Register now to get rid of these ads!

1953 Dodge firing order?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thndrc6kn, Sep 8, 2011.

1. thndrc6kn

thndrc6kn

Hi again everyone,

Does anybody know where I might find a diagram of the firing order for a 230 flathead? I came across one online recently and have been unable to retrace my steps. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Thomas

2. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

3. cowboy1

cowboy1
    from Austin TX

That was quick! lol

4. thndrc6kn

thndrc6kn

you guys all rock! thanks again.

Thomas

5. squirrel

squirrel

many of us have it embedded in our brain stem.

6. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I suppose that somewhere there is a straight six thats not 153624. But I haven't seen it. I do remember Army mechanics school when the instructor burned it into my mind. "I got a date for one of you guys but there is one bad thing. She is 15" Noooo. "OK. She has a sister. But the bad news with her is she's 36" Noooo. All right than, they have another sister and she is 24" Yeaaaaah

7. 53 hemi

53 hemi

ImageUploadedByTJJ1315523458.078363.jpg

Just in case you wanted to see it written in stone.

8. thndrc6kn

thndrc6kn

Ok, so we got the carb rebuilt, the spark plugs gapped, and the firing order proper. She popped really good a couple times and then ran about 2 cycles then we couldnt seem to get a repeat. We tried a couple more times till the battery weakened and then called it a night. Shes almost there, the fire out the rusted off tailpipe was nice. Tomorrow we are gonna try and change the tire if we can get these 1 1/2 lugs to loosen on the driver front. Then we are gonna try pulling it around the feild to see if we can get a compression start. Of course, any suggestions or advice is always welcome and appreciated.

Thanks,

Thomas

9. mustangsix

mustangsix

In some of my old Jag manuals, #1 is the rearmost cylinder (what I normally think of as #6) on an XK. If you just rename them front to rear, it comes out the same.

V6's get tricky, however.

10. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Look out foor left hand lugs.

11. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

Left hand threads on the driver's side.........

12. thndrc6kn

thndrc6kn

Thanks again everyone.

Thomas

13. thndrc6kn

thndrc6kn

What blasting media would be recommended for rust removal on the body of this beauty? Beads? Walnut? Plastic? Or Sand? Or Aluminu Oxide?

Thanks,

Thomas

14. RodStRace

RodStRace

If it's popping and you set the points along with the correct firing order, it's probably timing. Do a search for 'dead timing' to get it close.
    As said, left hand left side.
    Blasting has various issues. Do a search here for lots of threads and comments.
    For those that whine about sending someone out to search, understand that not many people are going to open a thread on firing orders to get the best opinions on blasting.

15. southerncad

southerncad

And don't forget, that your Dodge is 6 Volt... Positive ground:eek:
    And that flathead will sound like it IS going to start if you have it hooked up with a Negative ground....don't ask how I know:D

16. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

RichFox>>>Look out foor left hand lugs.>>>
    Frankie47>>>Left hand threads on the driver's side>>>

Maybe LH on the drivers side from the factory. But not necessarily if it's ever had the drums pulled by a dyslexic mechanic. Replace the LH lugs with RH before they start getting broken off.

Jack E/NJ

17. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

That's why we sugested he look out for them. They might be there and he should be aware of the possability. Just "Look out"

18. thndrc6kn

thndrc6kn

Well the tire is still on. We did get it to fire a lot better today though. She ran for about 10 seconds, she was ramping up and then lost it. Gonna try getting that tire off again tomorrow, as well as turning her over again with a fresh charge on the battery. It just seems like the cranking amps arent quite enough, but then again this is a whole new game for me. Hoping tomorrow ends up with more smoke out the tailpipe than we got today. SO CLOSE I can taste, smell, and feel it. Thanks again all for your advice, it all weighs equally on me.

Thanks,

Thomas

19. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

why change them.......you can't remember L stands for left?

20. squarebird352

squarebird352

Throw a gm one wire alternator in that shit and yank out all that generator mess!

21. The lug bolts are usually marked with a L -left R - right on all the old Mopars.

22. 73RR

73RR

...and another Zombie thread comes to life...