Register now to get rid of these ads!

292 got scammed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by miltos68, Jul 14, 2013.

1. miltos68

miltos68
    from sacramento

the 292 I bought showed up this weekend, that was advertised at "only 50,000 miles".I pulled the head and it looks more like 250,000 miles!! there are the common cracks on the rear of the head and what looks like a possible crack in one of the cylinder walls? maybe its just somthing that would clean up with a bore? seller will not return my calls. if I were a little more financially set then it would be more pride than what I am dealing with now. this was supossed to go into a daily driver that has a quickly failing 235. I know a 292 is a big swap but it was going to set the car up for the future when we are a two income family again. enough of the pitty party!! I just hate people who walk a path on the far side of ethics for self gain! but here is the question can i repair this? will it create oil intrusion to the cooling system? is it worth repairing? are the take off parts worth the $400 price of admission? does anyone know where to get a resonably priced 292 shortblock that is sound and stood behind? thanks guys.

2. miltos68

miltos68
    from sacramento

I mean the cracks on the block driver and passanger rear by coolant passage and head bolts.

3. that does suck.....but did you here it run before you bought it?

i consider ANY motor a core for rebuilding if i do not here it run,drive it and pull it myself.....regardless of what the seller says.

4. miltos68

miltos68
    from sacramento

no, it was pulled already.. buyer beware. fool me once.

5. yes...it's a tough lesson, but now you know. we have all been there

i always wonder about used engines for sale where the seller claims "it ran good when pulled out"...if it was so damn good why did he pull it?

6. Maybe 50 thousand on a y-block looks like what you got .... normal use and normal maintenance and American engines from back in the day seldom hit 100k without a rebuild.

7. Truckedup

Truckedup

I been told that 292's might get cracks near head bolt holes.......
    I got fucked on a 261 Chevy a few years ago.Crank was junk due to the damper being loose.Pistons stuck ,deep rust pits.Main cap was cracked....I should have scrapped it but I managed to save the engine after spending stupid money.

8. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

That sounds like it was low milage any time I call the salvage yard thay tell me 76.000 miles. Sounds like a trip to the machine shop.

9. miltos68

miltos68
    from sacramento

is this a crack that can or should be repaired? is it stupid money to repair? short blocks from 12 bolt are like 2500$$$$$$. way out of my league. but a couple more purchases like this and I'll be knocking on it's back door.

10. miltos68

miltos68
    from sacramento

thumbs up!! someimes you just can't wait for karma to do it's thing.

11. dano1930

dano1930

Im suprised it wasent advertised as a 312 haha, If it were me id buy another 292 core or 272 and try make a good one of the two, theyre cheap and plentiful, take the best of the two engines and freshen up the block and heads, valve job, polish crank, new rings bearings, you should be good y blocks are really interchangable and reliable once theyre up and going, my .02

12. Single minded engine guys I see. He is talking an INLINE Chevy:p;):D

Tim will love me for this one, you can tell a Yblock guy, you just can't tell him much!:D:eek:

13. miltos68

miltos68
    from sacramento

so are these head bolts to cooling passsage cracks equal junk?

14. ol fueler

ol fueler

I was thinking about the same thing, but you beat me to it.

15. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

Yea it's buyer beware for sure on Ford Yblocks, I've done my share. I think there are more 312's out there now than we're ever made if you believe the sellers bs. Last 272 I bought for a project had a nice paint job on it to cover the crack on the side of the block. I was able to save that one because the crack was on the outside. It did have "G" heads & 1.54 rockers on it so it wasn't a total loss.

16. hobbyjp

hobbyjp
    from socal

As someone that buys and sells a lot of old car parts and engines, ill say that you get what you pay for and anytime you buy something used the first thing you should ask yourself is why is it being sold for said amount or why is it no longer in use. You should have no expectation that a 400 dollar engine is going to be drop in ready, a good running engine runs about a about a grand. Those 250/292 chevys do crack a lot in the heads and block, usually due to someone over torquing the front bolts by the water pump. If I was in your boat I would look for another cheap 292 and swap parts until you have a good engine. What alls wrong with your 235? You can get new bearings and gaskets pretty cheap compared to everything that's needed to swap in the 292. post some picks of your cracks, I've run cracked blocks before it all depends on where the crack is.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

17. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

^^this.

18. it's been a long hot day...i thought he was talking about a 292 ford Y-block too , and not an inline Chevy six

no matter....i stand by what i said

19. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

daily driver? drop in a 283

20. BOBCRMAN

BOBCRMAN
    from Holly

FIRST.. Take the block and have it cleaned/magnafluxed.

I know that costs $$$ but then you will know for sure what can be used.. No use guessing and wasting money on bad.

Cost to repair cracked cast iron correctly can cost big dollars. I work with this stuff every day.

A customer brought in an engine for his 66 Mustang last week. Like you, the CL seller lady said it was from a 66 Mustang and only had 50,000 miles on a complete rebuild.

What he got was a completely rusted up. Water standing in three cylinders for many years, 150 thou plus mile... 78 351 Windsor.. He said fix it.

Luckily no cracks. Had to replace all the guides, valves and springs. Cut the heads .020" Deck and bore block .060" to clean up rust. Grind crank and re-size rods.

Just under $2000.00 in my machine labor and parts..Plus he has to assemble it.. Then fit a wide engine in a Mustang.

So much for those "rebuilt" engines.. When I was buying cores. Any completes coming in that had the head and pan on them were $35.-50.00 TOPS.. Heard it all...but bought hundreds of engines..:eek:

21. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

Too bad ...I hate to see people get taken.

22. Fenders

Fenders

A few years ago I bought a 55 Desoto.... I started the 291 hemi, heard it run before I pulled it, sold off the other parts of the car (it was rough) -- I'm saving the hemi for my next rod... but if I sell it I will say it ran when pulled and price it accordingly, and if you don't believe me just step aside for the next buyer.

23. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I guess I am just too old but to me a 400 dollar motor should be a drop in and go,I bought many for 50 dollars that ran great for years but how the times have changed.

24. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Go buy 392 stuff, man that was expensive and similar results...... :(:(:(:(

25. miltos68

miltos68
    from sacramento

i'll try and upload more photos

Attached Files:

• 026.jpg
      026.jpg
      File size:
      397.7 KB
      Views:
  26. miltos68

miltos68
    from sacramento

he contacted me and is sending me all paperwork from that motor and the two prior owners and the the rebuild paperwork when the motor had 125k on it 50k ago. he swears it ran supurb just wanted a v8.

Attached Files:

• 031.jpg
      031.jpg
      File size:
      380.8 KB
      Views:
  27. miltos68

miltos68
    from sacramento

maybe this shows the crack better.

28. miltos68

miltos68
    from sacramento

upload damn it!!

29. miltos68

miltos68
    from sacramento

maybe this time

Attached Files:

• 030.jpg
      030.jpg
      File size:
      322.4 KB
      Views:
  30. raidmagic

raidmagic

Like has been said already in this thread. Bring it to your local machine shop and get it checked out.
    It will cost a $100 or so to have it checked out but then you will know what you have and what you can do. No sense in guessing what you have.