Register now to get rid of these ads!

Busted!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CalGasser, Jul 11, 2013.

1. CalGasser

CalGasser

Well, after about 20 years, I finally got busted with one of my Gassers on the street... darn CHP, no mercy! 6 violations, could've been worse.

Luckily it's a "fix it" ticket but my biggest obstacle is no speedo. Can anyone recommend an electronic (or mechanical) type speedo that is compatible with a T5 mechanical drive? I'd like to install it inside a 3" cup like my tach to keep the nostalgic look. Any help appreciated, Vic

2. There are only 2 kinds of street gasser drivers...Them that have been busted and them that are gonna get busted.

What were the other infractions?

3. Maybe even look into a GPS speedo. See if you could get one made with a vintage looking face.

4. Dave50

Dave50

you can down load a GPS app to phone and walaaaa

5. I have a vintage-looking face. But I'm not a speedo. :D

6. I think the GPS is the quickest and easiest. Just carry a Tom Tom or Garmin

7. I agree. A $59 gps unit and your good. A more permanent solution would be a proper speedo. Pretty much any GM cable from the 60s to the 70s will fit on the trans.

8. Ha HA - been there! In 1971 I pulled away from Blair's in a friend's 55 Gasser. The list of infractions was impressive!
    Open Headers
    Slicks
    No High Beam Indicator (told him it didn't have one because no speedo)
    No Speedo (damn, should have kept my mouth shut)
    No Turnsignals
    No Front Plate (No bumper to mount it to)
    No Bumpers
    Tires Sticking out of fenders (Cop said put Mud Flaps on it :eek:)

Oh, and No driver's License - I only had a permit :D

There were quite a few more - Went to DMV, put it on Non Op and the judge accepted that in lieu of fixing everything - told him it was just a race car now. A few months later, he registered it again. And put mufflers on it

9. Blacktop VooDoo

Blacktop VooDoo

Hey CalGasser,
    Sorry to hear about the "bust!" Just out of curiosity, what were the other violations?

10. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

My wife loves it when I wear my Speedo.

11. waterhorse

waterhorse

There's a speedo on your smart phone if you have one.

12. Pawn shop

13. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Them guys have no sense of humor. I am sure one of the SW speedo wil work.

14. AHotRod

AHotRod

Vic,
    Get a GPS Speed-O from the guys at http://www.speedhut.com/ . They can make it look like what ever type of gauge you want it to look like.
    Glenn

15. Well,it sounds to me you have been extremely lucky for 20 years,,you can curse the CHP all you want but they were doing their job.:rolleyes: HRP

16. Wow. Mechanical drive speedometer outputs are all the same speed. Put whatever you want in there, be it from a VW bug or a Cadillac. Probably can find one laying on the ground at a swap meet for under $20. I even had some brand new cables and couldn't give them away - same deal, as long as it has the right ends to match, it will work.

It may not be accurate, because the trans gear needs to be matched to the rear gear ratio, but it will satisfy the legal end of it.

17. ottos

ottos

Ur damb lucky it was CHP ...local police woulda been tickets and body cavity seach and more...lol

18. Fly'n Kolors

Fly'n Kolors

Pics or it didn't happen.

19. Bigdaddyhemi

Bigdaddyhemi

I got stopped and questioned about no speedo. I pointed at the GPS and my cell phone and the cop was nice and said yup you are covered told me to have a nice day and waked away

20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

21. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

File them under C.S.

22. Xdrag48

Xdrag48

23. bgaro

bgaro

GPS?........you should all be ashamed of yourselves.

24. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I'd ask about the 'smart phone in hand' first... California's law on cell phones is pretty specific: "HANDS FREE".
    I got pulled over in my F100 and my phone was on the passenger seat...Cop says, "Did you have that in your hand?" It got close to psychological insult..."Do I want to testify against myself or leave myself open to 'lying to the police'?", I answered. "My fingerprints are on the phone, but forensics will prove that I haven't touched it in 20 minutes...before I started the engine."
    The cop laughed, I asured him I wasn't some daft driver that texts while driving an expensive truck...He asked what year the F100 was, I told him. He said, "Nice truck...have a nice day," and I sighed relief.
    Old memories...

I wouldn't even carry the stupid cell if I didn't have to...Put a cup type speedo in it.
    Pep Boys makes a Sunpro that looks Stewart-Warnerish, and it's cheap.

25. I cant believe that you finally want to fix it after 20 years...

26. Best answer ever

27. I would check with the California Vehicle Code. Unless things have changed, there is no law in CA that requires you to have a speedometer. I was cited quite a few years ago for the same thing and beat it when I asked to see it in the vehicle code. They could, I suppose, call it tampering with the odometer.

A 55 is not required to have turn signals in CA

28. 62RagtopNova

62RagtopNova

The days of having a buddy cop sign it off are over too. I just got popped for too dark a window tint on my work truck and asked my neighbor to sign it off. He had to take it into the station to get it stamped and then it's official and better be fixed.

29. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

Did they say it had to be a working speedo?

30. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

In So Cal a fixit for a burned out taillight bulb still cost you $30 in fees.