Register now to get rid of these ads!

What Ford overhead in a 40 Ford?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by klawockvet, Jul 13, 2013.

1. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is there any Ford overhead that will fit in a 40 Ford without firewall mods?

2. Deuces

Deuces

3. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

Are you using stock front suspension or is the car riding on a Mustang II frontend? What are your intentions for the car? Small block Fords fit well by taking just a few precautions. Also if you use an automatic trans, the Ford C4 is the easiest to fit in the X-member area. No trimming involved. Post a few details so we can better help you.

4. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

How? I had a 40 coupe with a 302, it had HUGE firewall/floor pan surgery. I'd sure like to see how you shoehorn a SBF into one.

Brian

5. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

I would like to see one cleanly installed without firewall mods myself.

6. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

Probably because the entire engine was placed behind the front crossmember instead of locating a small portion of the engine above it. If you modify the front crossmember into a deeper design or simply graft a '41 - '48 center section you will clear the front mount oil pump. Ride height is restored by de-arching the front spring. I would suggest using the very compact front cover/ water pump/ accessory drive off of '91- '94 T-bird, '94- '95 Mustang or any Explorer with a 5.0. Ford Racing also sells this setup. That is the most compact and tidy front dress you can get. It will save you 2" of engine length.

7. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

As much as I like sbf engines, I think the sbc is an easier, less intrusive fit. My Son is talking about putting a sbf into his 46 Ford and I am trying to convince him to go the sbc route just to make it easier.

I know there are now shorter water pumps, but every sbf I have seen in a 40ish Ford has required some major firewall surgery. Guess it can be done, but I would like to see how.

Don

8. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

I am looking for pics. Can't remember where I have them. A picture is worth a thousand words as they say.

9. R Pope

R Pope

Y not a Y???

10. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

Best I can do in a pinch. Follow link and click on pic of `40 Ford with SBF. You will notice stock firewall and it is using the front dress I mentioned before. No magic just common sense.

http://www.stromberg-bulletin.com/2012/08/

[​IMG]

11. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Yup. Pictures. It's easy to say something will fit. My '40 had a Mustang IFS, modified front wishbone and a small radiator ahead of where the stocker went, and still didn't fit nicely.

I acquired it that way, so I feel no responsibility for hacking up a cherry '40 coupe...

Brian

12. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Or just use one of the following:

62 or older Cadillac

65 or older Buick Nailhead

Early Olds through 49-60

The holiest of holys, most any early Hemi

Honorable mention goes to a select number of Pontiac combinations.

Any of those choices almost always gets a pass from the Ford-in-a-Ford police, and some of them may also go in with little to no surgery if you place it right. Just don't paint any of them Chevrolet orange and you'll be a'ight...

13. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

Yes and the power to weight ratio increasingly sucks with each and every example you give.

14. Power to weight ratio isn't everything! Appearance matters and SBF engines just don't look right in most hot rods. IMO.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

15. 343w

343w

Aren't there different oil pans also to give more clearance at the front cross member? With that change and a short water pump you shouldn't have to chop-up the firewall.

16. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Hard to tell in that picture, but it appears that there is not room for a fan on the engine side of the radiator. That might work with no a/c, but not with a condenser mounted on the front of the radiator. I have a friend who will be installing a SBF in a 40 for a customer who demands it. If anyone can do it nicely, he can. We will see. I will stick with the little Chevy, although I would prefer a Ford.

17. teddyp

teddyp

i like the caddy or olds or a y-block but the sbc is still a good chioce

18. no55mad

no55mad

Sunbeam Tigers used the SBF. They had a shorter front engine set up.

19. I've got a SBF in my avatar '47 Ford coupe, and the firewall is untouched, and it's got a 2" spacer to get the fan close enough to the radiator....

20. Canuck

Canuck

Like the idea of a Nailhead ---- BUT I sure had to hack up the firewall of my Model A a mega amount more than a SBC would have required. They are long suckers and probably just as wide as a SBC.

Canuck

21. hoop98

hoop98
    from Texas

I think the bellhousing to water pump pulley flange is within 1/4 inch with the 1.75 inch shorter water pump.

22. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Old men are like little kids, there doesn't have to be any rationality for our decisions, we just want what we want and we want it now. For me its to have a 40 sedan like the one I should have never sold back in the sixties. It had a flathead with a 4bl with headers and duals. I plan to build a similar car and drive the hell out of it as a daily driver. I haven't given up the idea of a flathead but I'm open for suggestions on an overhead as long as its a Ford. Not that all the other brands don't make sense because they do. SBC are great motors and fit well but I just don't like them unless they are in an early Vette. Hell, if I were looking for a practicality I would just drive my wifes BMW station wagon. One of the things I reminisce over is the 40 column with its toggle switch ignition, starter button and column shift. I miss the feel of the column shift and steering wheel, so its got to be a standard trans with 3 on the tree. I'd prefer to use the 40 trans and rear end as well as buggy springs on both ends. None of that probably makes sense but its what I want. Another important parameter is trying to not permanently alter a car that someone may want to restore in the future.

23. speedyb

speedyb
    from socal

I think a lot of people "make" engines fit w/o cutting firewalls, but can the car be Easily Serviced after it's done? I mean I see chevys in 40's all the time with stock firewalls & crossmembers and the trans cant be removed w/o taking out the engine, @#$% that.

24. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1373730184.123653.jpg 1949 331 Cadillac absolutely no cutting or modifying anything except minor grinding on the drivers side exhaust manifold to clear the stock shift linkage ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1373730184.123653.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
  25. hoop98

hoop98
    from Texas

Essex 3.8 V6

[​IMG]

26. NINE INCH

NINE INCH

27. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

OK today I was able to get a few pics of what I'm talking about. Maybe this will help. We had my buddy's Flathead powered `47 Ford conv on the lift today to do a little servicing. These photos should help to illustrate the problem area on front oil pump Ford engines into `35 to `40 Ford cars. Note: it is necessary to run a rear sump pan with any`35 - `48 Ford car since that is how a Flathead is set up. The problem is that even with a rear sump pan, the space where the oil pump resides will interfere with the stock crossmember.

Here is the deep channel crossmember configuration that exists on `41 to `48 Ford and Merc cars.[​IMG]

Not the clearest pic, but my hand is in there and as you can see there is plenty of room between the crank centerline and the top of the crossmember.[​IMG]

See, that's me pointing it out.....lol! You can also see the flat spring used in these later cars.[​IMG]

Now here is a good pic in which you can plainly see there is room for a small block Ford oil pan.[​IMG]

I noticed that the OP in a later post stated that he did not want to alter this car too much so that it could be returned to stock if so desired in the future. In this case I would not cut the existing crossmember but rather carefully remove it and install later crossmember of which I have 4. I can part with one at a fair price. Since these later crossmembers are wider the ends can be trimmed and made to fit right where the original came out. No cutting of frame just removing rivits. Not too big of a deal. Additionally if you run a SBF to early Ford trans you will of course need an adapter. There are early 5 bolt versions for 221- early 289 engines available used on Ebay.To run a later 6 bolt SBF you will need to contact Pat Mcguire at Wilcap as I believe he makes that adapter. Hope this helps

28. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Sorry guy, but I did just that to my 40 sedan with 350 / 350 trans with stock firewall. Chassis Engineering mounts and center crossmember plates. Split wishbones with CE mounts. Dropped and replaced trans with engine in place.

29. metalshapes

metalshapes

In that case...

ARDUN-R-1.jpg

30. kracker36

kracker36

Typical thread, Someone posts about putting a Ford engine in a Ford truck and there are more posts about Chevrolets than there are Fords. I have a 289 in a 40 Ford P/U with only a small mod to the firewall for bellhousing clearance.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2013