Register now to get rid of these ads!

HA/GR in Minnesota

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by bobw, Jan 14, 2009.

1. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    Cold and rainy again. We were lucky Saturday and had a great first Billetproof Show.

Here's a short video (click on the picture) of how it idles, cold, with no chokes. The stumble I mentioned is hard to hear on the video and might go away when the engine is warm.

Update: I made a couple 100 foot runs up the driveway. Way better than with the 2 2 barrel carbs. Still much to learn, but the rains are back.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  2. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    A simple scoop for a simple car made by a simple man.
    Did another 100 food driveway run today. Two nice faint tire tracks for about 30 feet at half throttle, It appears I have first gear with the selector in first and second. Will check shifter adjustment tomorrow. The carb set up seems quite good.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
  3. Old28

Old28

Sorry to hear about the weather your way, been nice and clear here in Central MI for last few days, but that means the rain from your area will be here in a few days. This is a bad way to start spring. I have seen more rain in the past 3 weeks than in the last 6 years in Bakersfield.:rolleyes:

I do have to say that when the weather clears for a few days theire is a car show or vintage tractor show within a few min drive, went to local car show yesturday and a vintage tractor show today, add 12 baseball games that grandkids played and it should be like this until we leave July 5. Time with the grandkids is time you can never get back.

Your driveway tests sound encouraging, now for the track if the weather will help us out.

4. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    It's not much, but it is proof the thing runs with the 3 1 barrel set up. My camera operator left a lot to be desired.:p CLICK ON PIC

5. Old28

Old28

Your going to wear that 100' section of driveway if the weather don't change in the next few weeks,;)

The sound on my laptop is out and I need to run all the video's from the guys when I get home, these silent shows ain't cutting it. :rolleyes:

6. RacerRoy3

RacerRoy3
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Say bobw are you still planning on making to the Meltdown next month?

7. bobw

bobw

Bad news. After two aborted passes at the drag strip last fall and 10 short shots up the driveway, I have become sure the car only has first gear. It has first gear in second and 3rd also. I probably messed something up when I put the shift kit in the valve body. Today I pulled the valve body and found a fair amount of friction material in the trans pan. Fluid smells burned too.
    I have a spare stock trans and am thinking of putting that in so I can get some seat time in the thing at the strip.
    Racer Roy, Looking doubtful for a trip to the Meltdown Drags. Bills piling up and no one to watch the dogs. And now mechanical difficulties. I'd like to have a good running race car before taking it 400 miles away from home.

8. RacerRoy3

RacerRoy3
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry to hear about your transmission woes bobw. I was really looking forward to seeing the 'Bullet in action. I know all about being short of funds. I just took delivery on a extra shortblock. Maybe sometime in the future some of the Midwestern HA/GR's will be able to get together and have a little fun like the guys out west and in Tulsa do.

9. Old28

Old28

Sorry to hear about your trans problem Bob. You may have the right idea for a temp replacement (old used stock trans & converter).;);)

This SDRA car of mine has kicked my A-- more than the last two 800+ HP cars I have run, but I will get it right sooner or later. You will too.:D

10. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    Got the car torn apart today. Cleaned up a good (assumed) used trans and put a restrictor in the 1-2 gallery. Everything else will be stock in the trans for now. Should be back draggin' in the driveway early next week. I just want to get down the strip consistently. If all goes well, a better trans and a high stall converter will go in this winter.

I have been getting great advice from Don Dolmetch who has a slant six Senior Dragster and posts on the main board.

11. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Hey Bob, if all else fails you could always put a stick in it. :eek:

12. Beau

Beau

Lookin good and sounds nice!

13. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    Thanks, Beau. You guys did a great job on the first Minnesota Billetproof.
    64 Dodge 440, yes I would have left the stick in except for the cost to be NHRA legal. A requirement around here.
    I was putting the converter on the new/used trans (the silver one) and smelled the burnt fluid again. So I have been sucking the fluid out. I'll throw a quart of new ATF in the converter, swish it around and suck that out too. Then, put it all back together and hope for the best.

14. Old28

Old28

Just got back in town and have my regular desk top computer to use again and was able to play the video with sound. Your motor sounds like it idling around 500 RPM and sounds good. I will see if mine is better with the rebuilt carbs. Good luck with the trans change.

15. bobw

bobw

Oh stupid me. I didn't realize the first transmission was a lock up version. So was the converter I had loosened up. Well that converter wouldn't fit the older trans I put in the car so I now have a stock, used converter. Big step backward; old trans and old converter. I did run it on jack stands tonight and it shifts through first and second. I'll back off on the throttle valve setting and try it in the driveway tomorrow. Pretty hopeful it will have all the gears. Fortunately, it idles fine with the stock converter.

Got an oil leak and an ATF leak to fix. then I might finally get it out to Test and Tune.

16. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    Even with the stock trans and converter, it idles fine in gear. I left at idle and just went about half throttle. The driveway is just too short to get the trans to shift. It sure feels like it is pulling strong.

The rubber tracks are 5 5/8" wide.

17. Old28

Old28

Looks like you got something you can work with. Maybe a test & Tone soon. ;)

What air pressure in the tires?

18. bobw

bobw

Tom, no science in the tire pressure. In fact, the left tire is at 11 lbs. & the right tire is at 20 lbs. That's what they leaked down to over the winter. Doubt I would run those tires as low as 11 lbs.

I ran it up the driveway tonight and the right tire left a much better print. The left tire did not show a tread print in the middle.

I snapped the gas pedal to the floor and it instantly killed. Second time I "squeezed" the gas pedal enough to leave some rubber and accelerate in a manner that felt really good. I have a Crosley that runs 6.80's in the 8th so I have a yardstick to judge by. The dragster seems to pull quite hard after a few feet.

19. Old28

Old28

Ya Bob, I ran my rear radials at 18# the first time out. I hope to run the front MC tires at 10# to soften them a little and maybe help the front end bounce, but I do have the friction shocks on now and that should help a lot.

That carb operation sounds just like what I had. I am hoping that the squirter's with a full load will take that out on the hard leave. I got the carbs mounted and plumbed, will test them in garage later this week. I want to change peddle throw, it is to quick from off to full on.

Tuff working in a shop that's 100+, will be this way until weekend, then maybe in mid 90's.:eek:

Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
  20. Sailor Mike

Sailor Mike
    from Indiana

Bob,

Just read through the whole thread and wanted to tell you that your car is pretty awesome and inspiring!

Mike

21. bobw

bobw

Sailor Mike, thank you for the kind comments. My big failure is I never get out to the track.

Tom, looks good on your carbs. The trouble with the Holley 1 barrels I am using is the accelerator pump diaphram is actuated by a spring. The speed of the stroke cannot be adjusted. The throttle linkage merely gets out of the way and the spring pushes the diaphram. I might be able to increase the volume of the initial shot by opening up either the passages or the squirters, whichever is the restriction.

22. Old28

Old28

bobw -- That is very interesting, I am a real dummy when it comes to these one & two barrel carbs, not much better with a 4 barrel as I recall. Now alcohol fuel injection and I feel more at home. After talking to Eric at GoCat Speed Shop last week and talking about the problem I was having, I would try the squirter's first if you have any spar ones as they are the easiest to get to on a 2 Bl may on a 1 Bl also.

Mine has no hesitation when you slap the peddle now. Much, much better.

Do you think it will ever stop raining back there? We saw a lot while at the Grandkids place.

23. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    Just like Meatloaf sang: All Revved Up and No Place To Go. The car is 100% back together. I want to slide in here and let her rip. Unfortunately...Saturday is forecast to be a rainy day. No Test and Tune.

Also....

24. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    A wood tick got me in the ear a couple days ago and it kept swelling. Hurts a lot too. Went to the Doc today and even though there's no proof it's Lyme's Disease, he's treating it as such. So I'm on an antibiotic.
    In addition I mentioned a chronically sore shoulder which has been getting worse. Makes it hard to get out of the dragster. I start physical therapy next week. If that doesn't help then it's on to cortizone. Been pretty much a one armed builder since early spring so I hope this helps.

25. Old28

Old28

That picture of your driver area make me very envious as for all the leg room you have. You did a much better job of planning and setup.

With my left shoulder some what sore most of the time and by lower back still not good, I can hardly get in & out on a good day. I still want to drive but the old body is saying just let the kid shoe it for a while. I like tuning almost as much as driving so I am OK with it. Hope you conditions improve soon.

I have sent a couple of PM to Don and he has provided some good information, I will PM you it next week.

26. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    Went to the Meltdown Drags in Byron, Illinois Saturday. What a great nostalgia drag event!
    Bob Huberty from Wisconsin was there with his former HAMB dragster. Since the HAMB dragster class has virtually dried up in the Midwest Bob has made some changes. The car now sports Hilborn injection squirting methanol. The block is run dry.
    I was planning of bringing my dragster down to run against him. I went as a spectator, leaving the car home, for good reasons, in my view. It's a good thing as Bob's 11.60 second runs would have totally destroyed my slow ride.
    I met Bob and visited with him for a while. What a great guy.

27. beebee78

beebee78
    from illinois

Thanks for coming !! Next year bring the car out!!! Hope you had fun!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

28. Old28

Old28

bobw -- That is a great look for a former HA/GR, they kept the look and increased the speed, real fine job.

Are you thinking injected slant 6 next;):rolleyes::D

I got the trans/convertor out and install my used 8" race convertor, should have it back in by next weekend. Then we will see if it was a good call. So far it has not cost me anything but time.:rolleyes:

29. RacerRoy3

RacerRoy3
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

bobw, I wish that I had known that you were making the long trip down to Byron. :( I would have gone on up just to have the chance to meet you and talk HA/GR's. Hopefully the "drought" of HA/GR's in the mid-west will end in the future. I have assembled all of the parts to a HA/GR "kit" and hope to assemble it this winter after I move to my new shop.

30. bobw

bobw

Yes, will definitely have the car there next year. It's a very laid back event so no pressure. Just fun.

RacerRoy3, get that car together for next year's Meltdown. It would have been nice to meet you. Once I determined I couldn't race I was not planning on going. It was a last minute decision to attend.

Tom, no injection for the slantie. There was a thread recently on that subject and apparently slant injection set ups are very rare. If I ever run enough to determine the maximum performance of the slantie and think I need more, I'll go to the 300" Ford 6 that is waiting it's turn.