Register now to get rid of these ads!

Barn Find dilema in NEOH

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Erics53, Jul 6, 2013.

1. Erics53

Erics53
    from Ohio

Hey gang,

I was out with the wife cruising the countryside while keeping an eye out for old farm trucks and other cool stuff. I was almost home and then we drove by the motherload of cool old car/truck parts. (location 30 minutes north of youngstown, ohio)I turned around and pulled in the guys house. It looked like it was setup for a garage sale, no signs, and nobody outside. There was what looked like a very shiny T-bucket rolling front suspension, mid/late 30s chevy rounded front end with headlights. Also there was some fire truck body panels and just too much other stuff to remember. I also saw 3-4 vehicles. 50s packard and some 50s trucks. The house and garages looked pretty run down and abandoned.

Here is my dilema:
    I dont have garage space or a truck/trailer to haul home these goodies if they are even for sale. I plan on going back to the place and finding out if any is for sale. Also I will snap a few pics.

I would like to pass this along to someone who is better equipped than myself, but I would also like to tag along to learn a few things.

2. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Oh boy. Now there doesn't even have to be a barn involved.

3. pitman

pitman

Maybe Plowboy has moved???
    Was there a Vicky undergoing surgery?

4. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll be right over!...lol. Great way to start on the Hamb...by offering to share. Welcome, Eric.

And btw...I just may have some kanobbys for your Chevy that you're asking for in the Classifieds.

5. badshifter

badshifter

Bullshit until pictures. Even then, what you described is hardly a mother load, or a barn find.

6. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

Old leatherface was sleeping, and his dad was at the Chili cookoff...

I think you need to check the tax records. Someone snoopin around my stuff is goona get chained up for a while in the basement..

I'm with badshifter

7. Sheesh ... at least a google maps link.

8. KRB52

KRB52
    from Conneticut

Do we dare start on how to wash them once they come home?

9. malcolm1943

malcolm1943

krb52,badshifter,mustang6147, why is it your type always has some smartass response and never anything constructive or helpful to say? If you don't have an answer or help to offer just stay out of the conversation. Eric, I can't help with your dilemma but hope someone on here will, don't mean to hijack your thread but getting real tired of stupid responses to honest questions.
    Malcolm

10. 30FordNerd

30FordNerd

Pictures tell a thousand worlds, so where are some pictures!

11. Erics53

Erics53
    from Ohio

UPDATE:

Well, I stopped and talked to the owner John. He had a 56 chevy 1/2 ton, vw bus, and cool triumph chopper in the driveway. Nobody was around when we pulled in, just as we were about to leave we saw a beat up truck headed up from the back of the property. He looked a bit annoyed that we stopped.

I said cool truck and asked if the 56 was for sale and he said NO not for sale.... my friend spotted a 67 trans am in the guys barn....NO! not for sale, couldnt even walk over to look at it. Since he didnt invite us in for coffee either, we said have a nice day and left.

I guess this is probably average for knocking.

12. No more dilemma. Nothing is for sale. Guy will probably die with the yard full of cool iron. ... only to get crushed. Shame.

13. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Did they make Trans Ams in '67?

Thanks for the update. Hadn't seen a barn thread in two days.

14. Wuz there a kid playing banjo on the porch? Oh yeah, and WELCOME by the way. :)

15. Itchy-Pit

Itchy-Pit

Eric's 53 - Suggest you write not email a nice note and just say - "I did not mean to intrude, I respect your privacy but I want to learn more about the era cars and trucks to keep them alive and enjoyed. Please let me know if I would be welcome to come back at a good time for you." And that's that.

Maybe he's had all kinds of tweakers eyeballing anything light to lift for some quick score. I know I have had to fortify my place for the same reason. And I have had a car trailer grow a motor and drive away and had the building unbolted and all the tools taken. So - be sure to leave a phone number in your note and maybe you will make a good impression and gain a new fiend and potentially a good source. Those guys tend to stick together and he could be your ticket to a treasure trove somewhere else.

Ignore the negative rants from the handicapped people skills folks who have or may respond to this post. They are simply envious. I applaud your willingness to tell the world of your find but between you and I, better to keep it to yourself.:rolleyes: PM me and I can try and give you a lead I stepped on last summer while in Akron visiting my wife's family. At the time he was housebound when we met but he has over 10 acres of cars and trucks 60's-30's.:D

One more thing. Next time you do a cold call best to go alone. It's less intimidating for the owner, and bring along a personal card with your information on it to leave behind. It's a different world than it was 20 years ago and you have to stand out as a good guy to earn the trust. Good luck my new brother and welcome!

16. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

Nope...no '67 Trans-Ams . Therefore,
    It must be a 'one-off", "one-of-one-never
    -built
    ", "double-super-ultra-extra-rare"
    factory experimental concept car. No
    problem if that one wasn't for sale
    though...they show up on epay all the
    time!!:eek::D

Mart3406
    ================

Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
  17. cavman

cavman

I never did understand the "BS without pics" statement. If he saw a bunch of early stuff, he saw a bunch of early stuff. So much distrust in the nation, AND here on the H.A.M.B.

18. It's just a saying. Like how ya doing?:)
    Besides, I don't really trust you.

19. indyjps

indyjps

If he's willing to sell, u haul will rent you a trailer and a haul vehicle. It may a box van, but you can hook up a car and get it home. Go buy an electric winch with long leads, if those cars have been sitting the brakes are likely stuck

20. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

Well said !!

21. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Oh SNAP!!

90 posts and pickin a fight!

Don't take it so personal, it's like hazing.

22. Sounds like he's related to badshifter?

23. Tim333

Tim333

"BS without pics" can I no way be interpreted as someone just saying, "how ya doin". Who you trying to kid? Man up and admit you made a dumb statement.

24. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

25. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

A statement used frequently on the HAMB and elsewhere, just a prod for photos.

Sorta like reading Playboy without the pictures. :(

That said, in this situation I wouldn't be taking or posting photos of anything not visible from the road without permission.

26. modeleh

modeleh

Yes, that response is getting a little over used.

27. This is the Hamb,you have to expect a certain amount of heckling,,you think it's bad noe you should have been here in the old days. HRP

28. Rochie

Rochie

HOTRODPRIMER,
    when I was a kid we had it tough.....we called it the Germ days. I bet you agree on that

29. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Can Rats out early on this one fershure !!! :rolleyes: