Register now to get rid of these ads!

Busted!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CalGasser, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Over here if the OD don't work they pick it up at the safety check. It don't take to long to add a 100 mi with the electric drill.

2. CalGasser

CalGasser

Went to AAA to purchase one of those "red" stickers you're talking about today and nada! The pretty young thing who helped me said these stickers are now issued only if your car doesn't pass smog or if you have a license plate issue like if you're having your current personalized plate repaired or if you're from out of state waiting for new plates... some BS like that. She said she can only issue me a one day moving permit and it's free. She looked up my registration and said my license is current so couldn't figure why I needed the sticker. I told her that my car is deemed illegal (with a fixit ticket) for the street now and I need to drive it to a shop for repairs. Long story short, I walked out without a red sticker. Oh, it costs $50 for 2 months now... the days of $13 are long gone!

Any law officers out there that can chime in on this subject?

3. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Actually you have a speedo, your tach. Get out an Auto Math book and make a reference chart that show's your speed in 5 mph incriminates from 25 mph to 65 mph and present that. This is a legit way of tracking your speed.

4. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

Then they'll add "using your cell
    phone while driving" to the list of
    violations!! :(

Mart3406
    ================

5. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

Well..just make sure to get an old,
    "traditional-style" GPS and nobody
    here will complain. :D

Mart3406
    ===============

6. MoparJoel

MoparJoel

I havent run a speedo/odo hooked up in my dailydriver 57 dodge truck for over 5 years with no worries. I have a gps unit i keep in my glove box, so if a cop is trailing me i know how fast to go, and I kept it "traditional" :D by making the icon the back of my Dodge so it drives through the virtual world as i drive through the real one. and it is perfectly accurate when i put it in my wife's truck.

[​IMG]
    pennysgps by moparjoel, on Flickr

7. CalGasser

CalGasser

Having a GPS is one thing for yourself so you know how fast you're going but the cop wants to physically see it on the car. I know how fast I drive with the tach which I told him but he wants to see a speedo with an odo on it. It's not about a Speedo but an ODO. :mad:

8. hotrod harry

hotrod harry
    from wisconsin

my speedo works and I still get speeding tickets

9. Deuces

Deuces

Gee, I wonder why...:rolleyes:

10. CalGasser

CalGasser

See, told you it about the ODO and not the SPEEDO...:D

11. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Check the CA vehicle code. A "calibrated tach" used to be acceptable as a speedometer in CA and still may be.

12. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

13. 327Eric

327Eric

A friend uses a bike speedometer in his Henry J. Small, and has an odometer. Passed the test in San Francisco.

14. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

15. henry29

henry29

Doesn't look very accurate.

16. CalGasser

CalGasser

17. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

In a head wind you'll be ok (under actual speed limit), it'll be that tail wind that'll get you Busted :D

18. CalGasser

CalGasser

Thanks Mashed, I'll look into this setup as well. I think this is the way to go.

19. BaBa

BaBa

This is true. Get the VC and research the particular violations you were written up for. Your average local cop or CHP has a general understanding of the VC but not specifics esp on older vehicles.

20. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

I'd stay away from stuff from southern rods, Most of what they sell is Chinese knock offs.

21. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

You should have gone to DMV. My neighbor's A100 doesn't need smog but he got one anyway from DMV. He just asked for one.

22. big vic

big vic
    from cary il

if cash isnt an issue this is the best for sure,,,they make some kool stuff,

23. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Back in the '70's I got pulled over for 'allegedly' speeding in my '09 motivated '62 Impala. Officer asked me how fast I was going, I told him I didn't know because the speedo was broke. I showed him the red needle stuck over past the 120 mark just barely in sight. He chuckled and told me to slow it down while in his territory.

24. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

If I get busted, I hope it's for a fix it!

CalGasser, if your going to have nice stuff like you have why not just go ahead and do it right?

Mine might be a pile of shit but it has a working 150mph speedo, gas gage, horn, turn signals with auto cancel, electric wipers, horn and a working E-brake. Although my clock seems to be stuck on 420!

All those gages are vintage SW. The mounting plates are home-made from brushed stainless.

Do you still have a 55 dash in your car? To me nothing looks better!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2013
  25. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I had a friend of mine get stopped in his '55 Ford. The cop said he had an "illegal" license plate and wrote him. He's running a YOM plate. (in WA they call them restored plates). He took the VC section in and got the ticket thrown out.

We carry a copy of the VC with our registration now. Ya never know.:confused:

26. K-88 ghost

K-88 ghost
    from Nevada

I never wrote anyone up for the things I would do, sides who can watch the speedo and watch the road at the same time ? I think the ones that write those C.S. tickets has a supervisor on his case or had a bad night before.

:cool:

27. CGkidd

CGkidd

Hotromyk, Had the same problem with my 50 buick had to explain it to the cop even then he didn't believe me. Got written up went to court judge looked at the paperwork said he wished the local PD's would learn the laws and let me go. Couple weeks later ran into the judge at a show driving a nice 57 Tbird. Calgasser that is a bitchin ride.

28. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

The Judge was right on, this was a Camas PD.

Yeah Calgasser, spot on!

29. CalGasser

CalGasser

Wish the CHP has good humor like that...:eek:

I think I need to get me a copy of the VC and study it. :rolleyes:

You're a "nice cop" and understanding. Unfortunately Calif. is broke and needs revenue. Past weekend coming back from an event, I counted 4 CHP's in a span of about 8 miles - good thing I was trailering my car.;)

I'll go check that out but I think I've got this ticket covered. :)

Thanks CG, we need more judges like that! :cool:

Thanks HRMyk! :rolleyes: