Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs glass vs. steel packs?????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nailheadjay, Jul 10, 2013.

1. nailheadjay

nailheadjay

gonna put lake pipes on my 51 merc custom.. what are the badest mufflers to put on it??? smithys, brockmans?? what are your thoughts... thanks guys

2. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

I personally love porter steel pack's, but in the past I've used brockmans and smithys and even cherry bombs. What kinda sound are you going for? Really Loud with a lot of rap to it? A nice mellow burble at idle that builds to a nice tone you could talk over while driving down the interstate?

3. I second the choice of Porter steel pacs..

4. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Brockmans with no packing will give you the loudest rap. Brock will make'm for you!
    Go with the shortest ones, and mount them as close to the engine as possible.

5. ryno

ryno

6. flat 39

flat 39

X2 on the Brockman steel pack. Loud but not obnoxious.

7. mattrod68

mattrod68

porters, mellowish at low rpms, and nastier up top.

worth every penny.

matt

8. cederholm

cederholm

9. nailheadjay

nailheadjay

thanx for the input.. im looking for a nasty sound that will turn heads!!

10. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

It kinda depends on what engine also --Right?

11. Them tuner POS fart cans sound very "nasty" and I see lots of "heads turn" when they go by.

Saw a ford exploder yesterday with a plugged converter. It whistled like the space shuttle taking off. It sounded pretty "nasty" and turned a bunch of heads too.

Any low compression engine is going to sound really nasty with any kind of pacs and turn heads of those that know. But they'll be looking at it for other reasons.

I like the sound of the porters

12. RatPin

RatPin

I put 25" cherry bombs under my pickup they dump right behind the cab and while they sound absolutely perfect from outside the truck, they are nausiatingly loud inside. Hopefully once the interior goes in it will quiet down or else I may need to rethink my exhaust.

13. I have Porters,glass packs on my Deuces and Flowmasters on the wagon.

The Flowmasters have a deeper rumble but I love the old glass packs the best. HRP

14. Studebricker

Studebricker
    from TX

15. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

I just put MagnaFlows on the F100 with 2 1/2" exhaust. Better flow than the Flowmasters I had on, and a better rumble that won't blow your ears out.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  16. 26Troadster

26Troadster

I like the thrush red bullets, to me they sound a lot like the old tin can thrush.

17. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Every schmuck can have a really loud shitty sounding head turning car. it takes a guy with some money in a motor and some thought in the exhaust to really sound mean.

Just remember, that head turner loud exhaust is what you have to listen to going down the highway, and its what the cop will use to find an excuse to pull you over for.

Used to have really loud pipes on everything, now i go for a more subtle sound, gets old shouting to your passenger for hours at a time on the highway!

18. BLUMEANIE

BLUMEANIE
    from St. Louis

I'm getting ready to go the Porter route myself on my Chev six.

19. newstranger

newstranger

I'm running dual 12 inch "Jones" glasspacks from Summit Racing on my 327 (2" exhaust running out to pencil tips at the rear bumper) in my '62 Impala SS and they sound PERFECT. Plenty of raaaaaap and back pressure snap-crackle-pop (especially with the 4 speed!) when your movin' and a perfect idle tone when you're stopped. Not bad for $18 a piece!

-ns

20. TheKeystoneKid

TheKeystoneKid
    from Allentown

Old Smitty's for me

21. stimpy

stimpy

I am trying to catch the old timer from around my parts to see what he has as it sounds great , almost a inboard boat sound , but it makes a fap noise instead of a pop/rapping noise , large pipes and oval megaphones ( 12" long )

22. Scott F.

Scott F.

I want a nice mellow burble at idle that builds to a nice tone you can talk over at speed. I have a stock 235 but will put fentons on for duals. What do you recommend?

23. stainlesssteelrat

stainlesssteelrat
    from ms

24. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

26" or 30" smithys. They will almost be too quiet at idle and cruising speed, but if you ever get on it they sound excellent. I had 26" long ones on my flathead powered '53 and they were quiet but sounded excellent

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

25. Muttley

Muttley

Not sure what you are running in the Merc but here is a pretty good video with some sound comparisons on a SBC:

I'm planning on a set of Powersticks for my Comet when I have the extra cash, not sure they would be appropriate for your car though.