is going to be a real hot rod, I've already got the spokes for the front and Torque Thrusts with Towel City cheaters for the back. It should scoot pretty good too with real-deal ladder bars and coil-overs from Chassis Engineering in the rear, 9" axle, 3.70's with a Detroit Locker too.

28. Lukcarnut

Lukcarnut
    from California

Fckin Cool pic

29. GetSome

GetSome

Well, I went to find the Pontiac at my brothers old machine shop and it turns out it's a 400 block with a crank that makes it a 428??? What crank would that be??? It's been a few years since we've even looked at the stuff and it's kinda hard for us to remember the specs....they have a 428 block in the shop they said I could use if I want as well though, if it works with my internals.
    I'm not an engine/technical guru....so forgive me....I just kinda turn bolts and weld stuff.

30. SOLO

SOLO

Kinda late response to this. But here is a couple pics of my 31. 421/5sp and 57 rearend. Different for sure. Pontiac power rules!

Attached Files:

brut4s likes this.