Register now to get rid of these ads!

Best box behind a flathead

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DjNeil, Jul 13, 2013.

1. DjNeil

DjNeil

Are there any six speed boxes that can go behind a late Merc Flattie and is there a custom column that gives you six on the tree.
    If not what would you put behind one for,mainly, motorway miles
    I am open to autos
    Thanks
    Neil

2. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You can keep the Ford three speed and column and go with a converted Volvo overdrive mounted in the torque tube. Its electric and can be shifted into overdrive in any gear. Gives you a six speed. Talk to Rich Little in Bakersfield, CA, he converts them and is well thought of. Lots of Model A's are running that set up.

3. fatkoop

fatkoop

Wow! Never heard of that. More info please. Pics if possible and details, which Volvo, how is it mounted, metric to english problems? Is Rich Little a HAMBER by chance?

4. gkgeiger

gkgeiger

Me too!

5. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

Neil have a word with Gavin on R&S. Pretty sure he's using an Amazon 4 speed and O/D box on one of his cars, quite a few do. Cheap and strong and easy to get on our side of the pond.

Cheers Dan

6. This is similar to a Gear Vendors setup.

Here is a link

7. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

There is also the mitchell overdrive. Doesn't look as natural as the volvo conversion, because it's a square box.

8. If you're using an open driveshaft, a simple borg warner/Tremec T-5, 5 speed is a simple swap. Offenhauser and Speedway Motors make an adapter kit for this swap. I used a '93 chevy S-10 pickup T-5 behind my flathead with an open driveline 1946 ford pickup banjo rear axle. Bolted it all into my old 33 ford pickup. 5th gear is an overdrive gear.

9. DjNeil

DjNeil

Thanks too all.
    checked what mr Gasolinescream recommended looking at and this is a good option

"Volvo 740 4 speed with overdrive or 5 speed is a very easy conversion and transforms the car especially if you fit a quick change as well to get the right final ratio's"

Going behind a 276 that could tow an airstream up the side of a mountain