Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 51 Ford Club Coupe Quarter Window

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chromeazone, Jul 12, 2013.

1. chromeazone

chromeazone

I need to replace glass and rubber seals in the Quarter Window of my little coupe. I can't get the glass out of the frame assembly! Big adjustable pin at bottom seems to keep glass from slipping out. I don't want to force anything. Any secret tricks to pop this glass out?? Thanks!

2. Take the upper pivot apart by removing the little screw that holds the pivot bolt bracket and unscrew the upper pivot bolt. Take the lower pivot nut off and tension spring. Slide the upper pivot, rubber and all out of the frame. Work the lower out by sliding those funny washers off it's splines. They may be tight. Those little washers have a master spline. They are like a little cam stop so the window can't be opened all the way around.
    To install i find it easier to NOT put the rubber in the frame all around but stick the upper and lower pivots through the rubber and put the lower pin in first with the washers etc as you go. Then slide the upper pivot with rubber in the frame, Attach the bolt and little bracket and little screw. Now work the rubber into the frame.
    It's a pain in the ass.:)

3. chromeazone

chromeazone

Thanks for the reply! Since I posted thread I took a nap, had a Friday glass of wine and went back to garage with fresh attitude. I got my box cutter and started carving out chunks of sun baked 62 year old seal. Man that junk is hard as oak! With some prying and cutting, I finally managed to pop top edge loose and realized damn bottom pin was actually pinned to glass molding. I did as you suggested and disassembled washers, etc.from bottom pivot pin. Out it came with glass frame. Yikes, what a pain! I will wait until I get new glass and seal set before I tear into other window, so I don't get lost on reassembly sequence.

Any recommendations for any publications that show this window assembly in detail?? I can't find anything on line so far...
    Thanks again! I'm smiling now!

4. The new rubbers fit good but you have to wrestle with it a bit. Especially with a freshly painted frame. But once you get set up the second one is easier. Took me 1/2 hour to figure out rt rubber from left. lol . Assembled mine while i was watching tv. No need for a picture really once you study the assembly and get into it.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2013

5. 51custom

51custom

You need a Green Bible...'49-51 Ford shop manual. Good luck
    Jim

6. chromeazone

chromeazone

Hi Tedley,
    Thanks again for tips on my Quarter window. Where did you order the seal for your window? I know several places sell them (Shoebox, Mac's ,Steele, etc. ) and they are all about $200 for the pair (Yikes!). Did you do research or have any preference? I sent my frames out for chrome, because that is who I am ! Thanks for any clues or regrets!
    Cosmo in AZ

7. Got mine at shoebox.com But i don't know if they are back up and running.