Register now to get rid of these ads!

Aluminum boat manifolds on a sbc, in a car ????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rockin rebel, Feb 17, 2013.

1. ok, when yall are done laughing, I have a pair of Edelbrock M-1 boat manifolds and want to run them on my open hood, 40 Ford...I have been told both stories, so I thought I would come here.. Now I DO want to run them, but should they have water flow through, or can I just run them...:confused:

2. upspirate

upspirate

There is a thread on here somewhere about this same topic.

I think consensus was they would melt if run dry.

If run wet, I think you might have overheating problems for the cooling system.

Too bad, they probably would look neat.

3. bttt not much response ????

4. maybe if they had their own cooling system. Might need their own big radiator and electric fans. Would look bitchin, but a lot of work and $$$

5. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

You got your answer, they'll get so hot they'll probably melt. Boat manifolds run cooling water through them, both directly in the exhaust flow, and in a jacket to heat the incoming water that's then circulated to the engine. They look cool on a boat, but you'll have trouble in a car. Unless you only drive VERY close to a lake...

Brian

6. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

They'll work just great---IF you add a large tank of water to the car.
    BUT, you'll probably get a ticket, as the cops won't like all that water spewing out the sides of the vehicle. Also, you will have a very limited range. Wear a swim suit, you'll be fine.

7. jwray

jwray
    from Omaha, Ne

I saw an open hooded car at a cruise in Councile Bluffs, Ia a few weeks ago that had a pair of Nicson marine manifolds on it. I dont remember what engine was in the car but it looked like the manifolds were holding up. I dont have any idea how many miles he put on it but the car was not a trailer queen.

Here is a link to the old thread
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=171548&showall=1

Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
  8. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

The large water tank might work, and hot water sprayed from the exhaust would remind tailgating drivers to back off.

I like it!

Brian

9. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

Didn't pontiac make some aluminum exhaust manifolds (non jacketed) for cars? Dosn't exhaust run through the heat riser on aluminum intakes? Don't we run aluminum heads? They will be fine - run 'em

10. TurboX2

TurboX2

There are two fittings one in the front and one in the rear. If you can run heater hoses in the front and out of the rear and get a circulation loop of water it will work. There are three fittings on a boat one is the dump on the riser and you should not have the riser on a car. But, one dry run and they melt fast.

11. thanks, these are Eldelbrock and look neat as hell. this is just for running around town, stockish motor, no racing.. I will try it and let you know how it works

12. fleetside66

fleetside66

We'd love to see of pics of the whole operation...please keep us informed...those things are so cool.

13. GTS225

GTS225

Aluminum melts at 1300-1400*F, but will get soft at lower temps. I suggest you get an EGT fitted to both sides, and monitor it all closely. I also suggest that exhaust gasses get rather corrosive to aluminum.

You can use that info to come to your own conclusions, considering the probable rarity of the manifolds.

and yes.....pics, or it didn't happen.

Roger

14. Just a thought, how about plugging each end with a reducer and a hose fitting, fill with water and flush periodically. Hell you could plumb a small line with an electric pump to a small tank under the car. 50/50 mix and your good to go.

15. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

NO....at least, not unless you also plan
    on running a' total loss' cooling system
    with long suction hose leading to lake
    or river for a reservoir.

Mart3406
    ==============

16. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Are you talking about intake manifolds or exhaust manifolds? I know they made special marine intakes and these were sometimes used in custom cars because they were lower and would clear a lower hood. If you want to use one, go ahead. It won't do much for performance but it will work, and look novel.

If you mean water cooled exhaust manifolds, why?

But if you insist, plumb them into your heater hoses and run a radiator twice the normal size. You could probably dispense with mufflers. Boats don't use mufflers, the water cooled manifolds quiet the exhaust.

17. For short trips, they will probably be fine...

but exhaust temps on a small block at freeway speeds and high RPMs can get up around 1500F. As mentioned before, the melting point for aluminum is about 1220F.

I have a set (Berkeley logs) on my boat (455 olds) and even with cold water flowing, they still melted a hole through the center port.

18. raderschwein

raderschwein
    from merca

The manifolds do nothing to quiet the exhaust. They're jacketed. No water comes in contact with exhaust gasses in the manifold itself. That gets introduced downstream as hot cooling water is discharged from the engine into the pipes.

19. stimpy

stimpy

for drag racing only and when run on the street they had problems of warping and getting soft .

20. stimpy

stimpy

you probably could get the insides ceramic coated or I can't remember the name of the other stuff its sprayed on like iron some kind of silicon , that will nor let heat transfer thru , kind of expensive stuff but they use it in nascar motors .

21. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Yes, and no. On my Chris Craft, the water is dumped from the engine cooling jackets directly into the back of the manifold, beyond the last exhaust port but still into the manifold itself. The exhaust note is only slightly muffled by the water, but what a beautiful noise!

Brian

22. raderschwein

raderschwein
    from merca

Maybe so but his Edelbrocks don't work like that. Regardless, yes, they do make beautiful noise!

23. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

What does then? I have seen many inboard powered boats, they sound cool and not too loud, and none of them has mufflers.

Not all feed the cooling water into the exhaust. Some discharge the cooling water through a separate drain.

24. raderschwein

raderschwein
    from merca

True. The water definitely quiets things down considerably regardless if it's introduced into the exhaust itself or if the exhaust is discharged below the waterline. There are many configurations. I was referring to the "wet log" manifolds and their usual application. A v-drive or, ahem, a jet boat. See my child like drawing. Around here the aqua fuzz will get you if your too loud. Can't run open exhaust with just water in these types of boats. Gotta have mufflers in addition.

[​IMG]

25. raderschwein

raderschwein
    from merca