Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bonneville tent camping tips and advice for 1st timer's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NVRRDUNN, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Expedition quality. Like Everest Expedition would be the only thing that would last.

2. 2nd opinions please?

3. What else are you looking for?

4. sdroadster

sdroadster

When I see the sign on the freeway that says Bonneville Exit I am so excited I can hardly contain myself. When I leave, I swear I will never go back to that horrible place as long as I live. Bonneville is like an ugly women with a bad attitude, that is a hell of a roll in the hay. About once a month (or sooner) she is all you can think about, and can't wait to visit. There is no where like Bonneville, but be warned it is not for the faint of heart. I'll be there with my Yellow Studebaker #352.

5. Rex Schimmer

Rex Schimmer
    from Fulton, CA

Been camping at Bonneville for 10-12 years, usually at the mud flats at the Bend in the Road, got caught in the down pour in 2011 and will never camp on the flats again. The experience was not one I would like to repeat. Go up the road that goes west at the Bend and get some altitude so that if (when) it rains you don't have to contend with the mud.
    If you have never been to Bonneville then you had better start planning for next year and the one after that, it gets in your blood.
    Rex

6. I remember reading a thread were a guy didn't think about how much the sun reflects off the salt and had cooked his Balls wearing shorts and no sunscreen in that area,,sounds painful. HRP

7. -Brent-

-Brent-

I think that's a bit of a myth (or he's got some saggy balls :D).

8. Gotta be really saggy or shorts so short they are only ok in San Fran or Venice Beach

9. -Brent-

-Brent-

I've been there a bunch of years and camped all of them. It's probably one of the only places you could leave a tent (roadside) with your food cooler nearby and nothing be tampered with or taken. I kept my beer/water cooler with me because it's important to stay hydrated. :D

Like everyone else said. Sunscreen, a good hat, a white t-shirt, water, a camera, and a good attitude are all you really need.

My first year I walked everywhere. From the start to the pits, from our spectator area to one of the short courses, etc. If you've been there you'd know that could add up to a marathon of distances over the days. I didn't mind - I was happy to be taking it all in.

10. -Brent-

-Brent-

OR BOTH :eek:

11. Cymro

Cymro

Being very fair skinned (ginger) I sunburn very very quickly, I assume that the salt reflects the light in the same way as water, apply sun screen, to your ears (very painful area), beneath your jawline, nose and the tops of your feet which many forget if you wish to ewar shoes again in the near future.

I have found this stuff to be one of the best, not cheap but great sunscreen,

http://www.p20.co.uk/p20-products/

I have no idea if it is available in the USA, but it works, I never used to bother on a regular basis, but since a dark skinned girl friend found she had skin cancer i tend to take more care.

do the Aussie thing:

Slip on a shirt
    Slap on a hat
    Slop on the sun cream

Enjoy Bonneville, I'd like to go too!

12. silent rick

silent rick

i did all those, behind and even inside the ear. one spot i missed was the underside of my nose and sure enough, that's the only place i burned.
    buddy frosty thought sunscreen was for pussies. he got severe sunburn. we were riding up in the elevator at the hotel when i said i smell pork rinds. he said dude, those are my legs.

13. It's a harsh environment for sure, but with a few precautions you'll be ok. I've set up house keeping in worse places. As for the rain storms, they happen every once in a while but you can see them coming a long ways off and the night sky view is worth the hassle.
    Camping at the bend has always been good for me.

14. I am Scottish/Norwegian. And pale, And a guy that stays out of the sun. I wear lightweight breathable hiking pants. Good/padded trail running shoes and as of last year a UV long sleeve shirt. Couple that with a straw or boonie hat and some spray sunscreen about 3 times a day for the face and ears and I am fine. I also wear my dark polarized Bolle prescription shades. They are normally so dark I can not use them but they are like clear on the salt.

15. NV rodr

NV rodr
    from Reno, NV

One of my favorite tricks when the sun is becoming unbearably hot is : Find your biggest (largest by girth) nearby friend and go start a conversation with them but stand so that their shade shadow is blocking the sun from baking the skin off your legs. Works everytime, try it. Plenty of opportunity to use this tactic when there is a lot of people around, like at the starting line.

16. I can second this!! I live in the high mountains of Colorado, USA at 9,600 ft elevation and do a lot of snow skiing. The snow is as bad or worse than the salt, and the high elevation makes it worse yet.

A local dermatologist gave me a printed handout that said NEVER to buy any sunscreen product made in the USA....ESPECIALLY one made by a company that also makes suntan products! He said the US laws are very lax regarding sun screen products and the AUSTRALIAN laws are very strict. He recommended an Australian product called 'Blue Lizard'.

I have used it with great results and no problems. My pharmacy has to order it for me.

17. so....back to the tent question...those of you who make a home on the dirt...what sort of tent do you think we should bring? I mean like... I've got a newer Coleman 10 X 12 tent with the outside supporting rods and rainfly and wondering if it would be ok in the wind howling around like I've heard it does there on occasion without ripping it to shreds? what has been your experience with this and what would you recommend after your experience? (no, not get a room in town!)

18. NV rodr

NV rodr
    from Reno, NV

That tent will be fine. If you see dark clouds forming in the distance go back and flatten it down so its storm proof. Come visit us in the pits. 7800 blown fuel streamliner.

19. Hahahaha, Carl may comment on this one. I HAD the same tent. If a big one comes through, drop that sucker fast. The wind a couple years ago tore shit to threads. We broke my glass rods and it ended up wadded in the mud. Wind was so hard it was folded flat on the ground WITH the rods still trying to do their job. Just watch the weather.

20. 3 or 4 years ago I camped with a tent cot. A wind storm blew in while I was at the truck stop for a shower in the evening. Ended up sleeping in my Trailblazer in the lee of a big motor home and it still rocked all night. Have a plan B.

Charlie

21. Last year at the bend

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

22. Spread wet peanut butter on you kitchen floor and that is what the flats are like. Lotsa fun when they start to dry up!

23. Thanks for that advice...my son and i will look you up on the salt...thanks for the invite. :)

24. Some new info. Mayor Mike from CARQUEST sent out the news that they are grading 5 more acres at the new museum site for camping!

25. h.i.

h.i.
    from denver

Collapse the tent when you are not there, put it back up when you are. Problem solved. That picture of the bend flooded is why we will never camp there again, haha. It made for a memorable trip tho. Had a hell of a a time getting the truck out in the morning. 4x4 diesel ford with mud tires and it was a struggle.

If you want to party, camp at the bend, if not, camp up the hill. You want to be up and on the salt before sunrise anyway, so really, how much drinking do you want to do?

26. WOW!!! FAITH IN HUMANITY RESTORED!!! THATS GREAT NEWS FOR US TENT FOLKS. :)
    And as in all things that gets used by others, we who use it must leave it as good or better than we found it when we leave...otherwise privileges such as this will disappear in a heartbeat..

27. Plus the museum site is on the edge of town so you are close to the food and hotels.

28. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

I remember 40 years ago the mosquitos were bad at night camping off the salt.Big,grey , and furious. Where they came from in the desert i don't know.

29. Was there a slit trench (canal) there then? usually skeeters need./like moisture...and if they cant find it....and YOU are around....well, you get the picture. Just make sure you carry a dryer sheet or some DEET to ward off the ones with landing lights

30. -Brent-

-Brent-

Not wanting to be in the slick goo that was the bend, last year, we just went N.W. of the bend a few hundred feet. Perfectly dry the entire stay. As you can see, the road is elevated a bit.

Attached Files: