Register now to get rid of these ads!

1951 Ford Car dash removal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gerry miller, Jul 12, 2013.

1. gerry miller

gerry miller

Hi,
    Not a new guy but I was wondering if someone could give me some pointers on removal of 1951 ford dash. Wiring is toasted and I have never taken one out. Would rather not fuck up :eek:something on the way out.
    I see two bolts on each end below dash but not sure where the rest are and how to get to them. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks, Gerry

2. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

If it is like my '54 Ford remove the inner trim around the windshield you should find a row of screws along the top of the dash.One little tip take some masking tape and make little tabs on the old wires at the switches writing where it goes to, it makes the rewire less confusing.If you are converting to 12 volt you might consider changing to LED bulbs which come in different colors so you can match your interior theme.

3. gerry miller

gerry miller

Thanks Jeff,
    I thought maybe the trim on windshield might have to be removed and was hiding mounting screws but this car belongs to an old guy 99 YEARS old. He bought it New.. He evidentaly had a new headliner and I was afraid to drop the trim if headliner isn't glued too good.
    Appreciate the response. I think the place that was getting it running hooked up battery for negative ground and this one is positive ground. Either way wires going to amp meter and regulater and generator are roasted BAD!
    Again ,Thank You Gerry

4. redhumphries

redhumphries

headliner should be held in by window rubber not the trim. On another note hooking the battery up backwards will not cause a short and burn wires the wire runs through a loop on the amp gauge so you have a short somewhere. I would replace the wires burned and make sure no bare wires are present. If you hook up the amp gauge and it reads backwards just remove the wire and run it through from the other side. Hope this helps RED

5. If this car is nice enough that you want the wiring to stay stock contact Rhode Island Wireing at http://riwire.com . They have stock replacement harness, repair sections, or correct color coaded wire by the foot or roll. They also have all the correct terminals.
    The Wizzard

6. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Last edited: Jul 12, 2013