Register now to get rid of these ads!

puttin a sbc in a 55 ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mikhett, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Larry T

Larry T

That's what Ed Roth did. Pobably for the same reason.

2. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I think its time to put the 351-C in my 37 Chevy p/u,should be alot quicker then that old stovebolt that is in it now.

3. Xdrag48

Xdrag48

Attached Files:

4. Veach

Veach

Did you get your answer ?

5. What was mentioned (and glossed over by the Chevy guys) is '55 is the first year for front-sump pans on Ford cars. So installing a Chevy motor into these isn't nearly as easy as it was with the older cars. If you want to front-clip it, then sure, it'll fit. Or figure on a custom oil pan.

A SBF or FE is a very easy install into the '55-up Fords, with the only glitch being throttle linkage if you use a SBF as the head will be too close to the firewall on the driver side to use the OEM linkage (due the SBF having a 'reversed' head offset compared to the early motors). Easily fixed with a late 60s/70s Ford cable throttle, and as an added bonus, if you still have vacuum wipers the Y-block fuel pump bolts-on to the Windsor motor. Use a driver-side-outlet water pump, and the Y-block lower radiator hose fits perfectly.

6. dad-bud

dad-bud

....................... it seemed like such an innocent question when he first asked it.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

:D :D :D :D

7. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Oh no! Not another belly button 351 swap! ;)

8. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I guess I'm one of those "GM Clowns", since I'm PRIMARILY a Chevrolet guy. BUT, I've also owned other brands, including a 90 Mustang Hatchback LX 5.0, a great car I should have kept. In this case of the SBC into a 55 Ford, I say NO, use a SBF or BBF for sure. I'd include the Y-block, but with the cost of parts, I think a later motor is the only way to go. Trade or sell the SBC, and do the RIGHT thing for that Ford; keep it ALL Ford. JMHO, Butch/56sedandelivery.

9. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

Im a car guy.No allegiance to ford or chevy.Just asking.If its easier to go with a sbf Ill do it.My current car 62 galaxie has a 390 fe that runs great but its a heavy suckjer.Might opt for the sbf.

10. manyolcars

manyolcars

All this from a *mopar* guy. (you do know that mopars were not used for traditional hotrods, dont you?)

11. 33sporttruck

33sporttruck

mikhett, Sorry that the Chevy Haters have turned your thread into another Cage Fight.
    I am still a Chevy Fanatic and always will be.
    My suggestion was to install a Ford (302 or 351) engine with the front sump oil pan. I still think that it might be an easier conversion since your 55 Ford was originally equipped with a 6 cylinder or a Y-Block V-8. (both used front sump oil pans)
    My comments have nothing to do with being Anti Ford or Mopar. I still think that Your Ford would make a Classy Ride with late model Ford Power.
    It is my wishes that you build comes out well and according to Your Plans.
    Good Luck on the build............................Jeff

12. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Hmmm, this is always the exact same reasoning I hear from the rat rod crowd, "it really pisses off the guys who build nice cars." Dead serious here, no humour intended....

PS, If I go out in my shed right now, I find 283's, 327's, 350's, 400's, FE's 289s, 302's, an LA Mopar, and a slew of 383's and 440's. When I see another 350 chevy in a XXX, my first thought is "hmmm, another poor sorry bastard that doesn't have the skill, brains, imagination or good taste to build anything but another 350". I guess if you wanna be that sorry bastard, well, its your car, knock yourself out.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
  13. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Wow, so hemis werent used in traditional hot rods? Man, every time I tune into the HAMB, I learn something new...:rolleyes:

14. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

With all do respect sir the Y-block went away for reasons that I doubt you and your Chevy buddies could ever understand. The first is that the Y-block is waaay more engine than a `50's vintage sbc could ever hope to be. As a result they were alot more expensive to produce. If you ever had the two of them apart side by side I think you could plainly see the Ford was a premium built engine while the Chev not so much. Not knocking the Chevs, and yes they are fast but there is no comparison, with Ford getting the nod in strength and quality.

Second, 1962 happened to be the year that Ford downsized the Fairlane and decided a small lightweight and yes cheaper top manufacture engine was needed, hence the Fairlane V8 at 221 and 260 cubes.

Third, you are wrong about Ford dropping the Y-block in `62. In fact Ford used the Y-block until the late `70's in Brazil and til 1982 in Argentina. There was even a Phase II engine that combined all that was good about the Y-block and the port configuration of the Windsor Fords for better breathing. Yes the Y-block was replaced here but the South American Y-Blocks were well developed and some versions were fire breathing animals.

15. Truckedup

Truckedup

Sometime repowering is not intended to be an exercise in engineering. Do the easiest swap and move on to something else....What engine is that besides a Y block or old Ford 6 ?

16. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
  17. TERPU

TERPU

You guys that knock Chevys in Fords missed from 1955 to about 1976 in the timeline of Hot Rods, but I digress. The SBC is the best engine ever made for the Buck. I love all engines but that one truly changed the game.

A good Hurst Mount and a Tubular trans cross member will get the Job Done. Just remember to stack about 1" solid stock behind the Hurst mount to allow you to run a manual fuel pump. Have fun you are going a very cool way and on a smart budget.

All the best,

Tim

18. kracker36

kracker36

Sell the Ford and buy a 55 Chevy----it already has the correct mounts.

19. Yeah, that's probably what he really wants anyway.... :rolleyes:

20. teddyp

teddyp

now thats well said

21. jan bogert

jan bogert

my model a has a flathead ford, ford with ford, chevy with chevy. that's my law. JMO:):):) Also if your building, I hope u can weld. so make you own.

22. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Wouldn't that be an exciting world of hotrodding!??? Every hotrod having the same brand of engine as the original maker had in it! Why didn't the big three think of this!?

23. jax59

jax59
    from nor cal

i want to know if i can stuff a 289 in a 69 camaro

24. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Are you asking permission? I'm sure the HAMB will let you. ;)

25. jax59

jax59
    from nor cal

also need an adapter for torqueflite trans

26. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Bless you my son! A true hotrodder! Reminds me of my old '40 Chevy coupe I had in high school, with 413 Mopar, and 727 trans!

27. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Good choice on the mouse motor because you will able to drive the car and enjoy it or if you'd rather be working on it all the time and having it sit in the driveway, use a FoMoCo engine.

28. InstantT

InstantT
    from SoCal

Classing up the ford with a bowtie. Nothing more traditional than that.

29. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Fords gotta have Fords in 'em !!!!!!!!

4TTRUK

30. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Fords gotta have whatever it takes to motivate them out on the highway