Register now to get rid of these ads!

B&M style hydrostick shifter question.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Koz, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Koz

Koz

I want to build an early B&M style shifter for my slant pan Hydro, (not a manual valve body trans). I was planning on tying the 324 to a '39 box until I found out how cool the early Hydros are. In keeping with the late '50's look I want to kinda' look like the old skinny stick shifter. I don't think I'll be able to use any commercially available modified unit but I have no problem snagging parts and adapting them to the cause. I love the old sidestepped gate for the four speed but I need to accommodate a reverse function and a neutral safety switch.

Anybody have any pics of an original that I can use for concept or any that you built and I might be able to plagerize? Word to the wise.... I'm more than a little creative!

Thanks guys!

2. BigJim394

BigJim394

3. Danger Diaz

Danger Diaz

I have one laying around, let me know if you still need pictures.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. Hud I

Hud I
    from Tennessee

Contact PaceRacer 50 here on the forum. He makes a shifter of the hydro. Hud

5. Darkharts

Darkharts
    from Corona

some shots from previous post- simple in design, the hard part is making it safe and dependable. Your slant pan also makes it fun for the bracket since it will be rotated over.

good luck

Attached Files:

6. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

B&M made a few different shifters, actually. They mostly revolved around these options:

--flat pan or slant pan
    --street gooseneck style or gated competition style

I sold my old vintage B&M catalogs, or I'd look more specific info up for you.

7. jimmy1931

jimmy1931

Old Ansen shifter modified, no lockout but neutral safety switch even though on a clutch turbo car.

Attached Files:

• 84.jpg
      84.jpg
      File size:
      88.4 KB
      Views:
  8. It isn't for sale by chance, is it? :)

9. Danger Diaz

Danger Diaz

Speedy Canuck, it's in the classifieds. I remember once selling you a hurst hydro shifter?! I'll give you a repeat customer discount.

Posted using the H.A.M.B. App!

10. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I had experience with a few of the B&M Hydro-Sticks. There were some with that 'question mark' shaped stick, looked like Ansen "Pos-a-Shift". (cheaper types)

The actual Hydro Stick had a heavy cane, 11/16" dia.; the Hi Perf ones were all straight 38" with a 5 degree bend down low...Looked like a straightened LaSalle.

They had a heavy gate, unlike some of the stuff B&M has succombed to offering lately.

My bud bought a B&M linkage for his '55 F100, for me to install (351 Cleveland w/C-6)
    I threw most pieces in the garbage. Thin flash-chrome, guess where it was made...
    I cut some 3/16" plate, filed and shaped, ended up with a nice linkage.
    Oh, the stick was a joke. So I welded a stick from a '54 F-600 heavy 5-speed, (not chrome) hard, tapered, and strong. Looked sharp, too.

More than a couple of hours went into it, but worth it.

11. Yep. I bought a Hurst Hydro/Gate off you a few years back. Still have it sitting in a box next to one of my Hydro transmissions.

I'll PM you about the Hydro Stick...

12. saboo3

saboo3

Guys I have installed a 54 olds B & M slant pan hydro in my 56 chevy was lucky to have bell and a hurst hydro gate shifter. two questions, car will not down shift when I slow down only has twice on two different rides and then only one down shift, which then causes the motor to stall. Need help there, is this just an adjustment of the linkage from the carb? Also I sure would feel better if I could put a cooler on this thing, is there a preferred way to do this? Would like any help you can give want to run the heck out of this thing. thanks much mike

13. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

You need to check the TV rod adjustment. This is the rod from Carb linkage to side of hydro. It should track the carb linkage, with the rod all the way to the back of the TV lever travel on transmission when at idle. WOT should have the TV lever go past the detent (hard area of travel) and stop at the front most travel. Try getting that adjusted, then drive. My guess is that the TV rod is too short and not going all the way back at idle.

14. No need for a cooler. Just get all of the linkage set up correctly so that it shifts as it should, and drive it.
    What type of B&M is it? Serial number?

15. pontiac1953

pontiac1953
    from missouri

i have a slant pan hydro stick transmission, that has most of the B&M hydro stick shifter, i won't be using the shifter in my pontiac. here's two pictures of the shifter, and i can take more if you'd like. someone cut the shifter portion above the pivot bolt, but i fiqure a new piece can be heliarc to make it suit you. i'll take $100.00 plus shipping for the shifter. b&m trans 003.JPG b&m trans 004.JPG b&m trans 004.JPG b&m trans 003.JPG b&m trans 003.JPG b&m trans 004.JPG

squirrel likes this.
  16. If the OP doesn't take you up on this, please let me know. I'd be interested in it. Thanks!

17. angelbaby65

angelbaby65

hey guys I just picked up a rebuilt slant pan hydro stick and im looking for a shifter... anybody holding one that they want to get rid of? much appreciated!

warbird1 likes this.