Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Hudson Sign - Sell or Keep?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jeff_Neighbour, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Jeff_Neighbour

Jeff_Neighbour
    from arizona

Hello - I have this Hudson sign that a friend is interested in purchasing from me. I don't have any ideas as to the value. It looks like at one time it may have had neon lights (based upon the regularly placed circles. If I were to restore it do you have a ballpark in terms of what this might run me. And if I sold it as is, what would be a fair price? The sign is about 5 ft long and in pretty good shape. Thanks for any input!

Attached Files:

kiwijeff likes this.
  2. henry29

henry29

Uhmm I don't know? I'll give you 25 dollars for it.

3. Standard gas&oil

Standard gas&oil
    from USA #1

Looks porcelain and with the right neon installed by a pro I would think that sign could fetch over $3,500+

4. Standard gas&oil

Standard gas&oil
    from USA #1

Looks great with neon.

Attached Files:

5. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

All I can say is I NEED one of those (last name is Hudson) but I'm very cheap!

6. TULSA

TULSA
    from Tulsa

I'd guess current condition around $1200-1500. With neon, probably $3500-4000

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. VTjunk

VTjunk

My cousin has a Hudson dealer sign in an uncommon size, it's fairly large, and hung on a pole. It's not a neon sign, and he's been offered thousands for that one.

8. modeleh

modeleh

I would keep it. The large signs like that are super rare. Looks like it is baked enamel. I would say it is worth a minimum of $500 as is, more to the right guy.
    I do sign installations for a living, and of course cool signs like that are a thing of the past, everything is plastic now and by the time it comes off a building most is just trash. Any enamel signs are worth grabbing and hanging onto. An automotive related enamel sign of this size is a real find.
    When we need a piece of neon tubing made or repaired, the guy we use charges us $80 per unit. I would ballpark it at around $100 a unit just to give you an idea. So each letter of Hudson is considered one unit, so there is $600 right there, likely done in white. Then the centre shape would have been outlined, likely ruby red neon, you would have to count the holes to figure out how many units it took for that. Then you need to get some transformers to run it, call around to guys that do sign installations in your area, you should be able to get some used ones.
    Check around and get a few quotes to see what the neon guys would charge. If you could get it done for around a grand it would be a good investment.

edit. while typing my post standard oil posted the photo, which is really helpful to show the colors and number of units you will need to have made.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  9. That's a fairly big money sign. $1500 is probably in the right ballpark.

10. Is that a one or two sided sign?

11. I need that sign eh Zap. Having a 28 and 29 Hudson side by side in my shed, it would look great behind them, on the back wall. To far away for me though, but im thinking i will get my sign painter to make me a sign like that. Good luck with figuring out what to do with it.

12. As my grandaughter would say you ''do so need that sign''.

kiwijeff likes this.
  13. Lol, shes so right. This is the sort of thing those picker guys find, buy for nix, and sell for lots. Ill settle for a hand painted sign.

14. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I'll give you a double double with cheese.

15. nimrodracing50

nimrodracing50

Keep it , unless you really need the cash.

16. hudson48

hudson48

I would love that as you can see from my HAMB name.But how do I get it home.I will be over in December so just keep it for me till then.

kiwijeff likes this.
  17. alsancle

alsancle

With the Neon that sign would bring a ton of money. Not sure how much it would cost to put the Neon back. As is the 1500 seems cheap however.

18. now thats sooooo cool ...

19. Do what you have to do,,as is probably worth what someone is willing to pay. HRP

20. $500? Is this 1980? I wish some of you guys that say it's worth $500 were in the business of selling vintage signs, I'd like to buy a few dozen so I can resell them at today's prices. Come to think of it, you probably are, and you're sending PMs to the OP to see if you can snag yourself a deal.

That sign is easily worth $2000+, and if you got the right buyer probably closer to $3500.

21. TheKeystoneKid

TheKeystoneKid
    from Allentown

22. I would keep it........Unless ya really need the bucks.

23. pumpman

pumpman

If it were me I would keep the sign. But with that said I collect signs and gas pumps. Truth be said that sign should go for $4500 to $5000. With neon much higher. Hudson is not a highly sought after brand but the guys that are into Hudson would surely step up for it. Glad to see they are still out there.

24. Pops1532

Pops1532
    from Illinois

Give Dan Matthews at Matthews Auction a call. He specializes in selling petroliana collections and knows the market better than anyone.
    I'd guess $2K to be in the ballpark but talk to Dan before you sell it.
    You can find his contact info here:
    http://www.matthewsauctions.com/

25. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

I'd keep it,........I doubt you'd ever find another like it !!!!!!!!!! And it is definitely worth over $3,000 !!

4TTRUK

26. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

The neon business is 'recharging' of late, pun intended. Many old signs are being rejuvenated, and many more are being 'cloned'. Made to look 'old', but are brand new.

Some young folks are doing neons in new colors, an old art form is being reborn.
    Only damper is the township city councils and the 'sign laws'...

27. no.scar.no.story

no.scar.no.story

I think it's cool. I like old signage of all types, but most of all car signs...

28. C.R.Glow Neon

C.R.Glow Neon
    from stockton

you need a sign can (metal can) transformer, glass, i charge $1000 for this service, as value, it's worth what someone well pay, some of the numbers quoted to you are in the ball park, if you would like sent it my way and i'd be glad to fab up the can and glass for you. RD

29. Well I got my wish, found a new one for sale down here, and jumped on it.

Looks like the OP hasent been here since Feb 2014, so I wonder what he did with his sign.
    Here's my new one.
    Going to look bitchin on my back wall, with the 28 and 29 in front of it. 458751555.jpg

30. AndersF

AndersF

Looks great Kiwijeff.

kiwijeff likes this.