Register now to get rid of these ads!

5 speed gurus -- have a QUESTION ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by skipperman, Jul 10, 2013.

1. skipperman

skipperman

64 Falcon ... warmed 289 ... will a 5 speed from a 6 CYLINDER TURBO COUPE be STRONG enough ??? and ... will it FIT the bell housing, clutch disc, etc,etc ???

........... Thanks boys, Jersey Skip

2. Barsteel

Barsteel
    from Monroe, CT

6 cyl Turbo coupe from what, a T-bird? Also, is it a T5? I'm not an expert on Fords, but a little more info may help you get the answer you want...

Chris

3. You going drag racing? If so, you should go with something like a Tremec TKO 500.

If you have the transmission already and it bolts up properly with the right clutch and so forth, you should be fine for regular street use.

4. Puddin Head

Puddin Head
    from Mason, Oh

It will drive fine with the 4/6 T5 but you will destroy it once you jump on it. Go ahead and start looking for your WC T5.

5. skipperman

skipperman

Gotcha' !!!!!! I'll be lookin' for a WC ... didn't know if this one was or not ......
    and YEA ... T Bird turbo coupe ........
    ....... jersey Skip

6. the Turbo Coupe was a 4 cylinder. That was a Pinto 2.3 Lima motor and the bellhousing pattern is Not the same. Tranny is pretty damn strong though. I ran one in a Ranger Off Road Baja Race truck that made 300 HP and took the pounding of off road.

The 3.8/3.9/4.2 Essex V6 is the same bellhousing pattern and I currently have one of those T5's in my 302 Falcon - But the input shaft is a different length and has to be changed.

7. S_Mazza

S_Mazza

Ford never sold a 6 cylinder Turbo Coupe. The Turbo Coupe on the Fox platform (1983-1988) had a turbo 2.3L 4 cylinder, similar to the Mustang SVO and Turbo GT. That car used a T-5. I don't know the exact specifics as far as gearing, input shaft, and bellhousing bolt pattern, but I think you might have to change all 3 of those things.

Ford sold a Supercoupe from 1989 to 1995. That car had a supercharged 3.8L V6 with an Eaton M90 Roots blower. That car came with a M5R2 transmission. That could hold a lot of torque, as the car came stock with about 310 lbs-ft of torque. The bolt pattern is Windsor. There is also a truck version of that transmission, but I think it has different gears.

Edit: I see hotroddon beat me to the punch!

8. skipperman

skipperman

S ....... yea ... it WAS a super coupe 6 cylinder supercharged ....... will it fit my bell housing, clutch disc, etc ???? He said it is the "small" shaft made for 350 HP .....Guess the question is .... is it pretty much a bolt in except for trans mount and driveshaft ????

............ Skip

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If it is a M5R2 transmission, it has an integral bellhousing. If it does not, it is not a M5R2. As far as I know, all variants had a hydraulic clutch.

If it does not, it will have a metal tag, under a tailhousing bolt, and a green and white sticker on the top cover. That will have a number that reads 1352-XXX, with the XXX being a three digit number which indicates the configuration.

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is a M5R2 (Shifter location varies by application):

[​IMG]

This is a T5 (Shifter location varies by application):
    [​IMG]

11. skipperman

skipperman

Gimpy ... THANKS man ...... I'll send the seller the pics you posted and see just what it is ......... ;-) ................ just WHAT 5 speed WILL BE a bolt in and have some strength ..... 94 Mustang??? OR ????

....... jersey Skip

12. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

13. tylercrawford

tylercrawford
    from Buford, GA
    1. S.F.C.C.

Mustangs came factory with a t5 including the cobras/special variants. If its a windsor motor its a t5. Some were worldclass . . . and there are a few hop up parts for t5s but the problem comes from the case. It just isn't strong enough for a lot of torque (no idea what the cutoff is, guess 300+ft-lbs) and you can break just about any t5 if you powershift it. 3rd is notorious for breaking

If you plan on racing it at all, buy a tko. Or at a minimum a 3550 which probably wouldn't be too bad with a warmed over 289 but the price difference out there isn't much different.

14. S_Mazza

S_Mazza

As Gimpy said, the M5R2 has an integral bellhousing. The 3.8 (at least the RWD version) had the same bolt pattern as the common 302 and 351 engines, which is very convenient. But like Hemiman said, if you have an early 289 with the odd bolt pattern, it may not work for you! In that case, you would probably be better off with a T5 or related transmission, which would be easier to adapt.

15. AND as I said, the input shaft is a different length on the V6 than the 289/302/5.0, and it gets expensive when you bolt them together without this tid bit of information. Guess how I know :rolleyes:

16. skipperman

skipperman

These are the numbers on the tag

E7ZR 700-AA

H1882

B-52-162

These numbers are on the case 3-52-066-919

So ..................... WHAT IS IT ?????

... thanks boys, Skip

17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If it says Borg Warner on the case, anywhere, it is a T5. Almost all of the case part numbers, where visible, start with 1352-, except for the top cover, which is shared with the T4, and bares 1351-, the T4 prefix.

It looks like there is a digit or two missing on your tag, and two combined:

E7ZR 700-AA should read E7ZR-7003-AA, the 3 is missing.
    B-52-162 should read 13-52-162, it looks like the 1 and 3 ran together, to make a B.

1352-162 Specs out to:
    Ford 1987 Mustang/Capri 2.3 L4 EFI WC (WORLD CLASS)
    Reverse: 3.70
    1st.: 3.97
    2nd.: 2.34
    3rd.: 1.48
    4th.: 1.00
    5th.: 0.79

3-52-066-919, with an added leading 1 as 13-52-066-919, is a valid Borg Warner part number for a Ford configuration T5 transmission tail housing casting.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2013
  18. skipperman

skipperman

Gimp ... he says the trans and bellhousing are SEPARATE PIECES and they ARE the numbers on the trans ???? ( he doesn't have the bell housing ....) now what ???? Was that trans ever made with a separate bell ???

... Skip

19. skipperman

skipperman

Gimp ... you must have sneaked in an answer as I was writing .... so .. is it a GOOD trans for a warmed up 289 ??

. thanks man, Skip

20. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Maybe. The input shaft is a little longer, and smaller. Might be on the edge of strong enough, and it will need a spacer, or trimming to get in there.

21. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

I don't think so. You will have to work hard to adapt it to the 289 and it will be far weaker than a V8 T5. There are so many Ford V8 T5 from the 85-93 Mustangs that I wouldn't look twice at a Turbo 2.3 T5 for use behind a 289.

All Mustang T5 from 85-93 are WC (83-84 are NWC). The 89-93 are stronger due to changes in the alloys used in the gearset. The '94-95 are the same as the '89-93, but the input shaft is about 3/4" longer.

The 4-cyl T5 has a 3/8" longer input, but it is far skinnier and finding an appropriate clutch disk means you're cobbling something together when you don't have to.

Using a V8 T5 out of a Mustang means everything will bolt up to your 289 - bellhousing, clutch, disk, & T5...

22. I recently installed an '87 Mustang GT five-speed in my '66 Fairlane powered by a "warmed-up" 289 using the stock 289 bell-housing. I bought a spacer to accommodate the longer input shaft and it was pretty much a straight-forward bolt in after that, and well worth the effort.

23. S_Mazza

S_Mazza

Unless his 289 has the oddball bellhousing bolt pattern, which is a good possibility in a '64. As mentioned above by others.

24. JEM

JEM

I would not run a stock, used 4cyl T5 behind any V8 (well, I suppose a stock '76 2bbl 302...) It will break, and the parts you come up with to accommodate the unique input shaft will not fit when you swap to a V8 box.

The V8 T5s have taller low gears and will live well enough in most applications up to 300HP, there's plenty of 2.95-first Z-code boxes (FMS crate part, never OE) that live decent lives behind 351Ws often with minor upgrades e.g. billet input bearing support, but any of 'em will break if beaten on.

Input shaft lengths vary between 4cyl, Fox V8, and SN95 V8 T5s. SN95 ('94-95) input shafts and bellhousings half an inch longer, most commercial conversion crossmembers, mounts, etc. expect the shorter Fox bellhousing. Also Ford-pattern WC boxes came with GM (26-spline?) input shafts in third/fourth-gen V6 Camaros.

Fox bellhousing will bolt up to 6-bolt (not 5-bolt) 289 but that means you'll need a cable (or hydraulic) clutch conversion, headers and exhaust made for clutch linkages may not clear cable clutch protuberances on bellhousing (and vice-versa - headers that clear cable-clutch hardware may not clear linkages.)

There are probably conversion plates or bellhousings out there for 5-bolt motors, I don't know, if no one on here does Bruce at Modern Driveline definitely would. They won't be junkyard-cheap.

If you're collecting Fox V8 parts remember your 289 is (if a stock or stock-build non-HP motor) 28oz external balance, Fox 302s are 50oz, shop flywheels carefully.

Suggest browse around http://www.moderndriveline.com, http://www.mustangsteve.com, http://www.rosehillperformanceparts.com for some idea of what's out there, what's commonly done.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
  25. skipperman

skipperman

Youze guys are the SHIZZIT man !!!!!! Thanks a bunch ..... I'll tackle it now MUCH BETTER INFORMED !!

....... jersey Skip