Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 36 ford custom build (MISS SCARLET)

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by kippers 34, Jul 5, 2013.

1. With this side all done im ready to start on the tail panel.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  2. Great Job on the metal work! Looks great!

3. Aaah.Now when I see how the subrail is supposed to look like I have to redo mine.Too bad I didn´t waited to make mine. Really nice job Kipper.

4. tinmann

tinmann

Nice work. Very methodical and craftsmanlike.

5. sproadster30

sproadster30
    from Natick, Ma

Really neat work. I love it! Keep it up!

jammer likes this.
  6. CanUFelix

CanUFelix
    from venice CA

Such a clean job. There is always something inspiring watching precise craftsmanship like yours coming together. This car is going to be great.

7. Thanks everyone for the support. It's kind of hard to start a 36 build thread after Fomocokid, Heyitsnate, Kenneth31coupe, and many others. Hopefully their inspiration has rubbed off a little.

8. Thanks for the translation. I just thought it was a US term

9. Nice metal work.

10. 2racer

2racer

it's a kewl car...

11. With the sides back together it's time to start on the tailpan. First thing is to cut the rot out. Then form a new bottom for the inner pan[​IMG]el.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2014
    Jacob Goodin likes this.
  12. The reinforcing strap underneath was surprisingly solid so I tacked the new bottom to it. .[​IMG]

13. Then I started to form the inner patch. .[​IMG][​IMG]

14. Now the inner patches are formed and installed. Now its time to cover it all up. .
    [​IMG][​IMG]

15. I bought an ems tail pan and trimmed it using only what I needed from it. It fit very well but not perfect so using only what I needed helped. .[​IMG]

16. While welding and cleaning up the tail pan I welded up the tire bracket holes. Then I needed to straighten the dents from the tire bracket and cant get behind the brace without removing it. So with my stud welder I slowly worked out the den[​IMG]ts and the welder also shrinks so the stretching was also worked out. .

17. Now the tail pan is almost finished but without a reference for the corner I left them until fitting fender's to finish. .[​IMG]

Jacob Goodin likes this.
  18. radio_king

radio_king

Subscibed.Very nice work fixing the rot and thanks for the thread.The world needs more early style customs and I hope you stick with the Westergard plan.Any plans to chop it? 5-window chop is one tough task to get the flow right. Good luck!

19. brady1929

brady1929

wow incredible work. i love 36 fords

20. dustdevil

dustdevil
    from illinois

Love 36 fords, nice job on the metal work so far! Nice to hear that someone let go of something that was just sitting instead of holding onto it forever and no one can appreciate it.

21. Just found this thread - Loving the build so far. Beautiful metal work. I'll be using this for reference when I get to the bodywork stage on mine.

Subscribed.

Bear:)

22. Thanks. It's been a great learning experience so far. I couldn't see this car any other way than an early custom. As far as the chop I am pretty sure I have it figured out. Stick around and tell me what you think when we get there.

23. Thanks Bear. If my chassis turns out half as nice as yours ill be happy.

24. Thanks all for the kind words.

25. At this point I was ready to replace the patch below the trunk lid. It wasn't extreamly horrible but it bugged me. As I am watching fomocokid wheel the same patch on his thread so I got him to make me one also. I don't have a English wheel yet so this seemed easiest. Unfortunatly I forgot to get pics. Sorry.

26. It took about 6 months to get to this point and I was moving pretty good. But. I had really wanted to expand my garage. So. I took a few months off the coupe and took the back wall out of the garage. .[​IMG]

27. And added this. Only about 16x18 extra but its a lot more roomie in there now. .[​IMG]

Jacob Goodin likes this.
  28. After finishing the garage and a road trip to pick up milkweed's 3 window. .[​IMG]

Jacob Goodin likes this.
  29. It's time to get back to the 36. So with the body cross braced with 1x1 tubing I lifted it up off the frame. .[​IMG][​IMG]

Jacob Goodin likes this.
  30. And set the body on a custom frame dolly I made by cutting a 39 frame off in front of the cowl and adding casters. Now I can work on the body while off the frame and the body will be supported properly.[​IMG]

DylanHill1931 and Jacob Goodin like this.