Register now to get rid of these ads!

Time for a new (old looking) garage

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tracer55, Jul 14, 2013.

1. tracer55

tracer55
    from ohio

Ok so the model A, the roadster, and the new 40 sedan have out grown my current attached garage. Starting to look into building a detached garage for the toys. Would like to have it look like an old building and thinking of trying to find some old barn siding. Does anyone on here have a garage that you have gone this route with? (Pictures please)
    Have checked on the GarageJournal but not found much
    Thanks.

2. oldolds

oldolds

You could get a tin shed erected and patina it! :eek:

3. Not a good view but this old garage has the barn siding,,just go to a saw mill and they can supply you with the sough saw lumber. HRP

[​IMG]

4. Found a little better photo. HRP

[​IMG]

5. oldolds

oldolds

Around here you can't use just any sawmilled lumber for building. To meet codes it must be kiln dried lumber, and stamped as such. Darn code inspectors will give you all kinds of problems.

6. Fenders

Fenders

I believe that for the frame but siding isn't structural.

7. Same thing here,,structural framing must the treated and anything that comes into contact with the concrete must be pressure treated. HRP

8. harleycontracter

harleycontracter

If you look into it structural lumber has to be coded and certified but the siding can mill locally milled and far as I know. Just did my garage interior in grade 3 barn siding.

9. We built a facade on the front of my garage using cedar fence boards. Over time it will age and have a rustic look. I would have rather used old barn wood but this was easy and inexpensive. You could have a new metal building and add a facade to get the look you want.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Any one of the coolest yet! HRP

11. modeleh

modeleh

12. SteadyT

SteadyT

Kiwi Kev's still stands out in my mind as "perfect". Outside & inside.

13. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

The Willys garage looks great. We talked about adding a false front to this old milk barn for years.

[​IMG]

We never got around to adding the false front, but we did add on to the back of it, so we could store two more cars under roof.

[​IMG]

14. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

We put old signs, a gas pump, and even a yard-ornament-Model A in front of the new garage, but it still looks like a new garage.

[​IMG]

It's hard to beat and old barn for appearances, even if its a substandard unit for storing cars.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]