Register now to get rid of these ads!

Peterson Memorial Dragway

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nimrodracing50, Oct 4, 2011.

1. nimrodracing50

nimrodracing50

2. notchback

notchback

Wow...thanks for the great pics. Does anyone remember an Orange Z/28 with a black vinyl top? It's at the 12 second mark in this youtube video.. from Peterson.
    http://youtu.be/dq0ooHYodlY
    I think it's my car. I've traced it back to Steve Sweitzer of Jersey Shore, PA. It was sold through his speed shop about 1988. He told me the car raced up at Tipton. I sure would love a picture of it back in the day and an idea who raced/owned the car. Thanks. -Alan

3. 62max

62max
    from pa

Andamo, I hope you get this I am having trouble figuring out how this works. But thanks for the info . Tom

4. Andamo - Just doing some research, stories, clippings, etc. saw your post about my brother and father - do you have anything you can share with me? I'm doing a scrap book of sorts, nearly 78 yrs. old, dad (Joe) is doing his final car show in Pgh., in Jan. '17 - I recognize everyone of the names you mentioned, including Bob Stapes'.

6. I had forgot Sha Na Na did that paint on dad's dragster... I remember EVERYONE would come around to see the Eskimo on dad's car, that was a riske' paint job in the '70's... nevertheless, it was tasteful & beautiful.

7. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I looked on GoogleMaps.Com for the location of this former track/airstrip. Is it the current Park Ave. to the west of Tipton? It looks like an industrial park sits there now. Just curious. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

8. Z28#107

Z28#107
    from florida

I believe you are correct ~ in some videos I have seen, the Mainline of the Pennsylvania Railroad is clearly visible, which is just to the North of this location

9. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

There was a also a wooden board circle track years ago in Tipton that I believe was either 1 mile or 1 1/2 mils in length. This was back in the 20's and 30's

Jimbo

Tipton Speedway.jpg

10. Z28#107

Z28#107
    from florida

11. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Thanks for the great aerial shots of the old track.

I had a customer who owns an old wooden board race car that he shows at many events and he wanted the old Tipton Speedway decal.

I cannot even begin to image how long it must have taken to build a wooden board race track that was either 1 mile or a 1 1/2 large back in the 20's with 20 or 30 degree banking plus all the grandstands for the people.

How many trees needed to be cut down in order to build something of that size must have been really crazy.
    Jimbo

12. Dave Padula

Dave Padula

I live in the next town southwest of Tipton (Bellwood) and as a 12-15 year-old jumped the fence many a Sunday! Sunday! Sunday! to watch the drags there.

I had (have?) pics of my teen years when I and sometimes a friend would ride our bikes the 2 miles down River Road and ditch them out of sight in the woods until it was time to return home.

“Ol’ Man Peterson” would occasionally book Jr. fueler, A/FA or A/FC circuits in, with the high-water mark being Jungle Jim and Fast Eddie Schartman for a match race around ‘69.

Some names I clearly recall competing there on a semi- or regular basis were: Bad Banana yellow Chevy, Deuces Wild C or D/MP roadster, Bulldog Lightner’s wheelstanding, black, “Chizler” ‘57 Nomad wagon, Al Peretta’s red/white/blue, former-Sox & Martin GTX, Delmar Baker’s NHRA-record-holding J/MP “Baker’s Half Dozen”, in-line-6 roadster, and occasionally Dave Gehret’s A/FD blue slingshot and/or his Uncle (I believe) Pappy Red McMahon’s injected B/A with 2-foot zoomie headers.

Every now and then racing would be suspended long enough to allow a Piper Cub to land and taxi out of the way to one of two hangars across from the shutdown area!

Bad Banana likes this.
  13. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Love this shot of spectators on the hill watching the races from the comfort of their cars. Probably playing music, drinking beer and maybe side stepping entrance fees. Cheap date for sure!

[​IMG]

14. doug3968

doug3968

15. doug3968

doug3968

anybody remember a black 57 Nomad that ran well at Peterson Dragway? Class winner.

16. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Looks like it's now Park Ave, in a Tipton, Pa business park. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.