Register now to get rid of these ads!

Charlie price speed equipment

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodderhaag, Apr 10, 2013.

1. cryobug

cryobug

You hit the nail on the head . He has always been straight with me

1927graham likes this.
  2. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

I've ordered directly from him more than once. Never had a problem. He flew helicopters in Vietnam. Turns out he is a pretty interesting guy. Just leave your name and number and deal with him. His carbs are top notch in my opinion.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

1927graham likes this.
  3. ratman

ratman

Have made three purchases from Vintage speed, he shipped internationaly for me and I was very happy with what I got each time. Would not hesitate to deal with him again.

1927graham likes this.
  4. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

i talked to her once. thats all i needed to know that i would not be buying from them. i've got two ex's that treat me better. and you could hear "wheel of fortune" loud in the background. i will wish them good luck though, it's not easy these days.

5. I just got parts this week, no problems, and I have ordered several time before, all good, had the parts I needed and no one else had, made my customer happy.

6. cooger

cooger

I did the same thing with some end bases. First, placed the order, waited 2 months, many calls.
    Then order was cancelled. Later called, replaced the order, price went up, but did get the things in a week or so. The products were really good, I love 'em, but damm, practically had to beg 'em to make 'em and take my money. Charlie's a good guy, but no businessman.
    cooger

zzford likes this.
  7. I guess I've been lucky with Vintage Speed - spoke with him several times over the phone before I ordered a Y 2-deuce setup that's on my avatar. Really good stuff, no complaints.

As was mentioned, it's hit or miss with them ... unfortunate because his stuff seems pretty nice

8. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

I'm still waiting for his scott tops that he said 3 years ago were going to be out in a month or so....

9. doozcoupe

doozcoupe

I've had no problems dealing with Vintage Speed.

1927graham likes this.
  10. Treated me good. Bought six Holley 94s from him and couldn't be happier with them. I was down in Vero beach this winter and bought one of his stainless progressive linkage setups off him to replace my Eelco linkage that i couldn't keep tight. The man was polite, helpful, and showed my around his place. He does work out of his shop at his house and it's like any shop where someone is busy all the time. Lots of vintage stuff around.

1927graham likes this.
  11. Yep, My stuff arrived promptly. Would not hesitate to deal with them again. Thanks Charlie:):)

1927graham likes this.
  12. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Dealt with Charlie many times and never had a problem, Popped in a while ago on holiday and ended up staying 3 days, Charlie is a great guy to spend time with and has fantastic storys from Vietnam but get funny with him and your on a loser, he don't suffer fools for sure !!!

1927graham likes this.
  13. switchkid0

switchkid0

I have ordered quite a few items from Vintage Speed, but all through eBay. They always say that they will take two or more weeks to ship, and always arrive well under that time frame. They combine shipping, and issue a refund.
    I've had no issues, and the parts look top-notch. I'll gladly order from them again.
    Yes, it sucks to have shipping problems, and it sucks to have communication problems. It also sucks to have people jump on an internet forum and bad-mouth you, usually before having tried to resolve the issue.
    I'm glad that vendors like Vintage Speed are still around. It can't be easy in this instant gratification world.

kiwijeff and 1927graham like this.
  14. My rule, never order parts from a female!

V8-m likes this.
  15. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

The best service your going to get is to purchase off ebay from them.

1927graham likes this.
  16. I have been buying from Charlie for a long time he can sound grouchy
    but I always get what I want and a good product
    had 1 order lost in shipping so he sent it out again ( yea he forgot to ship it). no that did not happen because 3 and 1/2 weaks the first order arrived. he did mail it out when ne said Post mark proved it
    yes some times a little slow but not bad
    if you need help with set up or mods you need to make he will talk you through it

1927graham likes this.
  17. DSCN9575.JPG I have had some warn me about using Charlie Price @ Vintage Speed for my carburetor parts and service. I read the threads on Charlie Price and as an update, I recently had 4 transactions with Vintage Speed and had absolutely no problems with his prices, shipping time or customer service. I will go to him again with my needs. I realize others may have had problems, I had none, and was treated well.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  18. gfbracing

gfbracing
    from Rome Ga.

Ordered carb adapters in the past and had similar experience, thought i would never deal with them again. I was in daytona at the turkey run and ran across them selling at the swapmeet so i stopped and took a look not really intending to buy anything. Spoke with both charlie and his wife and if i could have found a crow i would have gladly ate it, they were some of the nicest people to deal with in person and even though they were very busy setting up charlie took the time to talk to me about my daul carb setup for my flathead and at this point i hadn't spent a dime with them. I ended up buying some carb parts from him and left with a different opinion and some knowledge about 94 carbs i didnt know. I think they are a small mom and pop operation and that has it frustrations, from my experience i would give them alittle extra time and understanding and you wont be disappointed with his products when they arrive.

1927graham likes this.
  19. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Good experience with Dickster also.

20. Blue Moon Garage

Blue Moon Garage

No problems here, very satisfied!! new valve covers right.JPG

21. Blue Moon Garage

Blue Moon Garage

Miss April likes 'em too! Miss April.jpg

22. indyjps

indyjps

I've never dealt with this company or have any affiliation with them. Keep in mind you're dealing with a niche market, where you stated no one else supplies what you're looking for, this is probably an under staffed business, and it's the holidays for them as well. Sure, you hope for better service, but this may be their best with the people available. Try to stay calm and make the best of it, if you piss off the 1 or 2 people who can ship your parts it may take longer. if the quality isn't there, that's a legit bitch

23. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Terrible experience with these liars.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

24. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I ordered a set of jets for a 94 from them. I received a set of obviously used jets of mismatched sizes. This talk of "niche marketing" and all is fine, but in the end they are only hurting themselves by operating the way they do. I would never buy anything "easy" from them, and would only go to them as a last resort. This means they are passing up the "gravy" business and getting the dregs, which is doing it the hard way.

I had a guy that worked for me that had previously been a salesman for a large construction supply company. Every year at the sales meeting, the manager would ask his sales people to give him a list of their most "troublesome" customers and the reasons behind the listing. After reviewing the lists, most of the people on them would get a letter politely requesting they take their business elsewhere. Usually they advised the "customer" of which of their competitors to go. This is probably why they are so crabby at Vintage Speed; they're in a vicious circle of being stuck with the most difficult un-rewarding part of the business.

25. thunderplex

thunderplex

X2 Charlie and his wife are great people. Very helpful.

26. Always ordered on line many times. Got the wrong parts once, emailed them, they replied, sent the right parts. All small orders nothing large but no issues other than the wrong shafts once.
    Charlie has a small place in his home. Shop is not large. When I was there ten years ago he had one part time retiree and a helper. His wife did or perhaps still does all the office crap and often not very well. My son went there three years ago to get some parts and she threw him out....told him they were not a walkin retail store. He was shocked at her abrupt attitude. So yes it is a Mom and Pop set up and I believe easily gets overwhelmed at times leading to a lot of bad press much of which might be self inflicted but perhaps well deserved given the frustrations we hear often.

27. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Anytime the subject of VS comes up you will get people who have had great experiences, people who have had horrible experiences, and people who just know how Charlie and Vera are and accept that they are a little rough around the edges businesswise. Charlie is just Charlie, and you are not dealing with a big corporation when you shop with them, so you may run into little annoyances occasionally. When you call there and ask for Charlie, the intercom system is Vera yelling "Hey Charlie, you have a call !" :D

Personally, I have had good experiences with them, but I have only bought from them face to face at Turkey Run. Buying from them there is a little interesting because they do tend to enjoy a few cocktails during the day, and as the day goes on they get a little happier and more willing to deal. :D When I bought his old dragster scoop this past November he said $40, but when I took a few minutes deciding he said "Too much ? How about $30?" Vera made some comment about him being drunk, but we all laughed and I paid him the $30. He offered to autograph it, but I told him I was going to paint it anyway, so it would be covered over.

I don't think they will out and out screw anyone, but you just have to decide if you want to accept a possible delay now and then. Their stuff is pretty nice (I bought a two carb setup from them a few years ago and got a deal and it worked great) and they do carry some unique stuff.

Don

vtwhead, I loved the part about her throwing your Son out ! Yep, I can see her doing that !!!!!!!!!!:p

Last edited: Dec 26, 2014
    zzford likes this.
  28. briz

briz

have purchased several times, no problems. They sell some cool stuff I couldn't get anywhere else.

29. GetSome

GetSome

Ttt, I'll never use this company again.....horrible.

30. Geez.....he must have really pissed you off! 3 posts in 3 separate threads.
    Luckily this guy has been burning people for years, otherwise without the HAMB I wouldn't have known to avoid him this whole time!